forms of martial arts/ one-on-one combat

McMich

Registered
Reaction score
So I have a female character that is training for one-on-one fights. She is strong (but still only a girl) but never trained for anything like this before- typical 17 yr old girl. She has one month to train and knows who the opponents will be (all men ages 15-35).

What forms of combat/ martial arts would be the most beneficial to train her?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's been awhile since I've done aikido, but it does involve using the assailants' own force to overcome them. Might be worth looking into.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a female friend who does Krav Maga, a form of martial arts developed in Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

I'm thinking KM might be more helpful for someone with a short time frame than some of the other martial arts. They still wouldn't become experts, but they could use some of the techniques.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Akido is one of the most effective for a weaker fighter. Brazilian jiu-jitsu is very effective as well, but both take years of training before they're really effective.

I suppose if she trained 12 hours a day, with really excellent trainers she could learn enough in a month to be pretty effective.

If you want to look at examples, I recommend you look up Joyce Gracie, for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, one of the top modern-day practitioners. That'll give you an idea of the style. I can't think of any actual applied Akido fights you could look at, but Steven Segal did a lot of theatrical fights, back when he was an action star.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
I have a female friend who does Krav Maga, a form of martial arts developed in Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krav_Maga

Krav Maga isn't really about one on one fistfights. Most of the training revolves around dealing with armed opponents and such. For one-on-one cagematch-style fighting, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is probably the best form available, especially for a fighter who is likely to be outweighed and/or outmuscled.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Another vote for Brazilian jiu-jitsu, unless you get to use weapons, in which case escrima.

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What kind of fights? Are these rules-based competitions? Fights to the death? Seems that would change matters.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If the former, I prefer grappling. If the latter, I like silat and escrima.[/FONT]

McMich

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for all the quick responses. jiu-jitsu and akido look promising. you gotta love youtube for having videos to help visualize things like these.
More info:
It would not be fight to the death but rather, fight until someone quits or is incapacitated. Death would be best avoidable as all the people fighting will be the heads or next in line for several rich families.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Honestly? The attitude of her opponents if it's anything like the assumption that "only a girl" means "at a disadvantage."

She may not have the muscle mass of a 30 year old man, but agility and speed are likely on her side. And if she's small, it's actually an advantage. There's a reason gymnasts are compact - it works for fighters, too.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
You have to study aikido for a very long time (longer than most styles) to become truly combat effective with it.

Braziliian jujutsu is probably the best choice for one-on-one unarmed combat. Its disadvantage is that BJJers typically don't train a lot in defending against armed attacks, or multiple assailants.

I have a black belt in Japanese jujutsu. It's similar to Brazilian style (common origins), but we don't emphasize ground-fighting as much. BJJ fighters assume that all fights will wind up on the ground.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Hmm, a month really isn't very long at all. I hope you give her a background in something complimentary: i.e. gymnastics or dance or something else where flexibility and cardiovascular conditioning and coordination are well developed.

That said, I've studied a few martial arts and I think her best bet would be a combination of aikijutsu and boxing. You need her to be fast and ruthless and dirty. She needs to break bones and totally incapacitate with her first opportunity. She needs to doge punches b/c it really would only take one blow from someone who's got 25-75 lbs on her to stun her enough to finish her off - if that's the goal.

Boxers are incredible fighters on their feet, and they're quick. Akijutsu is really mean stuff (bone breaking stuff). Aikido can be brutal like that too. But you need her trainer to have an emphasis on capture/destroy rather than capture/comply.

There is a common saying in martial arts: "How you train is how you fight" and I believe that's often true. Kyokushin-kai Karate, which is the style I most enjoy and have trained in the longest, is considered especially brutal in Japan b/c they fight without pads and full contact without pulling any punches. They train the way they'd want to fight in real life.
quan lot nam goi cam do ngu nu cao cap may hut sua ao so mi nu thoi trang cong so cho thue trang phuc bieu dien
But like I said, one month is really not a lot of time.

Last edited:

BDSEmpire

Kindly Bumpkin
Registered
Reaction score
She has a month?

Training cardio so she can run like a deer would probably be a good use of that time.

I don't mean to be depressing or morbid but unless you were to give her years of training I don't see this ending well at all. I assume you want her to survive the fights, yes? Fleeing them or running her opponents round and round till they get tired is a viable tactic. If she gets grabbed she's going to get grievously hurt.

