PDA

View Full Version : WWZ

Zoombie
11-09-2012, 10:04 PM
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2012/11/trailer-world-war-z-starring-brad-pitt-and-a-million-zombies/

WWZ, aka the scariest book ever written (in my opinion), is coming to the big screen and here is the trailer!

So, it looks like they're giving us a singular viewpoint character which does slightly bum me out. I personally loved the multiple viewpoint, realistic interview thing that the book had going on.

But it DOES look like it's keeping the worldwide scale of the outbreak and it also looks like it'll be keeping the scale up for the whole movie...which, I like. Most zombie movies are very small scale and focused on just a small knot of survivors. I am pretty pumped to see an actual WAR against the living dead, with the contingency plans and the desperate organization and so on.

Of course, the zombies are also fast rather than slow...I guess that's okay, I kind of liked how WWZ managed to make the slow zombies really threatening and still realistically made them really dangerous.

Also, as a last note, I love love LOVE that they're keeping the flotilla. That was a fucking awesome bit from the book, where a floating city got established, full of refugee boats, with the runaway Chinese nuclear submarine providing power in exchange for food.

...I should read that book again...

Bloo
11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
I'm curious as to what Max Brooks has to say about this, because to ME it doesn't look anything like WWZ. Brad Pitt doesn't appear to be a soldier or a UN investigator, or well any character from the book. He seems to be a normal guy caught up. the Zombie tidal wave threw me too, didn't care for that.

Then there is fast zombies vs slow...

A lot will depend on how they handle The Battle Of Yonkers though, if they nail that, I'll forgive a lot

Zoombie
11-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I think they're taking the idea of "global war on zombies" and going with it...

Which, to be fair, we've seen exactly zero of on the silver screen.

defcon6000
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Doesn't look anything like the book. : /

But alas, everything has to be an action film these days. Think I'll pass (because I'm not a Pitt fan) and wait to see John Dies at the End.

leahzero
11-09-2012, 11:17 PM
It looks nothing like the novel...which is a huge relief, because I hated the novel. :D

LitReactor had a good essay on it recently. (http://litreactor.com/columns/your-favorite-book-sucks-world-war-z-an-oral-history-of-the-zombie-war)

Unfortunately, this looks like a rather mindless, bland, conspicuously bloodless action movie, starring a miscast Brad Pitt with a terrible haircut. Supposedly the film will release as PG-13, which explains the weirdly sanitized look. Oh well.

I do love that final wall climbing scene, though.

Zoombie
11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Ewwwwwwww...

A PG-13 zombie movie? Might as well make a PG-13 Die Hard movie while you're...

Oh...

Oh yeah...

Jcomp
11-09-2012, 11:57 PM
I didn't think they could effectively make the film anything like the book (which I loved) so I'm not surprised or too bummed to see this (I also read up on movie news pretty regularly and was aware a while back that it wouldn't really resemble the book, so I had time to prepare.)

I think the only way to really make the book into an effective screen adaptation would be to make it a television mini-series. A movie trying to faithfully cover that scale and the book's tone with that many characters would be unwieldy and financially uncertain (the budget would be through the roof, the run time would be about 3 hours, and you'd have to go with an R-rating which cuts your audience considerably).

I think some of the scenes looked pretty impressive in this trailer. I still wish it could have been a mini-series on HBO or something, but this doesn't look all that bad.

Zoombie
11-10-2012, 12:02 AM
You know what I'd like to see?

Ken Burns making a WWZ "documentary"

Bloo
11-10-2012, 12:13 AM

that was my hope for WWZ

Manuel Royal
11-10-2012, 01:05 AM
I hate that it looks as if they're using fast zombies. Terrible idea.

One nice thing about movie adaptations, though -- whether the movie is good or bad, the book is still there on the shelf. (I've been wishing Max Brooks would do a follow-up concentrating on NYC, called World War Z: The Hero City.)

BenPanced
11-10-2012, 01:24 AM
I am so over zombies, it's not funny. The Facebook memes, the parodies, the reattempts to retell the stories and they only sound like the last guy's attempt, the parodies of the Facebook memes that sound like the last guy's attempt...pfeh.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
11-10-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't recall anything in the book about zombies being able to ignore the laws of physics.

It still looks better than the Red Dawn trailer.

KateSmash
11-10-2012, 02:02 AM
Considering this movie was supposed to come out this time two years ago, then had to go back for reshoots, and go back again for massive rewrites ... I'm not holding my breath. And this is one of my favorite books and arguably one of the best written pieces of zombie fiction.

Now, if anyone ever goes back and does an unabridged version of the audiobook, that'd be awesome. Because the audiobook is superbly acted and just needed to include all the interviews. *sage nod*

Jcomp
11-10-2012, 02:05 AM
I don't recall anything in the book about zombies being able to ignore the laws of physics.

