Status
Not open for further replies.

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
I'm looking for a professional editor to work with for my series of Science Fiction short stories. If all goes well, I'll proceed with my novel as well. Any recommendations?

Thx.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Might I suggest posting to Share Your Work and letting the AW professionals have at your stories at no cost to you. I realize you may have already done so, but those are my thoughts.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Debbie, the SYW isn't a free editing service.

Tim, you can hire an editor, and it's expensive. Or you can just edit yourself, as much as possible, and it's free and it teaches you a lot. I do hope you find an good editor.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Tigerlilly79

Maybe I should see someone . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I use Debra Doyle and am very impressed. She's definitely worth the money. I highly recommend that someone else look at your work other than yourself. They will find things that you won't see yourself no matter how many times you go over it.

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
I use Debra Doyle and am very impressed. She's definitely worth the money. I highly recommend that someone else look at your work other than yourself. They will find things that you won't see yourself no matter how many times you go over it.

Thanks for the recommendation. How do I get in touch with her?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. How do I get in touch with her?
Scroll up. The link is in my post naming her.

Maryn, helpful sort

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
If you're looking for a proofreader or copyeditor, hiring one isn't a bad idea.
If you're looking for someone to help you improve your work, you're much better off finding a good writing class or writers group.

Ms_Sassypants

Cadence of Her Last Breath
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! Thanks for the link. I am sold!

I will consider her service in the very near future... (if I have change after all that Christmas shopping..)

What a beacon of hope! Thanks for this thread!

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
If you're looking for someone to help you improve your work, you're much better off finding a good writing class or writers group.

I only partly agree. A writer's group is a great starting point, but once you've got the basics down you may need more help. The feedback I got from agents was wildly different from the feedback I got from other writers. Writers tried to help me patch holes and rough spots while agents listed what they saw as major issues and weren't afraid to tell me to rewrite heavily. I would assume than an editor would have the same kind of ruthless eye as those agents for what needs fixing and why.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I only partly agree. A writer's group is a great starting point, but once you've got the basics down you may need more help. The feedback I got from agents was wildly different from the feedback I got from other writers. Writers tried to help me patch holes and rough spots while agents listed what they saw as major issues and weren't afraid to tell me to rewrite heavily. I would assume than an editor would have the same kind of ruthless eye as those agents for what needs fixing and why.

Well, I did say "a good writers group." A good writers group will be as ruthless as necessary; a bad agent or editor will tell you their opinion without holding back, but it may be a bad opinion. (Just because they're professionals, doesn't mean they're perfect.)

I've been on both sides of this issue, as a writer and a story analyst (the movie equivalent of an editor). So I've taken classes, been a member of writers groups, and dealt with agents and editors.

The pros of using an editor: A one on one relationship. No waiting. Someone with cred.

The cons: You have no idea how good a particular person truly is. You have to pay to find out, and even if you like their advice, there's no guarantee you'll be published. Considering editorial rates, that's a process that becomes very expensive, very quickly.

Granted, you have to exercise good judgment in finding the right writers group (a bad one is useless) and in taking the feedback you receive from the group. But the same would be true of an editor - and you're not paying the group.

Finally, committing to a group helps to ground you in the fact that writing is a long-term commitment of time and energy. A marathon, not a sprint (or a lottery).

Timinator

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.timothytrimble.com
Thank you for all the great recommendations. I shot an email over to Dr. Doyle this evening and I hope to start a long and productive relationship. She was also recommended by Steven Gould (Author of Jumper), which solidified it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.