I was reading up on domestic violence stats recently and there's some pretty interesting studies that show both men and women commit nearly equal levels of domestic abuse when you account for all acts of violence - not just the ones being reported. The main problem is that when men strike back they tend to cause huge amounts of damage compared to women. This holds pretty well with the general notion that men are big and strong, women are fast and small that you get by looking around any large city. There are anomalies all over the place but the average tends to favor men for muscle mass and women for speed.

Then again, if you have a Hunger Games / Thunderdome / Gladiator-style arena combat that is inevitable, you might want to consider taking those same assumptions into account and giving your female MC a helping hand. A sympathetic pit veteran slips her a pointed stick. What can she do with a stick? Now she's got reach and a hard object that can drop a dude with the right amount of force - and it's well within her capabilities to do that.

She's dropped some ogre of a guy, was he carrying anything helpful? Pick it up! Not a sword, mind you, that takes years of practice and a lot of arm strength to wield effectively but a spear might be laying around and though that takes some strength to thrust it takes hardly any effort to put the butt end in the ground and let some overconfident fool rush right onto the pointy end.

It's not a foregone conclusion that a girl is going to die immediately in your arena if she keeps her wits about her, uses the environment and her physical abilities to her advantage and keeps well out of arm reach of these guys. When in doubt, kick for the groin and then run away.

Joemassaro

Professional Hack Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.josephpmassaro.com
So I have a female character that is training for one-on-one fights. She is strong (but still only a girl) but never trained for anything like this before- typical 17 yr old girl. She has one month to train and knows who the opponents will be (all men ages 15-35).

It depends on how long she has to train. Training takes years. She can train in any number of traditional and non traditional martial arts and specialize based on her build and frame. Women do tend to specialize in forms that use the opponent's body and movement against them. Most women are at a mass disadvantage to men. I imagine she will be at an even greater disadvantage against trained male fighters. And contrary to popular belief, a beefy muscle man is NOT slow. He can be quite fast and agile, particularly if he's had the right training. It's the same mistake people make when they see a really fit looking guy who hits the gym everyday. He may just have what is called a "gym body." Meaning, he's in good shape, but his muscled are not trained to perform specific activities.

Now, if you don't have a lot of time to train or want to give her a way to fast track her training, go for a street fighter. She has practical experience and fights dirty (no such thing as a fair fight). With those two qualities and some luck, she might squeak by. You can also take her street learned talents and build on them. In this way, she isn't a complete novice to fighting, just formal training.
Joe

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Women generally inflict less damage than men - not because of ability - but rather social conditioning. Girls are taught to be "nice" and "not hit." That translates even to life or death situations. I've heard self-defense instructors tell stories of 2nd and 3rd degree blackbelts who've been assaulted because they pulled their punches.

However, if it's not a setting where that's been drummed into the character, and she spends ALL her time training so that fighting's what's foremost in her mind, then one of her greatest disadvantages disappears.

Women can be brutal fighters, and often are when they "snap" in a domestic abuse situation. That same ability is always there so long as the person is willing to tap into it.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
I have a black belt in Japanese jujutsu. It's similar to Brazilian style (common origins), but we don't emphasize ground-fighting as much. BJJ fighters assume that all fights will wind up on the ground.

I study JuJitsu (NOT Brazilian, which is only half, at best, of what there is to know about jujitsu). True we don't fight as long on the ground because we understand the physics/mechanics of the arts and know how to incapacitate our opponents. (Momo Jime is a ground art meant to quickly crush floating ribs and hopefully puncture a lung, not just hold them to you so you can beat the crap out of them,which is what you see in cage fighting.)

As a short woman who works out with men I can attest to it being an excellent martial art for your MC to use. A month is short, but if she has a good teacher, and puts in several hours a day, she can certainly learn enough to protect herself, and do him some harm (more harm if he doesn't know JuJitsu and how to protect himself.)

If a large, muscular man came at me I could use his force to throw him, possibly even breaking his neck (if he didn't know how to fall). I can easily feint a strike, or use it to move into something that restrains or breaks something. We also do some (limited) training in defenses against gun and knife attacks.

McMich

Registered
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the responses. It gives me lots of good ideas and more to look up on youtube.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Curious, do the men have more experience than her or are they all similarly inexperienced?

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Curious, do the men have more experience than her or are they all similarly inexperienced?

