Question about Photos in Proposals

Maladroit

Absolute Almost Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bigblockblog.com
OK, this is going to sound like a question from a real n00bster, but I am being drawn toward this idea with the same amount of gravitational pull that I feel when cruising by a McDonald's -- while hungry and fully-aware that there's a "buy one/get one free sale on Big Macs.
contact_fraud1.jpg

In my proposal Sample Chapter, I really want to include two photos I plan to use in the finished book.
Is it completely unacceptable to include photos/graphics in a proposal?
I was under the impression that this is unprofessional.
If so, then do I make note of the placement of the photo only? Or do I ignore any mention of it?

Here is a sample from my book on online auction fraud and phishing scammers:
The following graphic is a typical message you may find inside a fraudulent eBay auction description block. You will notice the search terms I used in locating these scams in the block below.
scammer01.jpg

Once you have observed several dozen of these bogus listings on eBay or other auction websites they will become instantly recognizable. You can practice finding them by using eBay’s Advanced Search option.
In the search text box, type the words, “my address was spammed” or “email me directly.” Other text searches that will produce scam listings are, “won’t be able to respond” and “email storage limit”.
Again, using the email address is the scammer’s first attempt to pull you off eBay and into his web of deceptive emails and fraud shipping or escrow websites.

Is it a bad idea to use graphics or photos in the proposal?
:Shrug:

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
My personal opinion is that I wouldn't. I think it would be better to state something like, "My intention is to include graphics and photographs in the body of the book or in a center photo section, showing examples that relate to the text."

The publisher will be the one to decide whether to include the photos/graphics. They may decide not to. They should be told that there ARE some that you believe adds to the text. If they want to see the photos, they'll ask when they request a partial/full. :)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's fine to use an example like the one above to support your proposal. I wouldn't use more than that, but this gives an acquiring editor a taste of what you're talking about. You certainly aren't going to be rejected simply because you've included a photo.