The key to turning 30 (or any age) without pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
When you hit 27 or 28, start "rounding off." Exaggerate. Tell people you're 30 while you still have the secret inner comfort of "but I'm not really." By the time you actually turn 30, you'll have been telling people you were 30 for so long, it won't even be traumatic anymore.

It worked for me, apparently. Today feels just like any other day.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. When I was 25 I started telling people 30. When I was 29 I started 35 (See I NEVER had to turn 30) People ( except my single friends who didn't want guys they were dating to think they were old so the fiction of me being old enough to babay sit them came to play) kept telling me how young I looked and kept guessing my age at below what it really was.

At 38, I became 45. But that Had to stop. I mean when I'm 50 I don't want to tell someone I'm 60 then have them go "oh , yeah, well you look good."

So now I am officially 18 years older than my oldest child.... forever.

( what? huh? Oh me....I'm 21)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I always accidentally lie to make myself older. I guess I'm always thinking ahead. When I turned 26, I thought, gee, next year I'll be 27. Now that I'm 27, I think about being 28 and so when people ask...I forget and say I'm 28, even told someone I was almost 30 the other day ('cuz, IMO, it really is true) and he said, "Really? You look 16." I don't think that was a compliment.

So, did you turn 30 today??

If so, HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

If not, please ignore the above.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
LOL - I tell people who ask how old I am that I'm almost 50. (I'm 47) They ALWAYS say NO WAY - and I can proudly say, yea. I love the expression it causes. I was told just last week that I looked 35 by someone (a female, too) and if I'm all dressed up, I think I look about 40 or so.
My voice is very young sounding - or at least I have been told over and over again that my voice is quite pleasant. (Its on six or seven different business phones in town -- and a few commercials)
my kids laughed recently when a Starbucks guy was flirting with me on the intercom -- until we pulled up to the window and he saw me and the look on his face (and coworkers laughing) was actually pretty funny. He couldn't even look me in the eye and a co-worker had to come and finish my transaction. It was hilarious.
I don't mind my age at all - never have. I liked turning 30 and I think I'll enjoy turning 50.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
HAPPY 30TH BIRTHDAY!!!

I haven't reached that point yet, but I don't think it will be such a big deal for me. With my timing, I'll still have to wait another year before I can run for Senate anyway. :)

And my wife is already over 30 and still looks fabulous.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I turned 29 in October and swore it was 30. Finally, my husband reminded me that it was only 29. I think the trauma of 30 was lost on that birthday and I wont mind it so much when it comes around this year.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy birthday!

I still don't get the idea of turning thirty being traumatic, but I don't want to be argumentative.

What I did do was beat people to the punch, by throwing myself a massive party when it happened. At forty, I really didn't care, so I had another party, but had friends around just because I wanted them there.

Of course, if it really is a numbers thing, you can always convert to hexadecimal... which instantly makes you, um, let's see... 1E...

But that way, you're not "30" until you're actually 48!

(crawls back under rock)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Happy 11110th birthday!

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was a young girl, I thought I wanted to be dead at 40. Not because I thought 40 was old in terms of years but I just thought 40 years was long enough to do all the things I'd planned to do.

Well the joke was on me.
tongue.gif
I'll be 39 this year and my to-do list is still growing.

I don't recall being traumatized by any of my birthdays. Like someone else mentioned, I can't always remember my age right off hand. For me, it's just a number used as part of a way to identify me...
EmoteShrug.gif

blisswriter

blissed beyond belief...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! Was this a birthday thread?

Happy Belated Birthday Sirensix!
EmoteHug2.gif

Emotepartyguy.gif
Emotepartyguy.gif
Emotepartyguy.gif
Emotepartyguy.gif
Emotepartyguy.gif
Emotepartyguy.gif
:partyguy:

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Saritams8 said:
I turned 29 in October and swore it was 30. Finally, my husband reminded me that it was only 29. I think the trauma of 30 was lost on that birthday and I wont mind it so much when it comes around this year.

You don't look a day over 21.:D

louisgodwin

Back from the dead
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Thirtieth, sirensix. Just 3 & 1/2 months and I'll be right there with you!

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah... how do you enjoy being 53, Rob? ;)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Most of the time I am mistaken for being younger...BUT..last week one of the "girls" in the office made a remark about what it's like to be "older" and that I was probably about her age and all...(She's in MENOPAUSE!!) I told her I was 37 and her jaw hit the floor and out came a flurry of apologies. I must have been really having a bad day that day for her to think I was more than ten years older than I really am. I wanted to cry.

I forgot to mention that she said this after I told her how old my boys are...maybe I didn't look older...maybe she just assumed it because my oldest son is 18.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Carole said:
I must have been really having a bad day that day for her to think I was more than ten years older than I really am. I wanted to cry.

I forgot to mention that she said this after I told her how old my boys are...maybe I didn't look older...maybe she just assumed it because my oldest son is 18.

Oh, that is a good possibility.

People who meet me and don't know I have kids, usually guess me anywhere between 19 and 22. People who know I have a 9 yr. old and a 7 yr. old, think I must be at least 30. I just shrug because 27 is close enough to 30 that I won't correct them.

Knowing the ages of my two kiddos, makes about a decade of difference in people's assumption of my age.

sirensix

Mediocre Sorceress
Registered
Reaction score
Wow!!! Thanks for all the birthday wishes! Being fairly new here, I thought this thread would just sink into oblivion quietly with no fanfare. I feel all happy and loved now.
:Hug2:

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Belated Happy Birthday.

You can always claim to be 21 and a few months. (Ok, 108 to be precise - but who's counting?)

Lisa Y

Picked last in gym
Registered
Reaction score
When I turned 40, I comforted myself with the following:

I no longer had to worry about turning 40

I wasn't turning 50

It could be worse- if I were a dog, I'd have been turning 280

An entire aisle of beauty products with "line-minimizing" and "age-defying" opened up to me and said "buy me"

Donald Trump would pay big time for me...if I were a bottle of wine (I guess as a woman, I'm about 20 years too old)

I can start participating in beauty contests for those hairless wrinkle dogs and I have a good chance of winning

Sigh...it's not much, but it helped ease the transition...well, that and the case of Absolut

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Belated Happy Birthday, sirensix.

Knowing the ages of my two kiddos, makes about a decade of difference in people's assumption of my age.

Not me. When I tell people I have a twenty-year-old son, I often have to pick a jaw up off the floor. (Theirs!) When I was pregnant with my second child (I was 28) one of my McD's co-workers asked me what high school I went to! I'm forty-five and glad to be here.

But I've stopped counting. When I turned 39 a few years back, my mother sent me a birthday card. In it she had written, "Now you're the same age as I am." :tongue

Status
Not open for further replies.