Is anyone a speech therapist, or know one? (for MG research)

deblyfe

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is 12 years old and once had a speech impediment. Though the impediment is resolved, she is terrified to do any public speaking. An invitation to do just that is the inciting incident. She realizes she must do it. Terror sets in.

I am hoping someone reading this is a speech therapist or knows one. I need to understand a few aspects of speech impediment treatment to incorporate into my MG novel. I anticipate needing only about 15 minutes on the phone or could ask my questions through private email exchange. Any introduction to a speech therapist is appreciated. Thank you.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
:welcome: deblyfe!

I'm not a speech therapist, but what kind of speech impediment does your MC have? There are all different kinds and they show themselves in different ways.

I think your story sounds interesting. Keep writing. :)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I am not a speech therapist, but I did have to see one after acid reflux did a number on my vocal chords. In my case, I had had vocal training as a teenager. The therapy was similar to the vocal training I had had. You may pm me for details if you wish.

Public speaking anxiety is the most common phobia of all. It is not treated by speech therapists as far as I know, but by counsellors and psychotherapists.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My boyfriend is doing clinicals for speech therapy. Send me a PM and I'll pass on your questions if you'd like. :)