It still looks better than the Red Dawn trailer.

derail

You know what really, really bugs the hell out of me in the Red Dawn ads? There's a line in there somewhere from Hemsworth where he says "They messed with the wrong family." Mother-effer, they invaded the United States. They've just "messed with" millions of families. Were you expecting them to leave yours in particular alone? If they had skipped your house and said, "Nah, we heard about you guys. We wouldn't want to mess with the wrong family, you're all good," would you have just abandoned the whole resistance movement?

If that line was a human being I'd smack it in the mouth with a pipe wrench.

That is all.

/derail

Zoombie
11-10-2012, 02:08 AM
I strongly agree with what you just said, Jcomp.

akaria
11-10-2012, 03:08 AM
The trailer looks like a good movie but it's not WWZ. I don't say it as some rabid fangirl who can't deal with an adaptation. This really looks like a generic action movie with the plucky hero saving the world and his family all by himself because he's just that badass. Yawn. It's like Day After Tomorrow or 2012 with bath salt crazed zombie swarms. That's fine for a Syfy movie of the week. Not WWZ.

Will I watch? Probably. Not in the theatre though. I'll get it from the bootleg guy selling DVDs, socks and incense on a blanket outside the KeyFood.

nighttimer
11-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Those aren't fast zombies, they're Olympic track stars, but that's fine by me. Those are the ones that pose a far scarier threat than the slow, shuffling ones. Both will eat you, but the fast ones mean you have to outrun them or that's your ass. Literally.

Otherwise, way too much CGI and I've heard things got so bad on the set, Pitt wasn't speaking to the director, Marc Forster. Last time we saw a Forster flick he was fucking up James Bond in Quantum of Solace.

Nothing about this trailer distinguishes itself from what a zombie movie made by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich might look like. If this is PG-13 (and since it's summer flick) the gore will be minimal in order to maximize the box office.

The only thing that can save World War Z and A Good Day to Die Hard is a "R" rating, otherwise I don't care about either one.

The other thing that stuck with me was the music. Why's it sound so damned familiar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66TuSJo4dZM)?

Sam Argent
11-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Too much cgi and pg-13 rating, I'm out.

shawkins
11-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Considering this movie was supposed to come out this time two years ago, then had to go back for reshoots, and go back again for massive rewrites ... I'm not holding my breath. And this is one of my favorite books and arguably one of the best written pieces of zombie fiction

Fair point, but I don't think they'd be releasing it in the middle of June if it had tested poorly. And you can get away with a lot under the umbrella of PG-13 these days.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

MttStrn
11-10-2012, 09:21 AM
This looks like it would have been a fine movie if they had just called it something else.

I adore the book but I doubt this is anything like it. Hell in the book they aren't the 28 Days Later fast zombies they are the the slower shufflers.

I third the call for a Ken Burns filmed documentary version.

frimble3
11-10-2012, 10:32 AM

That would be perfect. That would also be the only zombie show that I'd watch.
I loved the book because it was different. This movies seems so not different that I wonder why they bothered to pay for the name.

Bloo
11-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Considering this movie was supposed to come out this time two years ago, then had to go back for reshoots, and go back again for massive rewrites ... I'm not holding my breath. And this is one of my favorite books and arguably one of the best written pieces of zombie fiction.

Now, if anyone ever goes back and does an unabridged version of the audiobook, that'd be awesome. Because the audiobook is superbly acted and just needed to include all the interviews. *sage nod*

I read somewhere that they were going to do an unabridged, fully dramatized new audiobook. Let me see if I can dig out a link

J.S.F.
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Ken Burns, making a 'zombumentary'? Or is that a 'zoombiementary'? (Sorry:D)

Sounds exciting....

A novel I wrote (which got sold) has one scene where the MC and his girlfriend hide out in zombieland. I never cared for zombie movies although the first 'Templar' flick many years ago managed to rustle up some chills even though they were blind and moved very slowly. Inventive, it was.

I'll have to read the novel first. Not a Pitt fan although he's improved immeasurably from his early days in cinema.

MattW
11-10-2012, 04:43 PM
The book is so good there's no way a movie could do it justice

The walking dead manages to do zombies with minimal CGI but I guess there's no large scale action.

Manuel Royal
11-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Those aren't fast zombies, they're Olympic track stars, but that's fine by me. Those are the ones that pose a far scarier threat than the slow, shuffling ones. Both will eat you, but the fast ones mean you have to outrun them or that's your ass. Literally.Well, fast zombies register like crazed wild animals. Dangerous, but without the existential horror and pathos of proper, George Romero-type zombies.

akaria
11-11-2012, 03:03 AM
Well, fast zombies register like crazed wild animals. Dangerous, but without the existential horror and pathos of proper, George Romero-type zombies.

QFT!

nighttimer
11-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Well, fast zombies register like crazed wild animals. Dangerous, but without the existential horror and pathos of proper, George Romero-type zombies.

There's plenty of existential horror and pathos involved when a former friend or family member reanimates and attempts to tear out your throat with their teeth.

