PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever eaten raw poultry?

backslashbaby
11-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Did you get sick? Aaaaack!!! My microwaved frozen Cordon Bleu had still-raw chicken in the middle that I didn't notice till I had eaten 3/4 of it. Aaaaack!

Oh, my. I'm waiting for possible doom to descend.

The only time I had really bad food poisoning, it was kind of one of the worst experiences ever. My boyfriend and I had seafood at this Chinese place, and the next day (and two more) we thought we might die. I called my parents and warned them, even :ROFL: I crawled up very slowly and unlocked the door so the paramedics could come in without us having to move later.

Oh, my. Tell me it's going to be OK :D

Kerosene
11-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Have I?

Yeah. I eat a lot of raw meat. But I eat it locally farmed, as in my aunt's, or neighbor's, or in communities where they don't mass produce their livestock.

Food poisoning is a bitch. Can't remember what I ate, but I was sick close to four days. Everything was running out of me, from everywhere.

*Rubs your belly* Hope you feel better.

BenPanced
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Did you get sick? Aaaaack!!! My microwaved frozen Cordon Bleu had still-raw chicken in the middle that I didn't notice till I had eaten 3/4 of it. Aaaaack!

Oh, my. I'm waiting for possible doom to descend.
I've lucked out because I've eaten undercooked poultry on a couple occasions but nothing's happened. But that's just me.

The only time I had really bad food poisoning, it was kind of one of the worst experiences ever. My boyfriend and I had seafood at this Chinese place, and the next day (and two more) we thought we might die. I called my parents and warned them, even :ROFL: I crawled up very slowly and unlocked the door so the paramedics could come in without us having to move later.
The first guy I lived with was...weird about money. Anyway. He once ate half a can of clam chowder and put the rest in the fridge. He got incredibly, violently ill after eating it and I told him I was going to throw away the rest. "Why? I haven't finished eating it!" I should have thrown the can at his head to beat in the stupidity of that statement and remind him why he got sick in the first place.

Oh, my. Tell me it's going to be OK :D
You'll be okay. Except if you aren't.

jjdebenedictis
11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
Eek, I hope you get lucky and are totally fine. Whatever happens, remember to post here again so we know you didn't die, okay? :(

MacAllister
11-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Was it still frozen, when you nuked it?

leahzero
11-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Are you sure it was raw, or just frozen? Microwavable dinners usually come pre-cooked and just need to be heated up.

I had food poisoning once too, and was convinced I was dying. There is no mistaking that I-will-puke-my-last-gut-out feeling.

Hope you're not sick!

Alpha Echo
11-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Oooh, I've had food poisoning twice - once from chicken still not fully cooked and once from sushi. My body rid of the poison through my mouth with the sushi and the other end with chicken. I hope you don't experience either! Because both are miserable.

Saturnine
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
If it was frozen you should be ok. Personally I like my poultry cooked all the way through, but I know lots of people eat it less cooked. And I eat red meat more or less raw and have not gotten sick from it (::knockonwoodknockonwoodknockonwood::). My uncle used to say: "it doesn't matter if it's bleeding or burnt like a brick; if the meat's bad, you'll still get sick."

backslashbaby
11-06-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm OK! I hope I stay that way, but it's been long enough, surely.

It was still frozen, Mac. What got me was that I'm used to Lean Cuisines and things that are pre-cooked. I didn't even notice that this meal was raw! I thought it was your basic TV dinner kind of thing, because of the packaging.

Note to self: read the manual :ROFL:

I'm still laughing about your ex, Ben :D When I was young, I worked in a fancy French restaurant and the chef gave me a free tub of his lobster bisque. That stuff was like gold to me. So I savored it, and I tried to make it last for like a week.

What?

OK, so lobster bisque doesn't last a week in the fridge. I figured that out :ROFL: I hadn't been moved out from the parents for long and was fairly clueless about lots of things.

thebloodfiend
11-06-2012, 11:30 PM
If it hasn't hit you yet, I think you'll be alright.

