PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Cult Movie?

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Not be confused with "What's Your Favorite Movie?" You can define "cult" anyway you want.

William Haskins
01-24-2006, 07:37 PM
ed wood. i don't think any explanation vis-a-vis its cult status is necessary.

NeuroFizz
01-24-2006, 07:43 PM
ReAnimator. Classic cliche horror with exaggerated overacting. Perfect watching, right down to the glowing secret reanimating syringe.

aka eraser
01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Basket Case and ReAnimator would be right up there. I was also one of the 14 people who saw and loved Rocky Horror during its original release. I'd add Dark City with Keifer Sutherland to the list. I love the nod to Fritz Lang's Metropolis in the set design.

I'm forgetting a few. This is going to be one of those threads where I say "Oh yeah! That one too!" a lot.

D.J.
01-24-2006, 07:56 PM
Caddy Shack

MadScientistMatt
01-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Plan Nine from Outer Space. It's my favorite of the "so good it's bad" genre. Some of the props are so aweful they aren't recognizable as what they should be, such as trying to use a square shed to represent a round flying saucer. Continuity editing is non-existant, with scenes alternating between night and day and car models changing from one shot to the next. And to top it off, when Bela Lugosi died during the filming, Ed Wood tried to compensate by (1) splicing in inappropriate footage from old vampire flicks and (2) bringing in a replacement actor who looked nothing like Lugosi and tried to hide that by always walking around holding his cape in front of his face.

travNastee
01-24-2006, 08:45 PM
The Boondock Saints. It's the best (and most well loved) movie that you've never seen. Seriously, if you want to see a cult...go to the website and check the forums...

Shadow_Ferret
01-24-2006, 09:09 PM
Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Shwebb
01-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Any of the "Evil Dead" movies. I LOVE Bruce Campbell.

Especially in "Army of Darkness." I highly recommend that one for the quotes from the movie that'll stick in the head looong after the credits roll.

BTW, I think these are all Sam Raimi movies.

maestrowork
01-24-2006, 09:47 PM
Donnie Darko!

PattiTheWicked
01-24-2006, 10:12 PM
I love Army of Darkness. One of my other favorites -- and I'm not sure it falls under the heading of "cult classic" really, but it should -- is The River's Edge.

clintl
01-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Repo Man is the one that comes to my mind first.

Perks
01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
I do love Army of Darkness, but I'm not sure I've ever stayed awake for the duration of the battle scene.

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2006, 10:46 PM
I love Army of Darkness. One of my other favorites -- and I'm not sure it falls under the heading of "cult classic" really, but it should -- is The River's Edge.

I give River's Edge the cult classic okay.

clintl
01-24-2006, 10:48 PM
When I was in business school getting my MBA, watching The River's Edge and doing a group project analyzing was one of our assignments in an Organizational Behavior course.

Shwebb
01-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Celia, maybe you need to put down what you consider to be a cult classic.

To me, a cult classic would be a movie that mostly flew under the radar and/or was low budget and is popular, but only to a relatively small group of people.

Any "B" movie should automatically be under consideration, I would think.

But please, clarify.

MacAllister
01-24-2006, 10:54 PM
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/)

More here (http://www.towson.edu/%7Eflynn/banzai.html).

Although, Harold and Maud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067185/) is a close second--for entirely sentimental reasons I won't go into.
:rolleyes: *sigh*

Oh, Oh! And you didn't even include Rocky Horror Picture Show (http://www.rockyhorror.com/). What were you THINKING?

maestrowork
01-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Brazil. That movie is just too bizarre for words.

aka eraser
01-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Good ones Mac! Fred Ward is great. If you like him (or even if you don't) check out the original Tremors (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100814/) too. It's a hoot and a half.

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Celia, maybe you need to put down what you consider to be a cult classic.

To me, a cult classic would be a movie that mostly flew under the radar and/or was low budget and is popular, but only to a relatively small group of people.

Any "B" movie should automatically be under consideration, I would think.

But please, clarify.

That's pretty much my definition, too. Or a big budget that has a small but loyal following for unusual reasons.

But if you can explain why you think it's a cult film, be my guest.

I chose Battle Royale, btw.

MacAllister
01-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Oh, oh! How could I miss the original Tremors! Frank's right--if you haven't seen it, you gotta.

Go. Rent.

This minute.

I'm serious. Get up and get your keys and go to the video place of your choice.

