Status
Not open for further replies.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
For the last few weeks, I've been writing a word processing program designed specifically for editing and producing poetry.

PoetryEditor.png

It's still pretty much beta, but most features are working correctly (rhyming dictionary and help under construction). I'd like to ask any AW poet to download the installer below and try out the program. Please report any bugs/sugs to me in this thread.

Features:
  • Import Text from existing files
  • Save as text file
  • Spell Check
  • Table of Metrical Feet
  • Verse Form Reference
  • Poet's Guide Book
  • Verse Form Creator
  • Dynamic Syllable, Word, Sentence and Line Counting
  • Rhyming Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
  • Templates for popular Verse Forms with dynamic auto-refrains

3 Interchangeable Editing Interfaces:
  • Distraction Free
  • Simple
  • Advanced

Poetry Editor is developed using .net framework 3.5 -- you must have that installed for it to work. If your windows OS is up to date, this shouldn't be an issue, but Vista and win7 (already 3.5 pre-installed) users are less likely to have trouble than those using XP

Last edited:

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Since e-readers seem to have such a hard time formatting poetry correctly, perhaps you might want to address that in your program? Perscribo already has a lot of experience in that regard, if you want to work with her or pick her brains ...

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
My experience is solely with Kindle publishing and straight transcribing (with the simplest HTML). I think what Kie is getting at is an authoring tool for poets, and my opinion weighs in no more than any other poet. The features, however, still seem a little vague. I'd be happy to take it for a whirl when you post your update. Does it matter my OS?

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
kie, you've probably already heard of and maybe even tried Scrivener. I find it helpful in writing both prose and poetry, and it has a huge number of features that might give you many useful ideas about what features you want to use. Its tutorial is also huge, detailed, and incredibly clear and well-written, and for me is probably going to serve as the high bar in tutorials for a long time to come.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I think what Kie is getting at is an authoring tool for poets, and my opinion weighs in no more than any other poet. The features, however, still seem a little vague. I'd be happy to take it for a whirl when you post your update.

I've updated first post to include a few of those features :)

My experience is solely with Kindle publishing and straight transcribing (with the simplest HTML).

As an exportable file type, or 'save as...' template, this is still doable.

Does it matter my OS?

It's Windows specific at the moment, built with Visual Studio and written in VB.net -- so mac users will need a virtual machine, emulator or WINE, but even then, the range of windows references used may make emulation difficult... possibly crossover would do the trick.

Last edited:

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Thanks for sending me the link, Kie. I work mostly from my iMac now at home, but I think my old PC laptop (running XP) should still have the horsepower to harness it. The features are exactly the sort of all-in-one reference I was hoping for. Very exciting. Will definitely check it out and offer some feedback.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Download link re-added and now with screenies to boot!

I'm still working on the Rhyming Dictionary, but all other features are complete. Give it a go, let me know any bugs etc

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Chapbook? What a terrifically odd place to find this. Certainly the last place I could imagine anyone looking ...

Does this placement insinuate that the program's development has been abandoned? Or am I the one insinuating?

I'm confused.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Development is not abandoned. Because the application is undergoing a huge overhaul, it's been temporarily moved to a less 'public' location.

BTW, as far as insinuations go -- I believe I recall you saying something about a technical writing past... would it be too much to ask if I could bend your ear in terms of getting a pro user manual put together? (full credit of course)

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Sure, I wouldn't mind. It would give me something to do in an already tight schedule, which seems to be the only way I ever get anything done.

It's important to mention that I do not code. As a matter of ignorance, not principle.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's important to mention that I do not code. As a matter of ignorance, not principle.

:) -- the bulk of the coding is done. I'm finishing off the interface options and Rhyming Dictionary at the moment.

What I'm asking is for a little help in putting together a user guide/manual. The program has a built in FAQ, but something more in depth is always handy.

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
Shoot it by me, give me some details as to what you are looking for and how you think I might best satisfy your goals and needs.

Give me a link to your current build and whatever you think I might need to get started on establishing a deep and instinctual understanding of the program so that I might help relate it to those like myself who at present have no understanding of the program, zero conviction that it might suit them, and no particular desire to delve further without a compelling case being presented why they should.

Or, if you'd just like someone to comment at a distance or give you second opinions while you pile it all together yourself, let me know that, and how I might take up the task of finding out whatever is needed to give worthwhile feedback.

Perscribo

Pound cake.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.perscribo.com
Overhaul? Does that mean I should wait to try it again? So far I''ve not been able to get it to work on my Win XP PC.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
encountered a problem with the spell checker and am currently working toward resolve. Hence, dl link removed

Billytwice

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. What version of English will your spell checker be - UK or US?

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Fiddled a lot -- still working on the rhyming dictionary, but would like feedback on the dynamics and general framework if anyone's interested.

Currently the linked content is 32-bit OS only... sorry.

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
OK, overhaul is now complete and the project has been moved to .net version 4.

I've made several design changes and would like at this point to request some community help. Here's what I need (if anyone's interested):

• proof of concept / functionality testers
  • researchers (to assist with the rhyming dictionary)
  • example poems
  • technical author (to aid with the FAQ, built in help)

Testers will be expected to give feedback on UI design, ease of use, bugs and errors, and offer suggestions on functionality and features.

If you are interested, subscribe to this thread and contact me via PM for more details.

*Note that if you decide to let me use your poem as a sample/example piece then technically it will count as being published -- all credit will be given to the author and no rights reserved by me at all. All contributing parties will be given due credit.

Last edited:

kborsden

Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
OK. So here we are then.

After the feedback and wish-list of features from the previous release, 2 years in the making, I finally have a new version. I have revised the rhyming dictionary to use algorithms for metaphone, soundex, asondex and spelling to produce lists of random words fitting the required format for various rhyme types (HUGE amount of work). Condensing the English language into mathematical values is hard -- there are defined rules, and exceptions, exceptions with rules, and exceptions to those!

Saved files now have a custom extension and use a custom language format (PML: Poetry Mark-up Language = a derived form of xml to record meta elements of the poem).

New features:
- scansion module (scans each verse and returns values for elevated/soft accent)
- rhyme dictionary (produces word lists for common rhymes, reverse rhymes, perfect rhymes and slant/metaphones)
- parallelism dictionary (alliteration, assonance, consonance)
- on-demand lexicon and phrase book

Retained features:
- syllable count per verse
- word count per verse
- line count
- spell check
- thesaurus
- multi document editing
- verse form schematics

The UI is still simple and customizable -- I should have a download up and ready within the next few days (want to do some last minute testing and polishing). I'm also looking for a decent place to make it available... not keen on 4shared or drop box, so will likely be using oneDrive. As such, I'd like to initially release to a small group of volunteering beta testers.

As before:
•proof of concept / functionality testers
researchers (to assist with the rhyming dictionary)
•example poems
•technical author (to aid with the FAQ, built in help)

Testers will be expected to give feedback on UI design, ease of use, bugs and errors, and offer suggestions on functionality and features.

If you are interested, subscribe to this thread and contact me via PM for more details.

*Note that if you decide to let me use your poem as a sample/example piece then technically it will count as being published -- all credit will be given to the author and no rights reserved by me at all. All contributing parties will be given due credit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.