How to Handle Alternative History

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking of the problems I've had with some of my attempts at what I call the Jackson Roberts Trilogy. The problem has been the inclusion of 'psionics' and other elements, but I've found that trying to mix these elements into our world, with the constant battling between religion and science, has been next-to-impossible.

I came up with the idea of creating an alternate Earth, called Meridian, but I'm not sure how to handle the history of it. Should I just weave the history into the story as well as have it mentioned on the summary, or should I have a 'Required Knowledge' segment at the beginning of the book? A major aspect is that religion is not a major player in Meridian, so I'm not sure if that would be mentioned in a book's summary or not.

Also, out of curiosity, is alternate history considered a niche market, or does it have a consistent fanbase? Just wondering, though I'll write this regardless. Thanks in advance for your comments...

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Starting from your last question. Alternate History has a very strong fan base. Some writers, like Harry Turtledove have made a great success writing for that fan base.

For your larger question, history in AH is like science in hard SF, you interweave it throughout the story. A Required knowledge prologue is a bad idea as it will turn off a lot of readers.

Your statement about lack of religion being a major aspect is a little confusing. Do you mean that religion is irrelevant in the world or that the cultures are anti-religious.

If religion is irrelevant just write the book and the characters as they are. There's no need to discuss its absence especially.

If on the other hand there is a strong anti-religious cultural element you can bring this up with how religious people or concepts are treated.

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
Starting from your last question. Alternate History has a very strong fan base. Some writers, like Harry Turtledove have made a great success writing for that fan base.

For your larger question, history in AH is like science in hard SF, you interweave it throughout the story. A Required knowledge prologue is a bad idea as it will turn off a lot of readers.

Your statement about lack of religion being a major aspect is a little confusing. Do you mean that religion is irrelevant in the world or that the cultures are anti-religious.

If religion is irrelevant just write the book and the characters as they are. There's no need to discuss its absence especially.

If on the other hand there is a strong anti-religious cultural element you can bring this up with how religious people or concepts are treated.

Okay, thanks. I figured it was something like this, but I had to be sure. As for the religious aspect: it depends on the character as well as the area. For example, Italy (which plays a large role in the final book) is extremely anti-religion (so the opposite of what it is now), America is moderately religious but not as much fanaticism as we see (this is my own perspective here), and places like Britain and other European countries are much like they are in our own world: there are religions, but they don't dominate the culture and are more background noise (I understand some countries are completely atheistic).

I'll be posting the first chapter, which begins to set up the plot of the first book, in the SYW section later on, so I can see if I need to work on some things.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Okay, thanks. I figured it was something like this, but I had to be sure. As for the religious aspect: it depends on the character as well as the area. For example, Italy (which plays a large role in the final book) is extremely anti-religion (so the opposite of what it is now), America is moderately religious but not as much fanaticism as we see (this is my own perspective here), and places like Britain and other European countries are much like they are in our own world: there are religions, but they don't dominate the culture and are more background noise (I understand some countries are completely atheistic).

I'll be posting the first chapter, which begins to set up the plot of the first book, in the SYW section later on, so I can see if I need to work on some things.

As regards the emphasis or deemphasis of religion you might need to put in a brief mention of some relevant historical change that brought this about or if it doesn't matter in the book don't worry about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in SYW.

Jonathan.Bentz

Registered
Reaction score
As regards the emphasis or deemphasis of religion you might need to put in a brief mention of some relevant historical change that brought this about or if it doesn't matter in the book don't worry about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in SYW.

I put it up, though I had a hell of a time figuring out how to configure it right. Finally just used the Quote tags; I tried all the other ones with no luck whatsoever.... anyways, its up if you want to go see it.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Another successful current alternate history author is Eric Flint. Religion plays a large role in his major series, the books beginning with 1632. He also weaves the important factors into the narrative, thus avoiding the 'big block o' text' descriptions, and avoiding boring potential readers into reading something else.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to look here for examples of how others have done it.

For instance, Randall Garrett wrote the "Lord Darcy" series about an alternate history in which, thanks to psionics-based "magic," the Angevin Empire of Henry II never fell.

Status
Not open for further replies.