PDA

View Full Version : Seattle or Pittsburgh?

My-Immortal
01-23-2006, 07:16 AM
For those of you that care about the Super Bowl, who will you be rooting for - Seattle or Pittsburgh?

Since my favorite team isn't in and since it's Seattle's first trip in team history, I guess I'll root for them.

How about you?

Perks
01-23-2006, 07:23 AM
Pittsburg!!! I have a sports-crush on Bill Cowher and how great would it be to see The Bus end on such a high note? I like Seattle too, but I'll be making an a$s of myself for the Steelers.

poetinahat
01-23-2006, 07:25 AM
Me too. My folks live up that way now, but I'd go for them for the same reason as you, My-. I like to see the new blood win, when 'my' team isn't involved.

Still waiting for the Browns and the Lions to make good. And my sentimental favorites are the Saints. So... go Seahawks!

On the other hand, I'm quite happy to see the Steelers doing well.

Anybody but the Cowboys, Broncos and Forty-Niners. We all have to have someone to hate.

brokenfingers
01-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Pittsburgh.

Though they're not my favorite team, I've always liked them since the seventies.

My-Immortal
01-23-2006, 07:26 AM
It's actually tough for me to choose because I do like quite a few of the Pitts players - but it's also hard (at least for me) to root against a team that has NEVER been in the Super Bowl....

It 'should' be a good game.

clintl
01-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Seattle. They've always been one of my favorite teams.

emeraldcite
01-23-2006, 07:28 AM
Pittsburgh.

I'm formally from PA

My-Immortal
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
Hmmmm - I should have made this a poll....

Optimus
01-23-2006, 07:29 AM
I'm bummed that the Colts are gone, but I gotta go with the Steelers in this one. Seahawks are good, but I don't think they can compensate for the Steelers' crushing defense.

MacAllister
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
I live here, I'll be rooting for the Seahawks.

I think they're gonna get creamed, though.

Perks
01-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Yeah, the Seahawks looked sharp today, but the Steelers looked like they all had big, knobby, monster-truck tires.

My-Immortal
01-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Ahhhhh....I figured out how to add a poll after the fact....wow....I'm impressed with myself! LOL

Okay - those that have posted, go back and vote in the poll.

Take care all - (and have fun!)

maestrowork
01-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Pittsburgh. It's my hometown. I've pledged eternal allegiance to the terrible towel. I am very pleased. They weren't even expected to be in the play-off, then they became the first sixth-seed to get to the championship game, and now they're going to the bowl. Whether they win or lose, I think that's pretty darn impressive. And being a 'Burgher, I have to vote for the Steelers.

poetinahat
01-23-2006, 07:55 AM
And being a 'Burgher, I have to vote the Steelers.
Homer Simpson's obviously going for the Steelers:

Mmmm... Burgher...

maestrowork
01-23-2006, 07:57 AM
Homer Simpson's obviously going for the Steelers:

Mmmm... Burgher...

But it's the pit's burgher... mmmmm.... *drool*

kristie911
01-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Okay, now I'm pissed. I was watching television and got distracted and voted for the freakin' Seahawks!

GO STEELERS!!!

three seven
01-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't know the first thing about football but I'm contractually obliged to wear a Seahawks hat.

MacAllister
01-23-2006, 03:58 PM
damn right, you are.

:D

three seven
01-23-2006, 04:15 PM
I am trying to learn, incidentally, but I can't seem to find anyone who actually understands the rules.

MacAllister
01-23-2006, 04:22 PM
There are rules?

jdkiggins
01-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers!

Go Steelers!
Go Steelers!
Go Steelers!

The Steel Curtain. Woo Hoo!

Can you tell I live in PA and right near Pittsburgh? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Shadow_Ferret
01-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Dangit! I want my vote back. I accidently voted for Seattle. :(

I want the Steelers to win for several reasons:

1) I'm still mad at Holmgren for leaving Green Bay.
2) I only root for NFC teams. So why am I not rooting for Seattle? Because they aren't an NFC team, they are an old AFC team and the Steelers are actually an old NFL team that was sent over during the NFL/AFL merger.

maestrowork
01-23-2006, 07:18 PM
How can anyone accidentally vote for Seattle?! A supermod can fix that for you, but I doubt Mac would do it. ;) :D

Jaycinth
01-23-2006, 07:30 PM
PITTSBURGH!!!!