That's a good question. Because there really is no martial arts training in the world that will make an untrained person a match for bigger, stronger, more experienced fighters in a month. (If there were, every martial artist would take that training instead of the styles they study!)

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
That's a good question. Because there really is no martial arts training in the world that will make an untrained person a match for bigger, stronger, more experienced fighters in a month. (If there were, every martial artist would take that training instead of the styles they study!)

Yeah if it was a 17 year old normal girl with one month of training against experienced males in their 20's and 30's, that would be quite unbelievable... unless the story's a violent cartoon like some of mine are, but even in those the 17 year old female war machines have usually been battling big men and bigger monsters for years lol.

Johncs

This space for rent
Registered
Reaction score

If there's a skill gap (aka newbie vs those with years in), then it's not a question of what, but who.

A good corner man(person) with a lifetime of tricks (dirty or not) up their sleeve can turn a dedicated beginner into a contender. The Eastwood role in Million Dollar Baby comes to mind.

Mark Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thought I’d chime in here since I’ve responded to these threads before and it’s more or less my area of expertise (I’m a contributing editor at Black Belt Magazine and the author of The Principles of Unarmed Combat). Without knowing more specifics about the scenario you have in mind (rules on the use of weapons or illegal techniques, how winners are declared, etc.) it’s difficult to offer too many suggestions. But to address a few points that other people have made:

If you’re looking for any level of realism, a normal sized woman is not going to get enough from one month of training to defeat the average man in a fight short of catching him by surprise, such as kicking him in the groin when he’s not expecting it. Of course, if she has to fight another opponent after this, and he’s paying attention, such ploys will become increasingly difficult to use effectively. The style of fighting she learns won’t matter very much as one month is simply not enough time to acquire any significant skill and the average woman is going to be smaller and weaker than the average man. This is assuming you are making her of average size with no prior physical training and her opponents are not complete wimps or fools.

That being said, it is fiction and you can always make it as unrealistic as you choose. While there is no one “best” martial art, if you insist on having her train in a martial art for a brief time to give her an advantage, the most effective one would depend on the nature of the rules you would be employing for the fights and what the skills of the opponents are. However, certain martial arts, despite what others have claimed, would not generally be very effective. Aikido, while a beautiful martial art to practice, is not typically regarded by serious close quarter combat experts as a practical martial art for fighting. Classical Japanese ju-jutsu (not Brazilian jiu-jitsu) was largely designed to be performed as a supplement to armed combat, often employing the use of a knife or other weapons and only being used empty handed as a last resort when you had lost all your own weapons.

Perhaps the most (semi) realistic way to make such a scenario partially believable is to mirror what was done in the early Ultimate Fighting Championships tournaments. These events were largely dominated by grapplers (Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioners as well as shootwrestlers and sambo practitioners) who won matches by simply dragging their opponents - often larger, stronger men who were skilled in stand up fighting but had little experience in ground fighting - to the floor and turning the matches into pure ground fighting battles. They were able to more effectively employ leverage and use submission holds such as chokes or straight armlocks, which required less pure size and strength to perform effectively than many standing techniques do. This, of course, would mean your main character would train intensively in the basics of one of these grappling styles while her male opponents would have no real knowledge of or skill in groundfighting. It would also probably mean rules which precluded the use of biting or eye gouging, which tend to make employing groundfighting maneuvers far more difficult (though there is at least one style I know of called Hkyen, which comes from Myanmar/Burma, that does make extensive use of biting techniques to go along with its grappling).

Hope some of that helped.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
There's a reason gymnasts are compact - it works for fighters, too.

No it doesn't. It takes many many years of hard training for a smaller person to be able to take a larger person, and even then there are limits. No skinny little girl is going to be able to take on a competent, fit man.

The idea that size doesn't matter much in a fight is a myth propagated by bad movies and video games.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Actually, it's a matter of torque ratios in the limbs.

There are limits though. A 115 fit as hell girl is going to have a hell of a time against a trained 6'4, 250 pound man.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
There are limits though. A 115 fit as hell girl is going to have a hell of a time against a trained 6'4, 250 pound man.

It needn't be even that great. Just look at how martial arts are divided into weight classes: generally separating fighters by 10-20 lb differences. It's done because of what a significant advantage that extra weight is to the fighter, and it is significant.

Last edited by a moderator: