PDA

View Full Version : Magnum

maestrowork
01-24-2006, 07:08 PM
(I'm not talking about the condoms in my drawer)

Who will get to play Magnum?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/24/film.magnum.reut/index.html

Perks
01-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Why are they doing this? It hurts.

I loved Magnum, PI and then I grew up. I love my memory of it and now they're going to screw it up. Well, no they won't. Not for me. I won't watch it.

Seems to me I've noticed around here there are a few people out there writing new material. What a concept. A plague on the remakes.

StoryG27
01-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Is it Raymond Wong, the Fresh Fireman of Recruitment?

rtilryarms
01-24-2006, 10:29 PM
(I'm not talking about the condoms in my drawer)

The one's that have been there like, forever, next to the teeny ones which are constantly being restocked?

clintl
01-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Remember when hit movies would spawn new TV shows, instead of the movie industry looking to 20-30 year old TV shows for ideas?

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Things like this make me sad. Are there no new ideas out there that we have to rehash old shows as movies?

Starsky and Hutch
Dukes of Hazard
Lost in Space
Adams Family
The Flintstones
Maverick

(although I will admit Adams Family was pretty good and won't admit that I actually liked "Lost in Space.")

Anyway, I was never much a fan of Magnum, P.I. I'd like to see a Rat Patrol movie!

three seven
01-25-2006, 12:38 AM
It's funny, cos despite my innate distaste for all these remakes of my favourite tv shows, I'm actually somewhat aroused by the prospect of the (will-they-won't-they) Knight Rider movie.

Bring on the Hoff. Oh yes.

rhymegirl
01-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Finish your novel Three and then they'll make it into a movie and we can go watch that.

robeiae
01-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Remember when hit movies would spawn new TV shows, instead of the movie industry looking to 20-30 year old TV shows for ideas?
They only do it because the general public is willing to fork out $8-$12 dollars a head for the dreck.

Rob :)

three seven
01-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Thomas Magnum isn't in my novel. What are you talking about?

rhymegirl
01-25-2006, 12:50 AM
I'm not talking about Magnum at all. I'm talking about your serial killer novel that we want to read and then watch as a movie.

three seven
01-25-2006, 12:56 AM
I thought you didn't want to read it. And not having read it, how do you know you want to watch it as a movie?

silentpoet
01-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Maybe they will cast Harrison Ford:D

three seven
01-25-2006, 01:02 AM
Incidentally, if they insist on doing this, I don't see any reason why Selleck shouldn't do it. Assuming, of course, he doesn't agree with us that it's a really, really bad idea.

rhymegirl
01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
I thought you didn't want to read it. And not having read it, how do you know you want to watch it as a movie?

Of course I want to read it!

I'm psychic; that's how I know it will make a good movie.

three seven
01-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Oh. So, just remind me what happened when I gave in to your repeated demands and offered to let you read it?

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Incidentally, if they insist on doing this, I don't see any reason why Selleck shouldn't do it. Assuming, of course, he doesn't agree with us that it's a really, really bad idea.

Maybe
1) They want someone who can act,
B) They don't want it to be Geriatric Magnum P.I.

;)

three seven
01-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Maybe
1) They want someone who can act,;)But it's a remake.

September skies
01-25-2006, 01:27 AM
Maybe they will cast Harrison Ford:D
I'll go watch it if it's Harrison Ford! I'm so in love with him.

My-Immortal
01-25-2006, 03:14 AM
I had heard a while back that George Clooney's name was mentioned as possibly playing the part.

If they are going to bring the story forward in time (Magnum was a Vietnam Vet) they'll have to alter some of his backstory....perhaps making him a Gulf War vet instead?

Michael Caine as Higgins? (I pretty much like Michael Caine in anything, though he's already playing Batman's butler Alfred).

Take care all -

My-Immortal
01-25-2006, 03:15 AM
I'll go watch it if it's Harrison Ford! I'm so in love with him.