I really don't like the fact that the Seahawks took so much of the 'teal' from their uniforms and changed it to that semi glittery denim full body thing. Its dull and a little creepy. Believe me if Blackstone were giving thumbs up or down for uniforms the Seahawks would be soooo slammed. I mean not only do they go out in public like that, but NATIONAL TV!!! I'd be embarassed is what I'd be. Let me tell you.......rant rant rant rant rant....:Soapbox: ...rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant.......rant rant rant rant rant

Perks
01-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I really don't like the fact that the Seahawks took so much of the 'teal' from their uniforms and changed it to that semi glittery denim full body thing. Its dull and a little creepy. Believe me if Blackstone were giving thumbs up or down for uniforms the Seahawks would be soooo slammed. I mean not only do they go out in public like that, but NATIONAL TV!!! I'd be embarassed is what I'd be. Let

Good god, I'm outed again. The thing is, the Seattle uniform is actually quite a cool color. Very, can I say it? - pretty. It just clashes terribly with turf. Look closely; you'll see what I mean.

So, it's not their fault. It's Mother Nature's.

Shadow_Ferret
01-23-2006, 07:43 PM
How can anyone accidentally vote for Seattle?! A supermod can fix that for you, but I doubt Mac would do it. ;) :D

I was in a hurry and assumed it was in alphabetical order, I hadn't had my morning coffee yet, my wife was calling me on the cellphone, one of my coworkers was bothering me and my dog ate my homework.

WVWriterGirl
01-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, since my husband's Redskins got bumped (by Seattle, no less) and since my own precious Saints didn't have a chance, and since I've always loathed the Steelers, I think I'll be cheering for the Seahawks this year.

When it comes time to place my traditional 25-cent bet with my dad, I'll be taking Seattle.

sassandgroove
01-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Well I purposely voted for the seahawks! Go Sea HAwks!!! WhooHOO!!

MacAllister
01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
It's really very exciting. Shaun Alexander has hardly said anything rude and dismissive of his coach or teammates, all year!

robeiae
01-24-2006, 01:08 AM
I hope both teams lose.

(I wanted Denver vs. Carolina)

Rob :)

maestrowork
01-24-2006, 01:36 AM
I hope both teams lose.

(I wanted Denver vs. Carolina)

Rob :)

Santa wasn't very kind to you. Have you been a bad boy?

GO STEELERS!
GO STEELERS!

ETA: One more thing why I am rooting for Pittsburgh -- Ward. I can't help put root for an Asian player.

louisgodwin
01-24-2006, 09:50 AM
My official prediction: Steelers get 30-something points, Seahawks will score something less than 20.

samgail
01-25-2006, 12:54 AM
I love Sean Alexander(he is a BAMA man) and I live in the pacific northwest and my whole family loves the seahawks.
I am married to a former Steeler and work for the organization so I will be rooting for the Steelers. Like a crazy mother ****er. Deep down in my sentimental female heart, I am glad for the seahawks, but remain a Steelers fan. GO STEELERS!
Sam

WerenCole
01-25-2006, 01:25 AM
I would very much like to see a stand up individual like Jerome Bettis win the superbowl then retire. . . even more Detroit, the site of the game, is Jerome's hometown, so I would like to see Pittsburg win. I don't really give a flying frig about the Seahawks

September skies
01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
darn it! I voted for Seattle - thinking you were asking about the city - without thinking and before I even read the thread. (I love Seattle)

But I'm cheering for Pittsburg Steelers all the way! We have a BIG SUPERBOWL PARTY every year at my brother-in-law's (he's got the biggest big-screen I've ever seen) and it gets wild. Last year I ended up being thrown in the pool (that was not fun) and everyone gets a little drunk. (ok, not me nor my girls)

rtilryarms
01-25-2006, 02:10 AM
Interesting. I can change the number of votes (I didn't) but I can't move the people who voted from one group to the next. Have you tried re-voting?

Pittsburgh has been my substitute team for some time now. The Dolphins have not been doing well the last 10 years so I vote Pit.
I am a native PAman

writerterri
01-25-2006, 02:14 AM
Seattle- http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_1_35.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZUxdm080YYUS)

I'm an old fan of theirs.

popmuze
01-25-2006, 02:14 AM
This has nothing to do with the topic, but I just finished Michael Chabon's ode to Pittsburgh, Wonder Boys. Loved it. Didn't like Mysteries of Pittsburgh. My daughter was accepted to University of Pittsburgh, but didn't go. And I love Big Ben and his miraculous tackle in Indy.
Go Steelers (a vote against Starbucks here).