Yeshanu
01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Amazon Women on the Moon. :tongue

trumancoyote
01-24-2006, 11:26 PM
I picked Battle Royale out of laziness, but it does have some ****ed-upedly hilarious scenes -- like when what's-his-Japanese-face holds the megaphone up to that girl's mouth and shoots her, so everyone on the island can hear her groan.

Gotta' love it.

clintl
01-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Brazil. That movie is just too bizarre for words.

If Brazil is a cult movie, that's my choice.

Marilyn Braun
01-24-2006, 11:51 PM
Reefer Madness & Planet Nine from outer space

Celia Cyanide
01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
I picked Battle Royale out of laziness, but it does have some ****ed-upedly hilarious scenes -- like when what's-his-Japanese-face holds the megaphone up to that girl's mouth and shoots her, so everyone on the island can hear her groan.

Gotta' love it.

That's Kazuo Kiriyama. He's totally sick, but hot.

I like the video they have to watch at the beginning.

LloydBrown
01-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Tromeo and Juliet.

MacAllister
01-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Labyrinth (http://www.fast-rewind.com/)

Unique
01-25-2006, 12:36 AM
The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's the only one I know.

Oh, maybe Mondo Caine (but it was before my time ( (somewhat). )

Jaycinth
01-25-2006, 12:41 AM
I could sit all day and watch the movies you all have validated. They are delightful.:popcorn:

I do like "Beast With A Million Eyes" simply because I couldn't understand what the?????? And, of course "Plan Nine...."

But I have to date myself and vote for "Rocky Horror" just because I had so much fun dressing up and going out to catch the midnight shows.....and because it takes off on so many campy horror flicks.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Wonderful memories all!

robeiae
01-25-2006, 12:41 AM
ReAnimator. Classic cliche horror with exaggerated overacting. Perfect watching, right down to the glowing secret reanimating syringe.
Ditto.

Rob :)

Maryn
01-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Tod Browning's Freaks (http://imdb.com/title/tt0022913/). With, you know, real freaks, made in the days before the term was an offense. I'm just not sure what else to call a guy who can roll and light a cigarette with his feet, except 'talented.'

I taped it off the air before it was available on video and recently got the DVD from Santa Claus, who knows my tastes quite well.

Maryn, wishing you all a gooble-gobble moment of acceptance

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2006, 12:59 AM
Gooble Gobble, and Gabba Gabba Hey!

writerterri
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
I know i'm not the brightest link in the chain, but what's a cult movie?

Be nice, I'm fragile today.

Me

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2006, 01:11 AM
Basically, it means a movie that has a small but dedicated following. Although many films, like the Rocky Horror Picture Show wouldn't exactly be described as having a "small" following. I think you can include films as "cult classics" if they are classics, but not in the sense that Casablanca is a classic. Does that make sense?

writerterri
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
Thank you celia.

Moulin Rouge. I didn't hear of anyone in my circle liking the movie. I loved it.

Bewitched. Didn't do too well but I like both of the actors and the lines were very funny.

(yes I like Nicole) Is there anything that's out of place on that woman?

There was an old black and white movie of a blind white girl who beaded neclaces under a tree and a black man who bacame her friend and later they fell in love. It was during the segregation days. Anyone remember that movie? I saw it one night, late, and loved it.

Celia Cyanide
01-25-2006, 02:23 AM
Do you remember any actor and/or character names?

silentpoet
01-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Shakes the Clown
UHF might qualify for cult status but it is borderline.
I have the Buckaroo Banzai DVD.
Bubba Hotep is more of a cult movie than Army of Darkness. But I do like both movies.
Orgazmo has some awesome funny scenes.

Shwebb
01-25-2006, 03:18 AM
There was an old black and white movie of a blind white girl who beaded neclaces under a tree and a black man who bacame her friend and later they fell in love. It was during the segregation days. Anyone remember that movie? I saw it one night, late, and loved it.
I think you are referring to "A Patch of Blue." Shelley Winters played her nasty mother (and won an Oscar for that performance) and Sidney Poitier played the black man. I don't think the movie was B/W, though.

poetinahat
01-25-2006, 03:23 AM
So happy to see Repo Man here.
And Shakes.

Haven't gotten to see Ed Wood yet. Why?

Also would add "Invasion of the Bee Girls". Alien women with stingers in their privates who seduce earthmen and sting them to death during climax. Plenty o' gratuitous boobs and zero plot.