I've heard that Harrison Ford has stated he'll only do another Indy Jones movie if they do it in the next two years....part of me would like to see another one....but part of me cringes at the thought of an 'old' Indy. (kinda like watching the 'old' Connery or Moore Bond movies)....

silentpoet
01-25-2006, 03:31 AM
I've heard that Harrison Ford has stated he'll only do another Indy Jones movie if they do it in the next two years....part of me would like to see another one....but part of me cringes at the thought of an 'old' Indy. (kinda like watching the 'old' Connery or Moore Bond movies)....

It was a joke based on the fact that Selleck was originally up for the Indy role.

I would not even go into the theater if Clooney was in it. I still am upset for what he said unapologetically about Heston. I hope he gets real early onset Alzheimer's disease. Clooney is on my list of actors I will refuse to watch.

My-Immortal
01-25-2006, 03:38 AM
It was a joke based on the fact that Selleck was originally up for the Indy role.

I know Seleck was originally thought of to play Indiana Jones....but I've heard that Harrison Ford has wanted to do another Indiana Jones movie, and will consider doing it if it does get done in the next two years.

maestrowork
01-25-2006, 03:42 AM
I believe Indie 4 is in pre-production right now (Lucas to produce; Spielberg to direct -- like good old times). The scary thing is, Ford is too old but Sean Connery is still alive! What a team. It would be interesting to see what might transpire...

three seven
01-25-2006, 11:12 PM
I would not even go into the theater if Clooney was in it. I still am upset for what he said unapologetically about Heston.What did Clooney say about Heston?

silentpoet
01-26-2006, 12:12 AM
What did Clooney say about Heston?
He made a joke about Heston's Alzheimer's disease. And when reporters talked to him suggesting it was in bad taste, well Clooney showed no signs of remorse.
So I show no signs of interest in ever watching anything involving him again. If I had not already purchased the South Park Movie where he only has a bit role, I would not have because of it and I am a big south park fan.

My-Immortal
01-26-2006, 02:41 AM
To get back to the thread....

Who would you want to see as Magnum? T.C.? Rick? Higgins?

Do you think they'd reveal if Higgins was really Robin Masters?

Do you think it is possible to make it a good movie?

silentpoet
01-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Do you think it is possible to make it a good movie?

Possible and probable are two different words.

If you go with recasting:

M. Clark Duncan as TC.

How about Sir Anthony Hopkins, either as Higgins and/or Robin Masters? Depending on which way they go.

Rick, I don't know.

Magnum, hard to picture anybody but Tom Selleck. Can't think of anybody right now.

ChunkyC
01-27-2006, 02:41 AM
How about Sir Anthony Hopkins, either as Higgins
I was thinking the same thing. He'd be brilliant. As great and actor as Michael Caine is, he just doesn't have a crusty enough countenance.

Actually, I think Selleck is contracted for the Jesse Stone TV movies he's currently doing, so he might not be able to play Magnum in a movie anyway.

Just watch Hollywood turn it into a complete farce (like having the writer responsible for DODGEBALL penning the script and directing isn't bad enough already) by casting someone like Freddie Prinze Jr. as Magnum.

maestrowork
01-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Freddie? No-oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

How about Ben Stiller with a mustache. <G> :D

mkcbunny
01-27-2006, 03:40 AM
There's no reason [apart from Selleck's commitments and age bias] that they couldn't make a movie with him as Magnum. TV characters can age, too. It's not like he's in adult diapers.

maestrowork
01-27-2006, 03:44 AM
1. Selleck is no longer a big star
2. Movies usually recast using today's hot stars (Duke of Hazzard, Brady Bunch, Starsky & Hutch, etc.)
3. Selleck is too old to play Magnum

three seven
01-27-2006, 12:58 PM
2. Movies usually recast using today's hot stars (Duke of Hazzard, Brady Bunch, Starsky & Hutch, etc.)

1. There's no reason why he couldn't be, and his name above the title of a Magnum movie would ensure it.

2. Those films were all shi!t.

3. Says who? You? How old is Magnum anyway? If Stallone can still get in the ring as Rocky, Selleck can still drive a Ferrari. It's not like he ever did anything energetic - In fact I challenge you to show me evidence of Magnum running.

