PDA

View Full Version : I'm in The Times today talking about my self publishing

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 02:09 PM
It's not a big piece but I thought I'd share it here as a little success story type thing. I did a brief interview ahead of the first Mumsnet Blogfest event in London this weekend, where I will be speaking on the 'Getting Published' panel as a 'successful' self publisher alongside a bunch of trade published writers, agents and editors etc.

(For those who don't know, Mumsnet is a MASSIVE HUGE parenting forum here in the UK so this is really amazing exposure for my blog, books and myself!)

http://madameguillotine.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/photo2.jpg

MorganMarshall
11-08-2012, 02:18 PM
That is AWESOME! So many congrats!

May I ask... what genre?

sarahdalton
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Congratulations! That's great!

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks so much!

Historical fiction! :)

Old Hack
11-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Madame, that's brilliant. A lovely little write-up, and I hope some bumper sales to come.

I hope the weekend's events go well for you. Do let us know what happened, won't you?

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks so much! I'm very pleased! :)

I will indeed report back - I'll probably write a blog post about the panel and any interesting nuggets that come out of the discussion so that you can all have a look! :)

leahzero
11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Very cool. Congrats!

(Also, might want to make the book in your sig clickable.)

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks! I don't actually know how to! I've got three books and want to a proper clickable signature with them but all my attempts have failed miserably! ;)

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, I just managed to get all three on my signature, so that's a start at any rate! I don't mind if they don't link to Amazon though so will just leave them as they are. :)

Old Hack
11-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Madame, you might want to take a look in the FAQ room: I think there's something there about images and linking and things. It's all very clever stuff.

MmeGuillotine
11-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I had a quick look but couldn't find what I wanted - I will have another look though as I've probably missed it due to being a secret Luddite! :)

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the etiquette of linking to books tbh as I'm aware this is a place to talk about writing but not necessarily promote so I didn't want to do the wrong thing and annoy people! :)

Sheryl Nantus
11-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Congrats! Best of luck and keep on writing!

stranger
11-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I had a quick look but couldn't find what I wanted - I will have another look though as I've probably missed it due to being a secret Luddite! :)

Thanks! I wasn't sure about the etiquette of linking to books tbh as I'm aware this is a place to talk about writing but not necessarily promote so I didn't want to do the wrong thing and annoy people! :)

You can do it as below. (I deliberately mispelled url and img in the closing brackets so it appears. Remove the extra g and l)

[url=http://][img]location of jpg[/imgg][/urll]

Ann Joyce
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Well, that's just wonderful. I wish you continued success!

merrihiatt
11-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Very exciting! You're such an inspiration! Can't wait to hear how the panel went.

I can't figure out the click-through book cover thing, either. I never really tried, though. Ha! Sort of like hoping I win the lottery, but never buying a ticket. :)

MmeGuillotine
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Thank you!

The event went really well at the weekend and I had loads of people coming up to me afterwards to say how inspiring I was and stuff, which was nice. Contrary to general expectation, the agent on the panel didn't have a cat fight with me but was actually massively supportive and enthusiastic about what I do. She was however rather ambivalent about the future of publishing, which I was surprised by.

Anyway, my write up of the event is here (http://madameguillotine.org.uk/2012/11/11/mumsnet-blogfest-2012/) if anyone wants to have a look!

Old Hack
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Contrary to general expectation, the agent on the panel didn't have a cat fight with me but was actually massively supportive and enthusiastic about what I do. She was however rather ambivalent about the future of publishing, which I was surprised by.

Why did you expect the agent on the panel to disagree with you? You've found a way of publishing that works well for you: I'd expect her to have been pleased about that.

If you'd been spouting nonsense about publishing I'm sure she'd have put you straight, but I know you wouldn't do that. You know your stuff.

Agents are often a bit negative about publishers and publishing, because they spend so much of their time pushing publishers for more on behalf of their author-clients. It would be surprising if they were wholly supportive of the publishers they deal with, if you think about it.