Oh, yeah. HAIRSPRAY.

Unique
01-25-2006, 03:24 AM
I think you are referring to "A Patch of Blue." Shelley Winters played her nasty mother (and won an Oscar for that performance) and Sidney Poitier played the black man. I don't think the movie was B/W, though.

It was on my TV. :D

silentpoet
01-25-2006, 03:26 AM
So happy to see Repo Man here.
And Shakes.

Haven't gotten to see Ed Wood yet. Why?

Somebody mentioned Ed Woods on the first page.

The opening scene of Shakes is awesome. I hope one day I can write an opening that fits the work as well as that beginning.

Shwebb
01-25-2006, 03:34 AM
I know it was already mentioned, but I did really enjoy "Amazon Women on the Moon."

David Allen Grier's "Black Men Who Have no Soul" gets me every time. Every time I hear . . . shoot . . . there's a black guy who has been around forever, and he sang standards. He sang "Misty." Anybody know this guy's name?

poetinahat
01-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Somebody mentioned Ed Woods on the first page.
I saw that. What I meant was that I haven't seen the film yet, and I have no excuse. Sorry!

The opening scene of Shakes is awesome. I hope one day I can write an opening that fits the work as well as that beginning.
Oh, Florence!

Carole
01-25-2006, 03:35 AM
Ed Wood was disappointing to me.

poetinahat
01-25-2006, 03:39 AM
Ed Wood was disappointing to me.
Dude, I was told that about Coffee and Cigarettes too! Are you saying I've seen all the good ones? :D

My-Immortal
01-25-2006, 03:41 AM
Monty Python and the Holy Grail...

Perks
01-25-2006, 03:42 AM
Oh, oh! How could I miss the original Tremors! Frank's right--if you haven't seen it, you gotta.

Go. Rent.

This minute.

I'm serious. Get up and get your keys and go to the video place of your choice.

I have to rep you both and publically acknowledge your fabulous taste! I forgot all about Tremors. Love it!

tiny
01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
Evil Dead.

kristie911
01-25-2006, 03:46 AM
Blue Velvet

Dennis Hopper was classic in that movie...I can watch it over and over.

maestrowork
01-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Clerks.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures

Maryn
01-25-2006, 07:45 AM
Oh, yeah, the first Bill & Ted. Saw it again over the recent holidays, and it holds up really well--such innocence, such fun. (However, the way it's edited for TV takes a lot out of it.)

I have to add Valley of the Gwangi, the blend of claymation and the old West.

Maryn, who only has it on tape

poetinahat
01-25-2006, 07:48 AM
I have to add Valley of the Gwangi, the blend of claymation and the old West.

Wow. What a combination. I must find this film.

threedogpeople
01-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Dr. Strangelove; my favorite part is Slim Pickens riding the H-bomb.

Plan Nine is so campy that it works; my favorite part is the monster singing "I want to eat your face. It would be so yummy.".

Plus, John Lithgow in Buckaroo Bonzai is at his comedic best. My favorite part is where Lithgow hooks up his tongue to the electricity.

Oh, oh, and last but not least, Blade Runner. Harrison Ford plays "beat up" better than any other actor.

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 02:15 AM
The Fifth Element

Celia Cyanide
01-26-2006, 02:37 AM
Plus, John Lithgow in Buckaroo Bonzai is at his comedic best. My favorite part is where Lithgow hooks up his tongue to the electricity.

I had a dream once that John Lithgow kidnapped me, and Buckaroo Bonzai had to come and rescue me. I was scared of John Lithgow after that.

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:01 AM
The Princess Bride

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Ladyhawke

maestrowork
01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
I hardly think the Princess Bride is "cult." It's a classic.

Now, Planet 9 from Outer Space...

maestrowork
01-26-2006, 03:03 AM
Dark Crystal...

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:04 AM
I hardly think the Princess Bride is "cult." It's a classic.

Now, Planet 9 from Outer Space...

Cult classic?
I think it became more popular after it was out for a while. I know I didn't see it in the theater when it came out (but saw it years later at a midnight showing).

Great movie either way.

Shwebb
01-26-2006, 03:05 AM
Oh, "Plan 9" is soooo wonderfully bad.

I believe that the guy Woods got to replace Lugosi with was either his wife's chiropractor or his wife's dentist.

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:06 AM
Would you consider Pulp Fiction a cult, cult classic, classic, or cra* movie?

