air compressors, monoxide poisoning....

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

In the book 2010: A Space Odyssey, we learn that Dave Bowman lost his brother, Bobby, in a childhood accident. Bobby attempts to reach the bottom of a deep lake. They use an old air compressor attached to a pipe line. Bobby goes under the water, with mask, mouthpiece and air hose, he signals to Dave to increase the air flow, then dives under. Dave goes to the ancient compressor and opens the valve to its deadly maximum - fifty parts per million of carbon monoxide. Bobby doesn't re-surface.

In my story I have a similar situation where two brothers are out on a lake at night, and one drowns.

Why did the brothers in 2010 use an air compressor? It it not just possible to breathe through a tube/pipe as long as the other end is in the air? Or is it due to partial pressures? And is carbon monoxide just the by product of an old compressor or was it the opening of the valve too much.

I don't want to use the exact method as the one in 2010 (although is tempting). I have one brother watch the other go under, and he doesn't re-surface. Maybe strong underwater currents, caught in plant life, netting. Ideally something which the other brother isn't alerted to, he just waits and waits for his brother to come up, but doesn't.

Thanks for any help.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Water has weight. When we are on the surface at sea level - the air above us pushes down on our bodies. At 'one atmosphere' of pressure. This is roughly 14.6 pounds of pressure on each square inch of our bodies.

Water has weight. It's much heavier than air. When we go deeper into water, it presses in on our bodies. It compresses our lungs. It is very very difficult to 'lift' the weight of the water plus the weight of the air above it, with our chest muscles. You simply cannot 'suck' in air from a tube much longer than a snorkel. (A foot or two long)

Compressed air is forced down the hose to help balance the pressure of the weight of the water. The "REGULATOR" - normally held in the mouth while scuba diving - but can be attached to a faceplate in surface fed rigs - actually senses the pressure of the water around it and 'regulates' the flow of the air so that it reaches your lungs at roughly the same PSI as surface levels. So breathing while underwater is almost exactly like breathing on the surface.

I suspect that in the novel, the kids were either using a 'mechanical' air compressor - like you would find at a garage to fill tires or drive tools. These compressors take in air WITHOUT filtering it. So mechanical exhaust can be sucked into the air feed. Alternately - an improperly lubricated compressor will cause monoxide build up from the wrong kind of oil being used to lubicate the parts. When I learned to SCUBA dive back in the seventies, there were a couple of accidents because people were filling their takes at an 'uncertified' dive shop - who was using a plain old air compressor.

A certified diver usually doesn't dive without a buddy. Of course you could have your kids using equipment they found or discovered or something. So that there is only one person diving. IF you use a 'hooka' or surface fed rig - then sooner or later the brother on the surface will see that the line is not moving.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_equipment

http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/

http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba/scuba-specialty-items/hookah-diving/

And yes, getting fouled in some sort of underwater obstruction is an excellent way to die. It very nearly happened to me.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometime, while ABOVE water, try to breathe only through a garden hose. Because your lungs only hold so much air, your expelled carbon dioxide can't make it all the way to the end of the hose, so you inhale it back in; the volume inside the hose is larger than the volume of your lungs. You will run out of air quickly.

Carbon monoxide forms from incomplete combustion, such as when a gas furnace can't get enough air or (which sent my cousin to the hospital) a welding shop isn't ventilated well enough. I find it a little hard to believe that a gas-powered compressor operating on an open boat will be starved for oxygen. For your story, I think a simple drowning will suffice.

Hannibal7

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a very useful response. Glad you survived your near underwater death!