San Fran nudity ban introduced by a guy named...wait for it..."Wiener"

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
The 11-member Board of Supervisors is scheduled to vote Tuesday on the ordinance, which would prohibit exposed genitals in most public places, including streets, sidewalks and public transit.

Scott Wiener, the supervisor who represents San Francisco's predominantly gay Castro District, introduced the measure in response to escalating complaints about a group of men whose dishabille is an almost daily occurrence.

"Some people have tried to paint this issue as some sort of a gay rights issue, and it really isn't," Wiener, who is gay, said. "It has nothing to do with gay rights. This is about behavior in our neighborhoods and trying to be respectful of one another."
"Member," "Wiener"...the jokes just write themselves. (And, yes, it's pronounced "weener.")

And, seriously, what is it about phallically named guys that seems to align them with stories like this? A year or two ago we have a Weiner trying to show his, and now a Weiner is trying to keep other people from showing theirs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121120/us-nudity-ban/?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=green

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about public nudity is that it's often just because the person is an exhibitionist and gets off showing despite other not wanting to see.

But really it's not the responsibility of the public or the government to make sure people are permitted to publicly indulge in their various fetishes.

Go be naked at home, basically.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
In Ontario, Canada it's perfectly legal for women to go topless down the street.

Canada.

Yeah, don't see a lot of that. But we have the right.

(Just not the right weather...)

:D

It's all well-and-good to make something legal that you already know people won't do...

:D

To the OP? I'm all for yielding to a prevailing wind ;) but I'd like to know if there's any established evidence of harm from passive exposure before I encouraged a legislator of mine go off on this kind of tangent.

If there are residents who are attention-seeking, that's another thing entirely from passive public nudity.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
I think therein lies the problem. How do you balance legislation like this to allow the behavior for reasonable folks yet restrict those who are obviously abusing the freedom in an obnoxious way?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I think therein lies the problem. How do you balance legislation like this to allow the behavior for reasonable folks yet restrict those who are obviously abusing the freedom in an obnoxious way?

Thoughtfully.

I mean: I have dogs. There is town legislation that governs a citizen's right to have dogs.

The neighbors have a right to not hear dogs rabble-rousing from the hours of 10pm-10am.

People who routinely leave crying pets outdoors overnight, or otherwise neglect to police their pets' verbal enthusiasm during off-hours, may individually find themselves without the right to keep dogs.

If someone is flashing, waggling or otherwise drawing attention to his unclothed pelvis, then let him individually lose his right to fresh air.

Otherwise, my personal policy would have to be: His Eyes Are Up There.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, seriously, what is it about phallically named guys that seems to align them with stories like this? A year or two ago we have a Weiner trying to show his, and now a Weiner is trying to keep other people from showing theirs.
[/url]

I think somebody's had a rather unfortunate school-life.

Some people (my old friend Claude Bottom among them) really would have been better off re-named.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about public nudity is that it's often just because the person is an exhibitionist and gets off showing despite other not wanting to see.
Nudity is not exhibitionism.
But really it's not the responsibility of the public or the government to make sure people are permitted to publicly indulge in their various fetishes.
Nudity is not a fetish.
Go be naked at home, basically.
This sounds a lot like "I don't want to see gays kissing in public. If they want to kiss, they should do it at home."

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"I don't want to see gays kissing in public. If they want to kiss, they should do it at home."

Hang on, though. There are a whole lot of behaviours (people kissing not among them) that should be restricted to home. Don't you think?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
There are nudists or people who just see no point in a law that requires clothing and then there are exhibitionists. The question would be how do you write a law that can discern the difference between someone who say while sunbathing in their back yard didn't want to get dressed to go get their mail and someone who likes to come out starkers just to shock?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Nudity is not exhibitionism. Nudity is not a fetish.

But it can be and often is indicative of both. Which is what I said.

This sounds a lot like "I don't want to see gays kissing in public. If they want to kiss, they should do it at home."

Uh no, it sounds like "I don't want to see people nude in public." If we were talking about the right for men to masturbate near playgrounds, I doubt you'd make the comparison. But from a practical standpoint, public masturbation is just as harmless as public nudity. This comes down to cultural norms and majority preference. Some things do, others shouldn't. It's pointless to discuss it any way than a case by case basis.

I'm thumbs down on hairy schlongs in my peripheral as I ride the metro. Two thumbs down.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Nudity is not exhibitionism.
It most certainly can be. Of course, not all nudity or public displays of nudity are examples of exhibitionism, but some absolutely are. It depends on the intent of the person doing it. But, it's incorrect to assert that "All A are not B."

Hasty, sweeping generalizations are often fallacies because they're, you know, hasty and sweeping.

Nudity is not a fetish.
Wrong again. It certainly can be what's known as a "situational fetish" once it crosses into exhibitionism. Exhibitionism can then cross the line into a paraphilia.

Actually, it doesn't sound anything like that. I certainly don't think it sounds like that to Mr. Wiener because, being gay himself, I doubt he'd propose anything with homophobic intentions, especially not in San Francisco. He'd most certainly be committing political career suicide.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
But it can be and often is indicative of both. Which is what I said.
Most often it is indicitive of neither. People who show exhibitionist and fetish (that is, sexualized) behavior in nudist camps are routinely ejected. For most nudists, it has nothing to do with sex or "getting off".

Uh no, it sounds like "I don't want to see people nude in public." If we were talking about the right for men to masturbate near playgrounds, I doubt you'd make the comparison. But from a practical standpoint, public masturbation is just as harmless as public nudity.
And by implication, public nudity is just as harmful as public masterbation?

This comes down to cultural norms and majority preference. Some things do, others shouldn't.
Cultural norms and majority preference? Really? Blacks riding in the back of the bus was defended as cutural norms and majority preference. Refusing gays marriage is defended as cultural norms and majority preference. It's really easy to use that argument when you're part of the majority, isn't it?

It's pointless to discuss it any way than a case by case basis.
And yet you're willing to view all cases of public nudity equally by saying "Go be naked at home."

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Most often it is indicitive of neither. People who show exhibitionist and fetish (that is, sexualized) behavior in nudist camps are routinely ejected. For most nudists, it has nothing to do with sex or "getting off".
Yet, that in no way rebuts your incorrect statement that "(All) Nudity is not exhibitionism."

Cultural norms and majority preference? Really? Blacks riding in the back of the bus was defended as cutural norms and majority preference. Refusing gays marriage is defended as cultural norms and majority preference. It's really easy to use that argument when you're part of the majority, isn't it?

Did you seriously just compare some naked dudes walking around San Francisco to the often violent, deadly struggle of blacks and homosexuals for equality?

Tha's not only intellectually low brow to the point of nauseating, it's offensive and shameful. Your debate rhetoric needs some serious work.

And yet you're willing to view all cases of public nudity equally by saying "Go be naked at home."
Much like you're willing to view all cases of public nudity as harmless?

Pot, kettle.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about "nudist camps." A person in a nudist camp clearly has committed to a lifestyle and wants to he around similarity minded people. Someone riding a public bus nude, a little different.

And by implication, public nudity is just as harmful as public masterbation?

Obviously. Do you disagree?

Yes and "people shitting into their own hands on street corners" is also a matter of cultural norms and majority preference. It's not the defense that is problematic, it's what it is occasionally used for. Plenty of harmless things are illegal and there are very few people who disagree with each instance. I'm simply acknowledging that there are "victimless crimes" that should remain crimes. But really, I consider myself a victim when someone jerks off next to me. Bystander consent and what not.

ETA: when I say "case by case" basis I meant more "topic by topic." As in no, not every will of the majority should be catered to. Also laughing that I'm a member of "the majority" because I was clothed when I checked my mail this morning.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
It most certainly can be. Of course, not all nudity or public displays of nudity are examples of exhibitionism, but some absolutely are. It depends on the intent of the person doing it. But, it's incorrect to assert that "All A are not B."
No, you've got it backwards. Exhibition may involve nudity, but nudity does not require exhibitionism. Therefore saying "nudity is not exhibitionism" is logically true. They are not equal.

It is absolutely correct to say "All A are not B".

Hasty, sweeping generalizations are often fallacies because they're, you know, hasty and sweeping.
Indeed they are.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Well since I never said nudity = exhibitionism, it looks like we all agree.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
No, you've got it backwards.

One of us does and it's not me.

Exhibition may involve nudity, but nudity does not require exhibitionism.
I never said that nudity requires exhibitionism. Your generalized statement says, by its construction, that nudity is never an example of exhibitionism. That is inarguably wrong. If that's not what you meant, then perhaps you should choose your phrasing more carefully in the future when putting forth arguments.

Therefore saying "nudity is not exhibitionism" is logically true. They are not equal.

It is absolutely correct to say "All A are not B".
No, it's really not correct to say that in this case.

Some nudity absolutely is exhibitionism. Not all of it, but some.

Your statement, "All A are not B" is an incredibly clumsy premise in its wording; it is equivalent to, "No A are B" (i.e. No nudity is exhibitionism). Which is a universal proposition.

The natural syllogism that would follow would be fallacious.

In this context, you can only truthfully say that, "Some A are B" and "Some A are not B." (i.e. Some nudity is exhibitionism. Some nudity is not exhibitionism).

Really, this is Logic 101. I can draw some Venn Diagrams if necessary, but the fact remains that your logic in this case is faulty and your claim is clearly incorrect.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
And, seriously, what is it about phallically named guys that seems to align them with stories like this? A year or two ago we have a Weiner trying to show his, and now a Weiner is trying to keep other people from showing theirs
Supervisor Scott Weiner is not on any crusade. His legislation was in response to escalating complaints from the citizens and merchants in the ultra liberal, mostly gay Castro district.

I think the real problem is that the vast majority of the people who wish to be able to sip their lattes while sitting on a public bench nude in the middle of a busy public area are physically unattractive.

I mean, when you're over in the Castro shopping, you avert your eyes -- not out of shame or prurience, but because of the gross out factor.

I'm only partly joking. The ordinance exempts certain areas of the beach, plus festivals and street fairs.

What it's attempting to address is the concerns of people who while waiting for the bus with their children, have to share a bench with a hairy overweight naked dude, sprawling freely, skin puckered like a plucked chicken in the chilly San Francisco air.

Really, no one should be forced to endure that.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about "nudist camps." A person in a nudist camp clearly has committed to a lifestyle and wants to he around similarity minded people. Someone riding a public bus nude, a little different.
The point about nudist camps is that in thousands of them around the world, sexualized behavior is not allowed. Therefore nudism is not sexualized behavior because nudists themselves to not allow it.

Obviously. Do you disagree?
Obviously. It's a false equivalency. There are people (millions of them) who believe that a woman who shows her face in public is as bad as a prostitute. I disagree with that as well.

The idea that to simply view a naked human body is harmful in and of itself it preposterous.