Any Carpenters About?

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I hope this is the right place to post this...

One of my characters is a carpenter. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject. However, I can't seem to find a clear answer to a somewhat basic question: why is it important (if it even is important) to finish natural wood?

Any direction is most appreciated!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not a carpenter, but I've had some experience. Depends on the wood type. Some woods like cypress and teak can safely weather without finishing, while others begin to decay without protection. Having even just an oil finish sets up a barrier between the wood pores and the outside air, water, bug, fungal, and bacterial incursions. Makes the wood object last longer, especially if it is exposed to outside weather conditions.

Even indoor pieces benefit from proper treatment, especially if they are moved from a high-humidity area to a low-humidity area - when the wood dries out too much, it can crack.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Like Filigree, I'm not a carpenter. But my father was. Aside from weathering and preservation, finishing a wood surface protects whatever you put on the surface after the stuff is spilled: the nice dry paper you put on a damp table will get damp from contact (and wood holds water so very well), the sewing you put on the table after dinner will pick up traces of grease or other food that remains in the grain of the wood.
And, finishing (planing, and sanding, as well as oiling or waxing) makes the wood less likely to splinter or snag a passerby.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Also not a carpenter, though I did apprentice as a carpenter for a summer, and my father is an avid amateur carpenter and I dabble myself.

One other thing about finishing wood is that it makes it more beautiful. You can alter the colour to suit your designs and it brings out the grain in the wood if you're using a stain, oil or wax (if you're painting, obviously it doesn't bring out the grain).

Finish is incredibly important, choosing the right one and applying it correctly if your carpenter does really custom hand-made work. It's the final touch, when the wood comes alive.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, for most customers the finish is the first thing they judge a piece by, for all the time and care the carpenter spends on the design and joinery.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I have been a carpenter, and I mostly agree with what has been written above. It mostly depends on the wood and where it is, but finishes do protect the wood up to a point. Sometimes it is better to leave wood unfinished, but that's not the common practice.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
I have been a carpenter, and I mostly agree with what has been written above. It mostly depends on the wood and where it is, but finishes do protect the wood up to a point. Sometimes it is better to leave wood unfinished, but that's not the common practice.

Thank you, King! Based on all of your comments I'm going to make sure the MC finishes his woodwork :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
90% of finishing is just for appearance. There are certain situations where the finish is important for other reasons. Soft woods, such as pine, can benefit from hard finishes, such as shellac or wax, in limiting wear damage. Other woods can benefit from water resistance provided by finishing. Finishes can also prevent the wood from absorbing liquids and odors. Kitchen surfaces in particular need to be finished, if even just a linseed oil rubbed in.

Finishing is most often done to bring out the beauty of the wood, or to change the color or tone of the wood. Rarely would a woodworker (not a carpenter, true woodworkers would be upset...) leave a piece unfinished. Pride dictates that much.

Jeff