I haven't food poisoning since I accidentally ingested parasites in Hawaii ages ago.

I'm rather over cautious with the meat I cook. I pretty much cook it until it's almost burned. Even undercooked eggs freak me out.

Lavern08
11-07-2012, 01:01 AM
If it hasn't hit you yet, I think you'll be alright.

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. ;)

I've never had food poisoning, but then again, I like my meat medium to well done, and you couldn't pay me to eat sushi or any kind of "tartar." :tongue

jjdebenedictis
11-07-2012, 04:30 AM
Sorry to rain on the celebration, but it can take up to two days for a breeding colony of harmful bacteria to build up enough that your gut notices and starts trying to purge it.

You're probably fine (and thank goodness!) but stick close to bathrooms for the next two days, just in case.

backslashbaby
11-07-2012, 08:36 AM
Sorry to rain on the celebration, but it can take up to two days for a breeding colony of harmful bacteria to build up enough that your gut notices and starts trying to purge it.

You're probably fine (and thank goodness!) but stick close to bathrooms for the next two days, just in case.

Aaaaack! Possible doom, still?! Well, Obama just won, so my doom quotient is better overall ;) I'll take it.

Lavern, have you ever tried steak tartar? It sounds and looks bad, but it's so good! I think I get mine with a raw egg, too, which is really vile if you think about it. I probably have a rock gut. Maybe it's pickled? :ROFL:

benbradley
11-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Last time was about five years ago, and this was the last time I can recall being sick for ANY reason (I attribute that to my vitamin regimen). I ate some "Asian Cuisine" (I think that was the brand name, it was some off-brand thing regardless) frozen chicken-and-rice thing from Aldi Foods for lunch. I think I heated it up enough, but while eating it I just barely noticed it didn't taste quite right. About an hour later I noticed I wasn't feeling right. A couple hours later I was feeling bad enough I went home and laid down for the rest of the day. I didn't throw up or anything, but I was okay the next day.

Oh, and there was butterbeans that didn't taste quite right at the boarding school I attended (this was, ahem, decades ago). It was part of the dinner the night before finals. I made it to the toilet in plenty of time the next morning, but a few others didn't, and I heard some mighty strong cussing coming out of their rooms.

Oh, and about it being frozen, I always check (especially since the incident five years ago) frozen things after being heated in the microwave to make sure everything, especially the middle part (which doesn't really get heated as much as the outside despite the claim that a microwave "heats all the way through"), is Really Hot (by poking my finger into it). The packages warn about how the "food product" must be heated to at least 160 degrees F before serving/eating. That's supposedly the temperature to kill whatever bad organisms might be in it. If you have the extra time, put the microwave on a lower setting and heat it for longer, that will make for more even heating.

thebloodfiend
11-07-2012, 09:10 AM
I'd test it and go eat some sashimi and raw oysters right now :)

backslashbaby
11-07-2012, 09:12 AM
I really need to do that, Ben. The inside was definitely warm, but it apparently wasn't hot enough for long enough to cook the middle of the chicken. Blegh. It was filled with melted cheese and (hot) ham, so it took a while to notice.

I think I'm going to make sure nothing I nuke has warm parts. I'm bad about just stirring it all together if part is not as hot as most of it.

backslashbaby
11-07-2012, 09:17 AM
I'd test it and go eat some sashimi and raw oysters right now :)

That sounds wonderful, actually! If I do get sick, I'm ordering something risky if I can still move. It won't stick around anyway :D

Oh, you reminded me. I've eaten raw oyster stuffing before, too! We kids got into one Mom hadn't cooked yet and we didn't realize that early enough. We didn't mind the oyster part; we grew up on raw oysters. I still like them best like that.

regdog
11-07-2012, 02:56 PM
It's best to never microwave those frozen chicken meals. They are usually uncooked and really need a good cook in a conventional oven for at least 25-35 minutes.