My-Immortal
01-25-2006, 03:04 AM
Maybe someday we should do a city vs city poll.....but this one is only about the Superbowl....

....though, I suppose some people may choose one or the other based on their likes/dislikes of a certain city.

Hopefully, it is an exciting game (with some good commercials!)

Sarita
01-26-2006, 02:00 AM
I hope both teams lose. I grew up a Giants fan and at some point converted to the Eagles after we moved to PA. I don't really care about either team, but since I'm married to a Steelers fan life would be more fun if they won.

louisgodwin
02-06-2006, 02:39 AM
In anticipation of the Big Game that's about to start, I have resurrected this thread from about page 5 or 6 in this forum. Anyone care to make some last minute predictions?

I stand behind my prediction. Steelers: 30-something points. Seahawks will probably have a score somewhere in the teens.

Please let us all hope and pray that Mick Jagger does not have a wardrobe malfunction... or any of the other old geezers.

Serenity
02-06-2006, 03:01 AM
My score is 33 to 17... in favor of the Steelers, of course. For me, they have to win. I teach and my kids will never let me live it down if they lose. I had to deal with my lovely child-Eagle's fans last year when the Patriots knocked my beloved black and gold out of the picture. Of course, I got payback when the Eagles lost to New England.

Shwebb
02-06-2006, 03:02 AM
I hope the Steelers lose, just because I like to see Bill Cowher pout.

I really don't care much either way--but I have to root for the Seahawks because my husband sees the Steelers as a rival to his beloved Bengals.

We may differ on some political issues, but by golly, I'd better not cross him in football!:)

veinglory
02-06-2006, 03:08 AM
it's a close bet even here--I'm going for Pittsburgh

Vanessa
02-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Seattle all the way! They've never been to the SB.
I won't catch the game till much later. I haven't been interested in watching this year's game.

brokenfingers
02-06-2006, 03:34 AM
Hahahaha! I just saw a Bud Light commercial - hilarious!!

Liam Jackson
02-06-2006, 04:33 AM
I love the 'Burg, but Seattle has one of the best offensive lines I've ever seen. Watch for Seattle's Cover 3 to give Big Ben hell in the second half. (I've got a case of beer riding on the Steelers.)

Note: I'm with Carole, below. Let's vote on the commercials. They're better than the game, so far.

Carole
02-06-2006, 04:33 AM
So, hubby isn't a huge football fan. BUT He is watching this game. *sigh* I thought I was gonna get through a whole season without having to see one. Unfortunately we only have one TV.

Can I vote for a commerical instead of a team? I did like the Fed Ex one. Whoever dreamed up the Burger King one should be tortured by the girls in fake condiment costumes, who can't dance, falling and suffocating them.

veinglory
02-06-2006, 04:36 AM
commercials so far

best: clydesdales

worst: godaddy.com

louisgodwin
02-06-2006, 04:55 AM
Halftime report: Pittsburg: 7 Seattle: 3

brokenfingers
02-06-2006, 04:57 AM
bud lite had the best so far, i think. i loved the first one with the officeworkers searching for the beer

louisgodwin
02-06-2006, 04:59 AM
The whopperettes commercial made me wanna gag.

I laughed my a$$ off when that guy ran up and took the beer from that humongous grizzly bear.

I didn't get that Kermit the Frog commercial... WTF?

The caveman/dinosaur commercial was cool, but I can just hear the animal rights activists now launching a boycott against Fed Ex because that caveman kicked that little dinosaur.

veinglory
02-06-2006, 05:06 AM
I think even PETA understand animatronics....

dahmnait
02-06-2006, 05:07 AM
The caveman/dinosaur commercial was cool, but I can just hear the animal rights activists now launching a boycott against Fed Ex because that caveman kicked that little dinosaur.But he got squashed, animals 2, caveman 0.

dahmnait
02-06-2006, 05:11 AM
And Seattle is still going to kick...well they will kick something!!

(Dallas fan with nothing better to do than to root for the Seahawks.)

veinglory
02-06-2006, 05:14 AM
they're really stuffing up the sound on the Stones.

Shwebb
02-06-2006, 05:15 AM
I liked the cellphone commercial--was it Sprint? The phone with "crime deterrent."