George Romero created two masterpieces of the genre. Everything else he did was hackwork.

"Proper George Romero-type zombies" is simply a descriptor of your personal preference. It's not the definitive last word.

Zoombie
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
...two?

TWO!?

Day of the Dead is easily the best in the series!

seun
11-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Fast zombies can fuck off and die.

seun
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Manuel Royal
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
There's plenty of existential horror and pathos involved when a former friend or family member reanimates and attempts to tear out your throat with their teeth.No, there isn't; not if they immediately attack you at high speed, like a track star with rabies.

Manuel Royal
11-12-2012, 03:42 PM
. . . Again.

seun
11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
. . . Again.

Exactly.

defcon6000
11-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I always thought the fear factor with zombies was in their numbers. If every person who ever died came back to walk the earth... well holy crap! That's a lot of dead people! And you, the living human, who has to somehow find your way around the multitude of undead, with limited supplies and skills.

So no, faster doesn't equate to scarier.

Jcomp
11-12-2012, 06:34 PM
I personally think the world of horror is big enough for fast zombies, slow zombies, flesh-eating zombies, brain-eating zombies, undead zombies, Vodou zombies, Chinese hopping zombies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Shi) and all other manner of evil creatures trying to kill and/or eat you.

Langadune
11-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Sadly, the similarity between the novel and the movie ends with the title. This is another instance where Hollywood bought the rights to a popular title (arugably one of the most popular "novels" among Z fans) and then Hollywooded it into something not resembling the original product.

Action? Most likely.
Engaging story? Maybe.
Battle of Yonkers/Hope? Probably not.
Kid with a sideways hat who won't listen to adults? Don't be surprised.

defcon6000
11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
I personally think the world of horror is big enough for fast zombies, slow zombies, flesh-eating zombies, brain-eating zombies, undead zombies, Vodou zombies, Chinese hopping zombies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Shi) and all other manner of evil creatures trying to kill and/or eat you.
I like my zombies shaken, not stirred. :D

seun
11-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they took the more mainstream, usual bits of the film for the trailer (explosions, running, helicopters, more running) to appeal to the widest audience. So there may be more to it than the trailer suggests. Or it may just be a big bag of poo.

AVS
11-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Shame the way they've gone with this. I liked WWZ the book because it reported the war in a factual and therefore increasingly distrubing way. I'm not sure you could make a single movie that encompassed it all, anymore than you could do a single movie that contained the entire second world war.

Still with Brad Pitt in a summer movie I suppose it was "inevitable."

nighttimer
11-13-2012, 08:12 AM

Q.F.T.

Zombie snobs are boring. :e2yawn:

Manuel Royal
11-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Q.F.T.

Zombie snobs are boring. :e2yawn:Any kind of snobs are boring. There haven't been any in this thread; only people with defensible artistic and aesthetic opinions. It'd be foolish to call them snobs.

I personally think the world of horror is big enough for fast zombies, slow zombies, flesh-eating zombies, brain-eating zombies, undead zombies, Vodou zombies, Chinese hopping zombies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Shi) and all other manner of evil creatures trying to kill and/or eat you.Definitely. It's just that, in this case, they made a decision in adaptation that changes the nature of the work a bit.

(Or maybe not. Really, it's hard to tell from the glimpses in the trailer.)

What I hoped for was a well-made pseudo-documentary, combining interviews with news archives, military combat footage, and personal video from people around the world. (Like somebody said: Ken Burns' The Zombie War.)

(Imagine if one of the personal videos recovered was from a phone or camera that was activated after its owner had unfortunately become a walking dead person.)

It's probably best to judge any adaptation on how well it works on its own. Not always easy, if you really like the source material; hard to mentally disengage those two things.

nighttimer
11-14-2012, 02:47 PM

. . . Again.

Any kind of snobs are boring. There haven't been any in this thread; only people with defensible artistic and aesthetic opinions. It'd be foolish to call them snobs.

"Fast zombies can fuck off and die" is hardly an artistic or aesthetic opinion.

And the trailer for World War Z still looks like crap.

seun
11-14-2012, 05:54 PM
"Fast zombies can fuck off and die" is hardly an artistic or aesthetic opinion.

Possibly not but they can still fuck off and die.

Noah Body
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they took the more mainstream, usual bits of the film for the trailer (explosions, running, helicopters, more running) to appeal to the widest audience. So there may be more to it than the trailer suggests. Or it may just be a big bag of poo.
Hey, the studios need to recoup their money somehow, and that's going to happen through foreign presales. And zombie pics suck notoriously at the box office, and since reanimated dead is a cultural taboo in places like China, WWZ has a long road ahead.

bearilou
11-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I dunno...

...Brad Pitt is still hot.

:D

Manuel Royal
11-18-2012, 07:45 PM
"Fast zombies can fuck off and die" is hardly an artistic or aesthetic opinion.Certainly it is.