MmeGuillotine
11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Oh, I didn't expect any feathers to fly - by 'general expectation', I meant all the people who came up to me beforehand to say that they expected a really good cat fight between us.

However, for her part, she was very encouraging and kind and enthusiastic and on mine, I was at great pains to say that this is not war, there are no battle lines and it's perfectly possible to be in favour of both self AND trade publishing. :)

I was a bit surprised by how negative she seemed to be about publishers and how honest she was about her uncertainty about the future of publishing as a whole. Most of the agents that I've encountered up to now have been very keen to push publishing on to me as The Only Right And True Way and to emphasise that self publishing is just a flash in a pan.

I found her attitude immensely cheering - actually she's the first agent that I've met that I actually wish I could be represented by! :)

Old Hack
11-12-2012, 08:36 PM
She sounds like most of the agents I know, to be honest. I'm glad you've met a good one.

And don't forget to DM me her name!

annetpfeffer
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your story--and congrats! I love your covers, by the way!

Starchaser3000
11-22-2012, 05:02 AM
Congrats on your success. You don't hear much about self published success stories. I think you and others with your reputable success could be the pioneers the self publishing industry needs. There needs to be progressive improvement in the reputation of self published fiction writers from being blanket branded as crappy writers to the authors that are actually more original and innovative than the same spoon fed cookie cutter fiction writers that together sell joint millions every year for all their lemming fans. I will be cheering for you MadameGuillotine and the other successful self published authors for more success so new self published authors like me could ride your coat tails one day.

elindsen
11-22-2012, 05:07 AM
Congrats on the write-up!

Old Hack
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Congrats on your success. You don't hear much about self published success stories. I think you and others with your reputable success could be the pioneers the self publishing industry needs. There needs to be progressive improvement in the reputation of self published fiction writers from being blanket branded as crappy writers to the authors that are actually more original and innovative than the same spoon fed cookie cutter fiction writers that together sell joint millions every year for all their lemming fans. I will be cheering for you MadameGuillotine and the other successful self published authors for more success so new self published authors like me could ride your coat tails one day.

1) The reputation of self published writers rests solely in their own hands. The ones who have a good reputation, like Mme Guillotine, have earned it through talent and lots of hard work. The ones who have a bad reputation might want to consider why that is.

2) If you think it's fair or reasonable to sidestep that hard work by riding on anyone's coat tails then you are not going to do well here and are unlikely to sell many copies of your books. You've already shown a desire to get others to do your work for you (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253197): it's not going to happen round here.

3) Don't you dare talk so rudely about writers here, and don't you dare insult readers, either. So we're clear, I'm referring to this: "spoon fed cookie cutter fiction writers that together sell joint millions every year for all their lemming fans". That's really not acceptable. I suggest you read the Newbie Guide right now and refresh your memory on AW's One Rule.

Starchaser3000
11-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Man I was just kidding about the "coat tails" part. And the "cookie cutter" comment was not intended for anybody here. I was referring to only the big time $$$$ money makers. Its all just opinion you know, not a fact. I see and read posts that talk bad about certain writers here and other forums all the time. Why am I being targeted here?

Old Hack
11-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Man I was just kidding about the "coat tails" part. And the "cookie cutter" comment was not intended for anybody here. I was referring to only the big time $$$$ money makers. Its all just opinion you know, not a fact. I see and read posts that talk bad about certain writers here and other forums all the time. Why am I being targeted here?

Here's the thing about jokes, Starchaser: they're meant to be funny.

It doesn't matter how much the writers you were referring to earn from their writing or whether or not they're members here: it's still rude of you to write about them in that way, and unacceptable for you to do so here at AW.

We can't control what happens on other forums, but we can insist that while our members are here they treat each other, and other writers, with respect.

If you see anything here which you consider disrespectful, then please report the posts concerned so that the mods are alerted.

And you're not being "targeted", you're being told off for being rude. This does not mean that you're being singled out for special treatment: if I see anyone else being rude I'll tell them off too. I'd rather not have to tell anyone off at all, but there you go.