SC Harrison
02-06-2006, 05:16 AM
The caveman/dinosaur commercial was cool, but I can just hear the animal rights activists now launching a boycott against Fed Ex because that caveman kicked that little dinosaur.

That commercial was classic. Come on:

"You're fired."

"But FedEx hasn't even been invented yet!"

"Not my problem."

WerenCole
02-06-2006, 05:20 AM
I can't seem to avoid the Stones this year. . . they played at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville while I was still there and the whole town was bogged down with crazy lunatic Stones fans, now they are at half time of the Super Bowl as opposed to some good ole Mo-Town rocking sessions. . .

Hasslebeck held the ball too long at the end of the half, the score should be 7-6 at this point, if not 10-7 Hawks. . .

I don't think Cowher's theory on offense is well adjusted to what Seattle is throwing at them. . . they need to establish some type of rhythm. . . as opposed to Seattle which, if you judge the first series of plays definetly had a plan to get the ball into the hands of their playmaking recievers. . . but the are not giving Alexander the ball enough.

I really hope Mick doesn't have a "wardrobe malfunction"

louisgodwin
02-06-2006, 05:23 AM
I think even PETA understand animatronics....

True. But despite the fact that Dino was computer-generated, they will probably still launch an aggressive campaign, saying Fed Ex is "mean-spirited."

I'm not a classic rock fan, but I have to hand it to the Stones. They put on a good show.

Liam Jackson
02-06-2006, 07:10 AM
The beer is safe! Go Steelers!

dahmnait
02-06-2006, 07:16 AM
:e2bummed: Bad Seahawks....Bad...Bad Seahawks.

Now you must be punished. :e2chain: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/33/SeattleSeahawks_100.png (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SeattleSeahawks_100.png)

My-Immortal
Congrats to Pitts. I was rooting for Seattle because they'd never won a big game...but it really didn't matter. Congrats to Pitts. :)

Sounds like The Bus just 'retired'....

maestrowork
GO STEELERS!!!!
GO STEELERS!!!!

And a beer for Ward, too. We Asians kick a$$! :)

(now, let the riot begin)

three seven
02-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Rigged.

Sage
02-06-2006, 07:31 AM
I didn't get that Kermit the Frog commercial... WTF?

The caveman/dinosaur commercial was cool, but I can just hear the animal rights activists now launching a boycott against Fed Ex because that caveman kicked that little dinosaur.What didn't you get about the Kermit commercial?

I liked the FedEx commercial, & my roommate, who loves dinosaurs & volunteers at animal shelters, wasn't home, but I wondered if she would enjoy that commercial as much when the caveman kicked the little dino. Then he got stepped on, & I knew she'd be LHAO at it. Sadly, she still hasn't seen it. But I thought it was good.

Liam Jackson
02-07-2006, 12:31 AM
GO STEELERS!!!!
GO STEELERS!!!!

And a beer for Ward, too. We Asians kick a$$! :)

(now, let the riot begin)

Wha..? You're Asian? And all this time, I thought Lori and Mac were saying, "Ray's an alien!" Who knew?

aka eraser
02-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Tough call. But I think I'm leaning toward the Steelers.

ChunkyC
02-07-2006, 02:18 AM
I'm not a classic rock fan, but I have to hand it to the Stones. They put on a good show.
Keith Richards and Ron Woods have to be two of the laziest performers on the planet. Mick, on the other hand, always gives it everything he's got. Overall, I find the Stones to be a so-so live band and am baffled by how people rave about their concerts. Give me a Springsteen show any day. He puts more into the opening chord of one of his shows than Keith has put into his entire career.

JMO. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Perks
02-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Keith Richards and Ron Woods have to be two of the laziest performers on the planet.

They're not lazy. They're dead. For moldering corpses, I thought they looked pretty nifty.

Mick, on the other hand, always gives it everything he's got. He is also dead, just more stubborn than the others.

And before anybody starts in on me about ageism, please realize it's not the years, it's the mileage.

Shwebb
02-07-2006, 02:38 AM
My husband thought they put on a decent show, but I thought it was lackluster.

But you're right, Perks--not bad for the living dead. (But I hope I can move around as well as Jagger when I'm his age.)

maestrowork
02-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Now, why do people have to turn something wonderful into something nasty and destructive? Is this that stupid, primitive male gene thing or alcohol? Then some people think this is like the second coming of Jesus or something...