ChunkyC
01-27-2006, 08:24 PM
It's not like he ever did anything energetic - In fact I challenge you to show me evidence of Magnum running.
*Magnum fan alert* I agree with your overall contention that Selleck could play an older Magnum if they wanted to write it that way, but not because he wasn't energetic. On the TV show the character sure did do energetic things. For example, they often showed him jogging along the beach. Then there's the episode where he was out swimming and got carried away from shore and ended up staying afloat for over 24 hours. And the annual surf-ski race he always entered which entailed paddling a kayak-type boat as fast as possible for hours. Another where he got roped into going undercover as a hopefull trying out for an NFL football team.... it goes on and on.

Not that a Magnum of today would still be capable of those kinds of stunts, but I think the storyline of the series certainly would lend itself to an older Magnum being very fit.

silentpoet
01-27-2006, 08:32 PM
*Magnum fan alert* I agree with your overall contention that Selleck could play an older Magnum if they wanted to write it that way, but not because he wasn't energetic. On the TV show the character sure did do energetic things. For example, they often showed him jogging along the beach. Then there's the episode where he was out swimming and got carried away from shore and ended up staying afloat for over 24 hours. And the annual surf-ski race he always entered which entailed paddling a kayak-type boat as fast as possible for hours. Another where he got roped into going undercover as a hopefull trying out for an NFL football team.... it goes on and on.

Not that a Magnum of today would still be capable of those kinds of stunts, but I think the storyline of the series certainly would lend itself to an older Magnum being very fit.

You forgot the triatholon where slept for like 24 hours afterwards. :)

He did almost the whole event and then rushed off to find the last clue in the mystery.

three seven
01-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Sorry, I forgot to sound the *Sarcasm Alert*. ;)

Seriously though, who's to say Selleck isn't fit enough? Burt Reynolds can still run with a ball (sort of) and he's got ten years on Tom!

ChunkyC
01-27-2006, 10:32 PM
You forgot the triatholon where slept for like 24 hours afterwards.
That's one of the things that made the series so much fun. As outlandish as the scenarios got at times, what with it being a TV show and all, they put in these sorts of realistic bits. He didn't just come in with nary a bead of sweat on his forehead, the guy was hurtin' when he got through with these escapades. In that football episode I referred to, he got his a** kicked by the younger players.

The real shame will be if they lose sight of this kind of thing in the movie. How Thomas could be goofy around his buds, but when the chips were down, he'd call on his inner strength. They all would. The characters and their relationships made that show, and if they don't capture that in the movie, it'll be dead on arrival.

mkcbunny
01-28-2006, 12:40 AM
If people can accept him boinking Courtney Cox on Friends, then he's still marketable. Sure, you could do a crappy recast flick, but you could just as easily give him a hot young nephew played by someone guaranteed to pull in the young people. Or maybe a cocky protege. Orlando Bloom, even. LOL. OK, maybe not him. Maybe Higgins could have a cocky young nephew, too, and Orlando Bloom could play that guy. And then the cocky young nephews could have the action plot.

Jcomp
01-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Thing is, movies like this aren't made for the original fanbase, but to attract an entirely new fanbase and are often "remakes" in name only, with superficial similarities. I don't know anyone who actually saw the original Starsky and Hutch series, for instance, and I'm too young to remember much about the Dukes of Hazard other than thinking it was weird that the car doors didn't open and knowing that I'd rather be watching cartoons. This movie's going to exist in what will essentially be the "Bizarro Magnum" universe.

Ragnarok
01-28-2006, 02:00 AM
the CHIPS movie.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/604/604590p1.html

Perks
01-28-2006, 02:09 AM
CHiPs is juicier than Magnum? Cheesier, I'll buy, but Erik Estrada and all four hundred twenty seven of his teeth didn't hold a candle to Tom Selleck. Plus Magnum had better sidekicks.