Lavern08
11-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Lavern, have you ever tried steak tartar? It sounds and looks bad, but it's so good! I think I get mine with a raw egg, too, which is really vile if you think about it.

I probably have a rock gut. Maybe it's pickled?

I saw a chef prepare steak tartar on The Cooking Channel and while it looked interesting, I wouldn't touch raw beef with a ten-foot pole.

I'm not a picky eater, but I just don't trust (even my lead belly) uncooked meat. ;)

Maze Runner
11-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I like kibbeh nayeh. Anybody know why it's okay to eat raw beef or lamb but not chicken or pork?

Alpha Echo
11-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Glad you're ok afterall!

mirandashell
11-07-2012, 09:40 PM
I like kibbeh nayeh. Anybody know why it's okay to eat raw beef or lamb but not chicken or pork?

Something to do with salmonella?

Maze Runner
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Something to do with salmonella?

I'm sure you're right. When i was 17 years old I got my first apartment. A friend who worked in a restaurant brought me a whole ham (I'm sure he paid for it) that I assumed was cooked. God, I was sick. I have photos of me looking like death.

stormie
11-07-2012, 10:23 PM
backslashbaby--it's a day and a half ago, right? You're getting close to the two day either-you-have-food-poisoning-or-not mark.

I had it once in college from chicken a la king where they traced it to undercooked chicken. The dorm bathrooms were madhouses and very smelly within two days.

Second time was my MIL's raviolis. She made them and left them out on the back porch in 60 degree F. weather for a day. Within two days every member of the family was sick. Except for her. She has an iron stomach and not a clue about proper refrigeration no matter what we say.

Let us know how it goes. Or doesn't. :)

jjdebenedictis
11-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I like kibbeh nayeh. Anybody know why it's okay to eat raw beef or lamb but not chicken or pork?You have to assume chicken meat is contaminated with salmonella almost as soon as it's slaughtered. Even eggs can pick up salmonella, inside the shell, while they're still being formed inside the chicken.

With pork, getting a tapeworm is your bigger concern. I'm not sure why pig meat is more likely to carry the parasite than cows, for example, but it might be because pigs eat anything and are often raised in dirtier conditions.

Maze Runner
11-08-2012, 01:41 AM
You have to assume chicken meat is contaminated with salmonella almost as soon as it's slaughtered. Even eggs can pick up salmonella, inside the shell, while they're still being formed inside the chicken.

With pork, getting a tapeworm is your bigger concern. I'm not sure why pig meat is more likely to carry the parasite than cows, for example, but it might be because pigs eat anything and are often raised in dirtier conditions.

Okay, makes sense. Thanks.

stormie
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
So...has anyone heard from the OP? Come in, backslashbaby!

Maze Runner
11-08-2012, 07:10 PM
So...has anyone heard from the OP? Come in, backslashbaby!

I've been worried about both of you.

JimmyB27
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
I had food poisoning after eating some crab a couple of years ago. I won't go into the horrible details of why, but I barely slept for a few nights in a row. I was reading the final book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series at the time.
Let's just say that the resulting hallucinations were....interesting...

backslashbaby
11-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Oh, no, no! I'm so good, stomach-wise :D I think raw chicken is a tonic, even :D ;)

I just have a migraine, so I'm flaky on my web surfing. I'm sorry! The migraine is nothing unusual, btw. I'm really good, overall :)

LJD
11-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Glad to hear you're OK.

My grandfather was a meat inspector. Meat is always well-cooked in my family...

shyne
11-09-2012, 09:10 PM
The fifth? I pleads it...

stormie
11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh, no, no! I'm so good, stomach-wise :D I think raw chicken is a tonic, even :D ;)

I just have a migraine, so I'm flaky on my web surfing. I'm sorry! The migraine is nothing unusual, btw. I'm really good, overall :)
Whew! Glad to hear all that you have is a migraine (though those are debilitating too).