A police officer tries to get students away from a car that was overturned
by crowds on Bigelow Bouelvard, Oakland, after the Super Bowl.

Car horns blared, ale-fueled fans poured out of bars into the streets ,
private homes erupted in cheers and high-fives.

The strategy seemed to work, at least for a while. Early on, there were
reports of small fires on the South Side and in Oakland, and some people
shot off the obligatory firecrackers and bottle rockets.

In Oakland, crowds of young people waved Terrible Towels, threw toilet paper
and set off fireworks once the Steelers secured the win. About 10:30 p.m., a
large group on Bigelow between the Cathedral and the William Pitt Union
tipped over a lonely Dodge Neon, the only car on the street, and bashed out
its windows.

People danced atop the car for 20 minutes, until police officers moved in,
circled the vehicle and ordered everyone to leave. One brave man jumped back
atop the Neon, but the police hauled him down and let him go after a
lecture.

Young people who had originally congregated on Bigelow Boulevard quickly
tired of bashing the overturned car and headed back down Forbes Avenue
toward the center of campus.

They tore down store awnings, smashed a few windows, and flipped city trash
cans and newspaper boxes. Another overturned car was reported on Forbes
Avenue near Stephen Foster Memorial.

Near Forbes and Bouquet Street, one large group pulled down street signs and
even broke apart several parking meters, scattering change in all
directions.

One person climbed onto a walkway over Forbes Avenue and exhorted the crowd
to do more damage.

About 11:30, groups of riot police wielding shields and batons moved in.

The police, augmented by K-9 units and officers on horseback, began
splitting the large crowd into two parts, pushing one section toward Atwood
Street and another group toward Oakland Avenue.

The mounted police began moving toward a crowd of several hundred who had
remained behind near the Cathedral of Learning.

While police began dispersing the throng, some in the crowd taunted the
police, laying down in the snow to make snow angels and snapping pictures of
themselves in front of the riot-gear-clad police.

Some people stood atop buildings, hurling down toilet paper and other junk.

About 11 p.m., at 12th and East Carson streets on the South Side, a large
fight erupted and several arrests were made, said Deputy Police Chief
William Mullen. Another person was arrested near 18th and Carson after
trying to punch a police officer.

He also said two trash bins near Carson were set on fire, and around
midnight, police in riot gear began advancing east on Carson toward 18th,
clearing fans from the streets. Some officers reported that they were being
pelted with bottles near 21st Street.

At Casey's Draft House in the 1800 block of East Carson, Lora LaRue, 40, of
South Versailles, spent most of the second half turned away from the TV, her
hands folded, asking a higher power for a hometown win.

"I am sooo praying," she said, noting that she hadn't washed her Hines Ward
No. 86 jersey since the first of the year. "I grew up with football. I love
football and I love the Steelers."

Then she, too, rushed into the street.

Bill Holland, 47, came from Washington, D.C., just to watch the game in
Pittsburgh. He said he'd never been here before.

"I knew Pittsburgh would win. Winning the Super Bowl validates your town,"
he said.

On the North Side, police officers began filtering into the Federal
Street-General Robinson Street area about 9 p.m., after closing the Roberto
Clemente Bridge to traffic.

Police broke up a minor altercation outside HiTops bar after the game, but
that was the only hint of trouble.

The city scheduled 500 to 550 officers to be on duty last night.

For an hour after the game officers for the most part let the revelers enjoy
themselves. Some were chuckling at the spectacle, no doubt glad themselves
that the Steelers were bringing a fifth world-championship trophy back to
Pittsburgh.

Earlier in the evening, the mood was decidedly upbeat at Peter's Pub in
Oakland following a trick play by the Steelers in the fourth quarter that
resulted in a touchdown.

Meaghan McGuirk of Johnstown, celebrating her 22nd birthday, was nearly out
of breath, screaming "This is the greatest day ever! This is the greatest
day of my life. I don't know what to do."

My-Immortal
02-08-2006, 01:09 AM
My husband thought they put on a decent show, but I thought it was lackluster.

But you're right, Perks--not bad for the living dead. (But I hope I can move around as well as Jagger when I'm his age.)

I cringed at the wardrobe malfunction.....every time Mick's shirt rode up and showed his belly button......

I don't need to see some old guy's belly button.....

I cringed against just typing this. LOL

Take care all -