PDA

View Full Version : Free prequels to my book - which service to use?

TheaBlowsKisses
11-17-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm planning on writing three short (maybe 5K words each) prequels to my latest book and releasing them for free. (I want to write the stories, and I also want to experiment and see how effective they'd be in generating interest for the actual book.) I know I could just put them up on my blog, but I was thinking of bundling them together with some sort of cover and distributing the collection (still for free).

Problem is, I know nothing about self-publishing. I've been researching Smashwords vs. CreateSpace, and I haven't been able to come to a good decision. I like that CreateSpace distributes to different places, but ideally, I would like the collection to be on Amazon as well to link to my other books. I've been trying to figure out if I can do both, but the google results I've come up with haven't seemed that clear. One article I read indicates that I can use Smashwords to distribute to Amazon for a cut of royalties (which, as this would be for free, wouldn't be an issue, right?). I'm also not sure if trying to use both would create a conflict when trying to get an ISBN number.

(Do I need an ISBN number/should I get one for this little project? ACK. I told you I was clueless. There's a reason this isn't my day job.)

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sarahdalton
11-18-2012, 12:07 AM
Are you wanting to release it on ebook only? CreateSpace is the print on demand service for paperbacks so I think you mean Amazon KDP which is the epublishing part of Amazon.

Do you want to make it free permanently? If so you could put it on both, and if you get it formatted well enough to make it into Smaswords premium catalogue then they can distribute to Barnes and noble, apple, Sony, kobo et al.

I can see that working out well for you if you advertise your books in the free stories. Maybe pop in the first chapter of the next book right at the end.

The only reason for using just one distribution channel is if you want to run a promotion where the ebook is free for a short period of time. If so you would have to enrol in the KDP select programme. This is for 90 days and your ebook would be available exclusively on amazon during this time.

Hope this helps. There are lots of other members with loads of experience who can help as well.