New name for Los Estados Unidos de México?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Well, the story does say it is a "non-urgent" item.

Hmm, if you change the name, and require a change of currency to match the new name, then folks with old money would have to trade it in for new money.

hmmm. (Just a theory.)

names

Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to offend mexicans. I think since their country is in a drug crisis, that taking drugs should be considered a diasability and I hope people do agree since it makes sense from my own thoughts on the matter.

Also innovation is very important, and I think making it a country with even more representatives might be a unhealthy proposal.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to offend mexicans. I think since their country is in a drug crisis, that taking drugs should be considered a diasability
??
Mexico produces drugs, yes, but taking drugs isn't an overwhelming national problem for them. The latest data I could find, from the Lancet, shows that 5% of Mexicans have experimented with illegal drugs. Contrast that to the 42% of Americans who have used marijuana, and the 16% of Americans who have used cocaine.

Mexico also has quite good substance abuse programmes available to its citizens, and a national health care system.

names

Registered
Reaction score
Well maybe they have a good educational system so I was mistaken that maybe they had experimented with so and so they do so on a scale that is large. Some of the news I have heard from Mexico suggested this. I know for a fact there are lots of good stable parts of mexico. By the way I do remember being taught not to take drugs in the united states when I was around 8-11 years old. I dont know much about mexico other than the fact that there is evidence to suggest it is one of the most violent countries in terms of crime in latin america. But you made a good point since I guess my statement needs numbers, and I'd just be complacent and say the media does distort a lot of things people see and as such shouldn't be taken as such. I have discussed some matters with my brothers who happen to be graduated in international relations and political administration. They read phamphlets of information all the time to represent the country I am from embassies with information collected from the united states government. Plus one of my brothers I know for sure is graduated from latino studies and international relations.

But yes, a united mexico I do not think would work. Innovation is key and that is why leaders who are great thinkers need to be in have the power and good intentions. In fact south africa hasnt supossedly settled on a form of government such as the united states, they have considered it from time to time.

Last edited:

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But yes, a united mexico I do not think would work.
names, I don't think you understand the OP. The idea has been put forward to change the name of the country, from The United States of Mexico to simply Mexico. It would be like changing The United States of America to simply America. It's just a name change. It has nothing to do with the form of government.

From the article cited in the OP:
Mexico was given its name of Estados Unidos Mexicanos in the 19th century, when the country's post-revolutionary founders harked to the United States of America as an example of democracy and freedom to follow. "The name of our country no longer needs to emulate that of other nations," Calderon said.

Blacbird, is this Calderon's diplomatic way of saying that Mexico would like to dissociate itself from the US because of issues between the countries/the US's image globally/US cooties?

names

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize, I made a lot of posts that try to contribute but it seems people believe I was attempting to derail the topic. The second paragrapth though while it doesnt cement the fact the thread sounds like it will talk about two topics, was in my innocent belief a good contribution. Becuase for example where I am from we even copied the unknown soldier memorial from united states. Please don't ask why but it's a good example of things that shoudn't be done. I even remember one time in mexico they did want to apply daylight savings times like the united states does everytime it hits the period of time in year. And once again I wasnt trying to be rude.

edit: I am not from mexico I apologize, seems as if my information got lost in translation. I don't understand mexico news/affairs that well. I thought I did.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Blacbird, is this Calderon's diplomatic way of saying that Mexico would like to dissociate itself from the US because of issues between the countries/the US's image globally/US cooties?
That was one of the possibilities I was wondering about.

But don't just discount my fiendish theory out of hand.
New name equals new money. Requiring new money means folks have to explain where they got all this money they have to trade in. Folks with ill gotten gains? Hmmmm.

It is an idea that has been floated and tried (and failed by the way) in the past.

Unimportant

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But don't just discount my fiendish theory out of hand.
Oh, I'm not! Given that one of the Republican presidential candidates seriously wanted to return the US to the gold standard, I don't put anything past politicians. And my cynical mind would automatically assume that the Mexican president was heavily invested in some money-laundering businesses.

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Oh, I'm not! Given that one of the Republican presidential candidates seriously wanted to return the US to the gold standard, I don't put anything past politicians.

:)

One thing we've learned is that many politicians have a bad habit of not learning from the past. Can't think of a reason why the same wouldn't be true south of the border.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Well, considering that the Hispanic nation south of our border (aside from Cuba) that dislikes us most is Los Estados Unidos de Venezuela, I doubt it. I was just amused that such a trivial issue should even arise. But, then again, our state governments are forever passing legislation to authorize things like official state fossils (mine has one, does yours?) . . .

caw

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well, considering that the Hispanic nation south of our border (aside from Cuba) that dislikes us most is Los Estados Unidos de Venezuela, I doubt it. I was just amused that such a trivial issue should even arise. But, then again, our state governments are forever passing legislation to authorize things like official state fossils (mine has one, does yours?) . . .

caw

Actually it's República Bolivariana now, though. Estados Unidos was actually phased out by a pro-US dictatorship in the 50's to guarantee less federalism and more central government, something at first glance I suspect may be a factor here, I don't know how Calderón feels about centralism.

But thinking it has something to do with the US seems arrogant to me. You know, on a second thought, perhaps is simply to avoid confusion since the United States is simply known as such to Latin Americans and never "America", so it makes sense to mark a different between "The United States of Mexico" and "The United States".

To be frank, Mexican Federation or Republic of Mexico sounds better to me. I always thought Mexico used "Republic" and "United States" interchangeably.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The whole Central Vs. Federal government is an old Latin American headache, by the way. Venezuela has been nominally a federation since the 1850's but we could only elect governors and mayors from 1989 onwards and have state and city flags since the mid 90's, but we had state and city coat of arms.

By the way, this is my state flag.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Pfft, you guys are reading way too much into this. Calderon's most probably dicking around until December 1st when his term ends (THANK ALL THE GODS).

The names are pretty much interchangeable. My government credentials establish me as a citizen of the Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Estados Unidos de Mexico, Estados Unidos de la Republica Mexicana, Republica de Mexico and Mexico.

Last edited:

Williebee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The names are pretty much interchangeable. My government credentials establish me as a citizen of the Estados Unidos Mexicanos, Estados Unidos de Mexico, Estados Unidos de la Republica Mexicana, Republica de Mexico and Mexico.

Did anybody else get the image of Kaiser standing in the bank security vault scene in the first Bourne movie, looking at the safe deposit box with the line of various passports?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Pfft, you guys are reading way too much into this. Calderon's most probably dicking around until December 1st when his term ends (THANK ALL THE GODS).

¡Carajo! How many Mexicos there are?

Honestly, though, no doubt there's a confusion there.