Military Marriage

DreamlessNights

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

For a story I'm trying to get going, I had a question. If you marry someone in the military, would the military pay off or help you pay off your college debt?

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

For a story I'm trying to get going, I had a question. If you marry someone in the military, would the military pay off or help you pay off your college debt?

Hi! I'm retired military, and was married to a military officer (emphasis on was) who had some college debt.

The answer to your question is no. There is no specific program that reimburses a spouse for their college expenses. There are programs that help with the military member's college expenses (Tuition Assistance is one), but nothing like what you're asking about.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm retired military as is Hubby. Echoing Duncan J Macdonald's reply, DreamlessNights.

DreamlessNights

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I'm retired military, and was married to a military officer (emphasis on was) who had some college debt.

The answer to your question is no. There is no specific program that reimburses a spouse for their college expenses. There are programs that help with the military member's college expenses (Tuition Assistance is one), but nothing like what you're asking about.

Well gosh, there went my story idea. Ah, oh well, just have to twist it around some. Thanks for you help.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much, spouses don't get anything in the military. :)

And no, there are no college tuition assistance programs for spouses. But you might get something if you're the spouse of a military contractor, if that helps your story.

Jeff

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
Not really re: college but I had a friend whose fiancé was in the military and got transferred to West Point. When he applied for housing for him and his soon to be wife, they were denied until they got married, so they did a quickie courthouse wedding and didn't tell anyone (simply for the housing)well then she got pregnant and they had to. I laughed and said that was a great story. Truth of it I can't verify, that's the story she told me (who knows she could have made it up to explain away some "hanky panky") but its something

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much, spouses don't get anything in the military. :)

And no, there are no college tuition assistance programs for spouses. But you might get something if you're the spouse of a military contractor, if that helps your story.

Jeff

While it's not really tuition assistance, the new MGIB allows you to transfer its benefits over to any of your dependents, including spouse or children. So, your spouse could feasibly go to school for free on that if you elect to sign up for it. I plan on using TA to finish my degree, but I signed up for the MGIB in boot camp just in case I ever get married/have kids.

EmilyR

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to talk about the MGIB as well. After a certain amount of time in the service, a military member can transfer his GI Bill over to a spouse or child. This will not cover past expense though.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
I was also active duty military and married and concur with the above. Sorry!

Why do you need the military to pay off the spouse's college debt? Maybe we can help you work around this issue. :)