Ragnarok
01-28-2006, 02:22 AM
Gee, we're being serious, aren't we?

Perks
01-28-2006, 02:54 AM
If there is anything on this thread that even smells serious, then there is a beating in the offing.

three seven
01-28-2006, 03:09 AM
Thing is, movies like this aren't made for the original fanbase, but to attract an entirely new fanbaseTo what? The point of TV-based feature films has historically been to attract audiences to the tv show, but that's clearly not the case with any of these big Hollywood fuc- erm, remakes.

ChunkyC
01-28-2006, 04:58 AM
I went to see the Starsky & Hutch movie because I used to watch the TV show. I thought it was okay, but Wilson was mediocre as Hutch. The high point for me was how Ben Stiller virtually channeled Starsky from the series.

I went to see the Charlie's Angels movie because, yes, I used to watch the TV show. It sucked because it was nothing like the show. The second one sucked even more because it was even less like the show. The TV series was stupid, but CA2 made it look like PBS.

I believe remakes of TV series draw at least half their audience from people who used to watch the TV show. They account for most of the first weekend's box office receipts. Since 99% of these things bite the big one, any money they make from week two on has to be from people who never heard of the TV show.

Just my random Friday night ramblings....

mkcbunny
01-28-2006, 05:56 AM
Thing is, movies like this aren't made for the original fanbase, but to attract an entirely new fanbase and are often "remakes" in name only, with superficial similarities.
This is why they usually suck.

And this is what Orlando Bloom is for: youth appeal.

Selleck is ther for the die-hard fans, and for the flashback factor. You can have it both ways.

blisswriter
01-28-2006, 09:02 AM

Ray, you're scaring me! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticoncry.gifHow can you say Selleck is no longer a big star? My 8 year old daughter is now a loyal Magnum fan and she thinks he's a cutie.http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteLilLove.gif

(But I know he's not as handsome as he used to be. I don't care what Hollywood believes, all men do not age well. I Tom Selleck used to be ruggedly handsome. Now I think he just looks... rugged. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSoapbox.gif Still, I think he could pull off the movie role. Either way I wouldn't pay to see it. We get him every night for free and I prefer the younger Selleck.)

My-Immortal
01-28-2006, 09:13 AM

I just recently watched the remake movie Dukes of Hazzard and it was okay....I got it as a cheap movie rental so I didn't feel too badly about spending the time watching it. I've only seen a handful of the TV episodes, but all of the movie characters seemed to have a much harder edge to them. They really didn't seem like 'good ole boys' - and the Willie Nelson's 'Uncle Jesse' was nothing like the old TV Uncle Jesse....

I know times have changed, but the remake really didn't seem very similar to the original TV series at all...

By the way, has anyone seem the movie trailer for Miami Vice with Collin Ferrell (spelling?) and Jamie Foxx? I didn't even 'look' like Miami Vice....

As for the thread - I like Selleck...and he 'could' probably pull off playing an older Magnum, but I'm fairly certain they'll recast the entire movie....throw in a couple young male stud actors and write it however they want. It better take place in Hawaii though.... :)

Take care all -

silentpoet
01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
throw in a couple young male stud actors and write it however they want. It better take place in Hawaii though.... :)

Howabout "Brokeback Volcano"? Dear God Hollywood would probably do it.

All this talk of remakes has me really nervous about the Transformers movie coming out in a year or so. But at least that has Spielberg behind it.

ChunkyC
01-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Well folks, the end of civilization (http://www.gilligansisle.com/movie.html) as we know it might well be nigh....

Okay, so the page is a little out of date since one of the proposed actors (John Candy) has been dead for many years, but the possibility of such a film is mind-numbing to contemplate.

poetinahat
01-31-2006, 04:33 AM
Go and rent "The Harlem Globetrotters Visit Gilligan's Island". Nothing else need be done on this front.

And there is *no one* on that list who can hold a candle to the original Mary Anne. She was finer than all the Catwomen and Bond Girls put together.

Hmmm... all put together... THERE, my friends, is your film idea.