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:08 AM
Where do a lot of 'those' types of movie fall? From Dusk til Dawn, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (1/2), Desperado (all versions), etc....

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 03:25 AM
Willow

Ragnarok
01-26-2006, 03:29 AM
Faster Pussycat.

Quotes :

"Women! They let 'em vote, smoke, and drive. Even put 'em in pants. And what happens? A Democrat for president!"

"You girls a bunch of nudists or are you just short of clothes?"

"Looks to me like you've got two of everything and some left over."

"We got two more cars, eightball! Don't make a career out of it!"

"I don't try anything. I just do it. I don't beat clocks, just people. Wanna try me?"

Celia Cyanide
01-26-2006, 05:08 AM
Where do a lot of 'those' types of movie fall? From Dusk til Dawn, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (1/2), Desperado (all versions), etc....

El Mariachi is definately a cult flick. I think that bigger budget stuff by Tarrantino and Rodriguez is cult, even though it's also mainstream. I'd even consider A Clockwork Orange to be a cult flick, even though it's also one of the American Film Institute's 100 Greatest Films.

I can't believe I didn't mention Russ Meyer! Faster Pussycat, for damn sure, not to mention Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls. Also, Dario Argento's Deep Red, and Suspiria.

robeiae
01-26-2006, 06:47 AM
El Mariachi is definately a cult flick.
Cool. An argument over what constitutes a "cult movie."

To me, cult movies are ones that were generally panned by critics and did poorly at the box office when they came out and would have disappeared forever except that there were a few people who thought the films were wonderful for various reasons (also most are made with severe budget constraints). El Mariachi was heavily touted as a great indy film when it was released. I saw it at a film festival. Not a cult flick.

Cult flicks:
Plan 9 from Outer Space
ReAnimator
Repo Man
Highlander (well, it used to be--but it has undergone a re-evaluation, so maybe not anymore)
All the flicks on the poll, I think

Not cult flicks:
Ed Wood
Bill and Ted flicks
The Princess Bride
Willow

Just my opinion, though.

Cabinscribe
01-26-2006, 07:08 AM
Eraserhead.

maestrowork
01-26-2006, 07:20 AM
I love Highlander. I was so impressed I took my mom to see it, then I was embarrassed when the love scene came on... (I was very young)

Celia Cyanide
01-26-2006, 07:22 AM
I own Videohound's Complete Guide to Cult Pics and Trash Flicks, and Ed Wood, El Mariachi, and Pulp Fiction are all in there. I think everyone probably has their own definition of cult, but I think it also refers to the dedicated following enjoyed by these films.

El Mariachi was heavily touted as a great indy film when it was released. I saw it at a film festival. Not a cult flick.

Cult flicks can play at film festivals, depending on the festival, of course. Aswang was at Sundance. I don't think cult films would usually be studied in universities, or screened at Cannes, but they don't have to be completely underrated.

Highlander (well, it used to be--but it has undergone a re-evaluation, so maybe not anymore)
All the flicks on the poll, I think

Well, Night of the Living Dead has also been reevaluated. Roger Ebert took back his review condemning it.

Sage
01-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Serenity (for one w/ it's own "cult").

Um, but unbiased by television show beforehand, I'd probably have to go with The Fifth Element

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 07:47 AM
I love Highlander. I was so impressed I took my mom to see it, then I was embarrassed when the love scene came on... (I was very young)
"There can be only one." Lordy, just watched this again the other day. I used to like it better than I do now. But still fun. We were remarking on how awful the lead actress' clothes and hair were [1986]. Just atrocious.

There are a number of things that can earn a film the "cult" label. "Small but rabid following" is one. Movies that people see dozens and dozens of times, espepcially at midnight showings. Movies that inspire irrational imitation. Something like Rocky Horror fits the latter two, but obviously it has a huge following. Its fanbase is enormous, but clearly it's a cult film, probably the second largest cult film ever. To completely dash the normal definitions, I'd say that the "biggest" [e.g. most successful] cult film ever is The Wizard of Oz. Huge cult there, people dressing in costumes holding annual parades. Possibly seen by more people than any other film in the world [at least according to the DVD, lol]. WoZ is a mainstream as it gets, yet, it's got a following that's completely bonkers and obsessed. To further dash the standard definitions, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings obviously have cult followings.

But for the purpose of the OP's question, anything that made a bajillion dollars when first released doesn't count.

