Supreme Court rejects appeal to block taping of Police in Illinois.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
That is to say, the Supreme Court upheld an appeals court ruling that banned Illinois from enforcing a law that made videotaping of police in the course of their duties a crime.

LINK Thanks to the Chicago Trib.

The Supreme Court has rejected an appeal from the Cook County state's attorney to allow enforcement of a law prohibiting people from recording police officers on the job.

The justices on Monday left in place a lower court ruling that found that the state's anti-eavesdropping law violates free speech rights when used against people who tape law enforcement officers...

Last May, a federal appeals court in Chicago ruled that the law “likely violates” the First Amendment and ordered that authorities be banned from enforcing it.

They (the ACLU) still plans to get the law kicked off the books.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good call by SCOTUS on this one.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
How about Missouri or Indiana ones? Florida?

:)

The part that bugs me is, a court case reached and was ajudicated by the Supreme Court, not to overturn the law, just to uphold the prevention of the law from being enforced. They get to do it all again for the law itself.

This system is screwed.

(Hi Don!)

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
My apologies. The point stands. ETA: Hopefully it won't take a trip to the Supreme Court for the state to drop the law. But I wouldn't put money on it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well, I think the hope is for a legislative fix. That's the appropriate step: based on the federal appeals court ruling, the law should be taken off the books. And in my view, that's a better way than having the Supreme Court strike down laws. Will the Illinois legislature do the right thing now? Who knows...

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Yeah, that law was ridiculous, infuriating, and terrifying in its implications. It's been a big deal in local news for a few years.

The Chicago police, to their discredit, have been pushing to keep the law, making it an arrestable offence to even take a picture of a cop arresting someone.

However, public and media sentiment is strongly against the law. It probably helps that the police have lost some very high profile cases, including this one, where a giant drunk off-duty policeman was convicted of beating up a tiny female bartender only because it was on a security tape and only because the woman's lawyers made the tape public after it became clear that the police were burying evidence and planning not to press charges.

There has been more than a little comment that knowing that they can legally be recorded may make the Chicago police more diligent about honesty and dealing with what they claim are the few bad apples in their ranks.

K.L. Bennett

A floopy flolloper
Registered
Reaction score
I used to think it was a given that you could record police while in the regular course of their duties, so long as you did not interfere. I mean, that's what organizations like CopWatch rely on...

Good call on the Supreme Court's part, and here's to hoping Illinois does the right thing.