This is a fantastic graph. It makes me happy.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
http://blogs-images.forbes.com/matthewherper/files/2012/11/1101_gates-diarrhea-chart_290.jpg

What you see is a graph of infant deaths from diarrhoea in Mexico. There are a lot of high, high peaks - which means that a lot of children died every time the rota virus came back - and then it flat-lines.

In 2007 nationwide vaccines against the disease were introduced. Some children still died, but I don't think it is possible to achieve a zero rate. But look at how the graph flattens out.

Many many children live now that would not have lived if the vaccines hadn't been introduced.

Doesn't that make you happy?

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That's wonderful. I think our society only has anti-vaccers because they have lived in such safety delusions could prosper.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes. The anti-vaccers aim for the peaks-and-valleys time of that graph because nothing in this world comes with a 100 per cent guarantee. Their reasoning that because something does not give that guarantee one should not do it is short-sighted and dangerous. It's wanting the peaks and valleys of that graph instead of the flat-line.

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
That's wonderful. I think our society only has anti-vaccers because they have lived in such safety delusions could prosper.

This exactly. It's easy to claim the vaccines are the problem when you've never seen the horrible effects of the diseases they prevent.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome graph, awesome news, and yeah...vaccinations are one of the biggest net positives in the world.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Very encouraging. Sometimes, it seems like we're not making any progress, but... sometimes it seems like we ARE!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I have read that a lot of parents in Mexico willingly give their children canned soda like Coke and Pepsi to drink because they fear the safety of local tap water. This might hopefully put a stop to that practice.

Back in the middle ages we used to solve that problem by drinking delicious ale (well, 'small beer') with meals instead of water, a practice I am doing my best to keep alive today.

Anyway: brilliant news. This is, I'm guessing from the URL, at least partly thanks to Bill and Melinda Gates' foundation?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The Gates's are doing some damn good vaccination work around the world.

And being rewarded with rumors that their vaccine include sterilants because they are trying to wipe out black people. Not good deed, etc.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Back in the middle ages we used to solve that problem by drinking delicious ale (well, 'small beer') with meals instead of water, a practice I am doing my best to keep alive today.

Anyway: brilliant news. This is, I'm guessing from the URL, at least partly thanks to Bill and Melinda Gates' foundation?

I took the graph from a very polemic article in Forbes. The point of my happy little jig wasn't about the swipe at the stupidity of anti-vaccers (which I don't mind, mind you) but because it was the chart that made me happy. As such the article itself isn't very useful or valuable or interesting or thought-provoking. So, it seemed kind of silly to discuss it.

The chart's the thing.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Aren't these vaccines made by evil pharma companies?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The seasonal vector is called 'rota virus'. That's what the vaccines were against.

And from a visual analysis, that trend has changed. One could wait to test statistical significance, but I'd put my stamp on any positive change that had that clear of an improvement.