If you don't like being expected to behave reasonably here, there are two possible solutions: either you stop complaining and start being more respectful to your fellow writers, or you carry on as you have been doing and you'll be given a time-out and eventually a permanent ban.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Starchaser3000
11-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Fair enough. But the intent of the original post was to praise MadameGuilotine for her success as a self published writer. Which in turn contradicts the general consensus that self published writers can't succeed cause they are generally crappy writers.

I know my opinion that I believe many self published writers are actually more original, creative, and innovative than commercial fiction readers give them credit for might ruffle some feathers. But there is no need for anyone to be so sensitive over something that IMO is a fair opinion.

Sheryl Nantus
11-23-2012, 12:59 AM
Fair enough. But the intent of the original post was to praise MadameGuilotine for her success as a self published writer. Which in turn contradicts the general consensus that self published writers can't succeed cause they are generally crappy writers.

I know my opinion that I believe many self published writers are actually more original, creative, and innovative than commercial fiction readers give them credit for might ruffle some feathers. But there is no need for anyone to be so sensitive over something that IMO is a fair opinion.

What forum threads have YOU been reading here?

You might want to catch up on your reading before you catagorize AW as a place where "the general consensus that self published writers can't succeed cause they are generally crappy writers".

Sounds like you got a major chip on your shoulder.

fireluxlou
11-23-2012, 01:09 AM

I don't know why you'd think that. There's so many active regular users on here who are self-published it gets praised a lot, we do like to talk and analyse things on both sides of the coin. I like both methods to publication, each road to publication is different for each author.

Old Hack
11-23-2012, 01:19 AM

Starchaser, all of us can go back and read this thread. You're not going to get anywhere misrepresenting the discussion in this way.

Your opinion of self published writers wasn't criticised. It was this that I took you to task over:

Once again, I've emboldened the phrase I took exception to so that you can be clear about this.

I want you to stop posting for a while and re-read this thread. Try to follow the conversation. Stop twisting the conversation round to your own ends. And stop playing the victim. It's tedious.

Alessandra Kelley
11-23-2012, 02:39 AM

Sure, the intent of the OP was for MadameGuillotine to share some good news and get congrats. She did quite well.

But where did you find "the general consensus that self published writers can't succeed cause they are generally crappy writers"?

Not on Absolute Write, that's for certain.

The chief guideline here is "respect your fellow writer."

The mods take this very seriously.

You are also being disingenuous about what you said before. You did not merely express an opinion, as you are trying to claim. You casually insulted an entire category of authors and their readers (and you insulted the readers again in this quote).

Most of us are not interested in fostering little feuds and pitting writers against each other. Whatever our tastes, we respect our fellow writers.

Starchaser3000
11-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Right, the "general consensus" was based on the opinions I have read from other forums. Not here since I have not been here in quite some time. I should have clarified that. Can we move on now? Back on topic: Yaaay MadameGuillotine!!!

Williebee
11-23-2012, 02:51 AM
And now, back to the OP!

MmeGuillotine, congrats on your success, and your efforts. My only sadness is that we had not met you a year sooner. Judging from your user information you would have loved Steampunk April Fools Day.

Welcome!

Spell-it-out
11-23-2012, 03:54 AM
MmeGuillotine,

Well done, I wish you all the best and congrats on your recent success!

MmeGuillotine
12-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Oops, sorry, I missed the rest of the comments here. Thank you so much for all of your kindness - I learned so much (mostly what NOT to do and say!) from this forum while I was lurking here so it feels natural to come back to let you all know how things are going! :)

Williebee, that IS a shame as I would have loved that! I don't write steampunk books myself but I absolutely love anything like that. :)

In further news, I've just agreed to work with a local independent press do a limited (VERY limited in fact - just one hundred books!) run of my most popular book so that's all very exciting! I didn't want to produce paperback versions with Lulu etc as the quality isn't great and they are a bit pricey but this press work with a professional printer and their books are really GORGEOUS and cost the same as trade published novels too! Hurray. :)