But I digress. I'd pick:
Naked Lunch
BladeRunner
Brazil

And Naked Lunch probably isn't really a cult film, per se, but Cronenberg has a cult, so I think it counts.

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 07:52 AM
It still counts, even with the TV series spinoff. That just played to the cult.

Princess Bride doesn't seem to fit the bill, but there is a group of avid fans for it. It's quite peculiar in that way.

robeiae
01-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Then why are you smiling?

Because I am not left-handed!

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Then why are you smiling?

Because I am not left-handed!
You're one of them aren't you?

robeiae
01-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Inhale this, but do not touch...What you do not smell is Iocane Powder. It is odorless, tasteless, colorless, and one of the more deadly poisons known to man.

maestrowork
01-26-2006, 08:15 AM
Inconceivable.

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Inhale this, but do not touch...What you do not smell is Iocane Powder. It is odorless, tasteless, colorless, and one of the more deadly poisons known to man.
You are ... one of them.
ETA: And you, too, Ray.

And yes, Blade Runner counts. But I'll withdraw it and leave the other two if it's gonna make you all nervous.

"I don't know why he saved my life ..."
or, in the Director's Cut: [ ... ]

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 08:18 AM
If I said Beyond the Valley of the Dolls would that make you happier? That statement wouldn't be true, but it's a pretty funny flick.

Or maybe I could let my husband answer. He would say Repo Man no contest. That would make you happy, wouldn't it?

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Inconceivable.
I believe you mean "incontheevable."

robeiae
01-26-2006, 08:30 AM
And yes, Blade Runner counts. But I'll withdraw it and leave the other two if it's gonna make you all nervous.
I like your definition/analysis...it's just a little different than mine, is all. So don't go changing, to try and please me...

mkcbunny
01-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I like your definition/analysis...it's just a little different than mine, is all. So don't go changing, to try and please me...

It was a rhetorical offer.

I have two problems. The first is that I am old enough to remember having to go see Blade Runner at midnight showings because [gasp] video hadn't been invented yet. OK, it was in the process of coming out. But we're talking Betamax, and video rental was not yet what it was to become. Liquid Sky, Blade Runner, Repo Man ... they were all making the midnight circuit at about the same time. So that's hard to forget. The reason many movies have gained an increased profile is because of video and DVD. If we didn't have that, you'd be paying good money to see Blade Runner at some second-run theater's midnight screening once a year. Anyway, my point there is that certain attributes that used to define a "cult" film are in some ways being obliterated by the home-rental market.

My second problem is that I worked in the video industry, both brick-and-mortar and online retail/content, for [another, much bigger gasp] nineteen years. [Jesus, where did my life go? ] Hence knowing about the weird Princess Bride cult that you are trying not claiming membership in. If I had to put Blade Runner in a category at the video store, it'd go in Sci-Fi, not Cult. However, along with the Internet came cross-categorizing, such that a movie can be listed as both Sci-Fi AND Cult. Or Horror and Cult [lots, and lots, and lots of those]. Or Comedy and Cult. Within any genre there's a subgenre of Cult flicks. Cult Comedy? This Is Spinal Tap or anything by John Waters. Cult Animation? Akira. Cult Horror, take your pick from Celia's list. I'd probably have said Re-Animator or Basket Case if asked to name one from scratch. So now I always think in terms of cross-genres.

If I were to go based on the "What shelf does it live on?" test, using only films whose primary category is actually Cult, then Blade Runner wouldn't make it. And Naked Lunch would probably have to live in Drama. Brazil might make it. But something like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, as cultish as it is, would have to go into Comedy. Spinal Tap, on the other hand, would probably go in Cult. Rocky Horror, in Cult ... because, really, where else would one look for it????

So I guess I'm down to Brazil. Maybe City of Lost Children or Delicatessen.

My-Immortal
01-28-2006, 08:42 AM
The Crow

My-Immortal
01-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Inconceivable.

Stop now, I mean it.

Does anyone want a peanut?

:)

My-Immortal
01-28-2006, 09:41 AM
Groundhog Day

mkcbunny
02-09-2006, 08:15 AM
In today's art rag, I noticed that Highlander is playing midnight shows Friday and Saturday at one of the local art houses. Guess that answers that question. It's being pitched to the young folk: "If you've never seen it in the theater ..." which they haven't because they were in diapers when it was released. Some of 'em weren't even born. Har, har, cough, cough, please pass the geritol.