Does distance matter?

Wiskel

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
High above the rooftops...swinging from web to web
I live in Liverpool, but a job has come up that seems interesting in Inverness. For those unfamiliar with UK geography, it's Scotland's most northern city, about 3 hours drive from Edinburgh (with only countryside inbetween), and an 11 hour drive from London. It does have an airport, but flying between Inverness and London isn't cheap.

I work full time. My job is demanding and time off needs to be planned some way in advance not to disrupt things too much.

I can hold out for other options. This is a job I could apply for, not one I must go for.

I'm unpublished but have a novel at beta reading stage. I've no track record as a writer. I hope to be looking for an agent in the next few months. If I'm able to make a living from writing, I imagine my full time job will slowly become more and more part time as I give myself more time to write.

If I allow myself a slight conceit and assume someone might be interested in publishing my work, will I be making my life especially difficult by moving to such a remote part of the UK?

Craig

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much all contact with agents and editors is by e-mail and phone. I have only once been to my editor's office, otherwise I meet him at conventions we are both attending.
Plenty of UK authors have US agents who they rarely meet.
So long as you have good broadband you'll be fine.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
My (UK based) agent reps someone who lives in Toronto.

I think you'll be ok ;)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I'm on the west coast of the USA; the publisher for my Sikhism book is in England; we've never met.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

LTMadison

Poobah
Registered
Reaction score
What everyone has said, with the additional note re "making a living from my writing." That is an extremley rare feat even for regularly published writers, so perhaps a better way of thinking of it is how can you plan your career so that it will allow you to balance a livelihood with your passion for writing.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I live just about a thousand miles from my agent, and two thousand miles from one of my publishers. I don't need broadband, either. I don't even need internet.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
I was beginning to worry something similar; all agents interested in my book thus far are in the US. Glad to see it's not uncommon to have international agents...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Having lived in the U.K., I know clearly how different the British conception of "distance" is from the U.S. conception. Liverpool is about as far from Inverness as San Francisco is from Los Angeles.

You want distance? Try living in Alaska.

caw

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
In NZ we're 17 hours ahead of NY. If a ph call/email conversation is needed I get up early or my agent stays late at the office. We make it work. Location doesn't really matter.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Having lived in the U.K., I know clearly how different the British conception of "distance" is from the U.S. conception. Liverpool is about as far from Inverness as San Francisco is from Los Angeles.

You want distance? Try living in Alaska.

caw

The difference between America and Britain is, the British think 100 miles is a long distance and the Americans think 100 years is a long time :)

Anyway, no distance doesn't matter - I'm in Sussex, my agent is in Colorado. We do okay. And Inverness is a great place. So make your decision on whether you want the job/move, because the writing angle is covered. (Also, Inverness has an airport for that day you want to go to lunch with your editor :D- one reason we tend to think distances are long is because we also tend not to think first of domestic flights)