PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

Richard Paolinelli
11-05-2012, 08:09 PM
So I had given up on an agent who I had queried some time back and queried another agent, who asked for a partial, which he has had for about 2 weeks.

Today I get an e-mail from the first agent who also wants a partial, but the second agent does not want simultaneous submissions.

Do I e-mail back the first agent and explain and tell him I will send him the partial after I hear back from the agent who has the partial now? Or just not respond at all until I hear back?

Help, I say, Help!!!!!!

mayqueen
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
If my reading comprehension hasn't failed me, you queried Agent X and Agent Y, both of who requested partials, right? And Y has the partial on an exclusive right now, but X wants it too? I would email X and say that it's out on an exclusive right now but you will send as soon as possible (and give a date range). It doesn't matter what order you query agents, but what order they request stuff.

Richard Paolinelli
11-05-2012, 08:28 PM
If my reading comprehension hasn't failed me, you queried Agent X and Agent Y, both of who requested partials, right? And Y has the partial on an exclusive right now, but X wants it too? I would email X and say that it's out on an exclusive right now but you will send as soon as possible (and give a date range). It doesn't matter what order you query agents, but what order they request stuff.

That was what I was wondering, that and how to respond to the second agent's request when the first agent had asked for an exclusive partial.

Will it impact the second agent's opinion of the novel if he gets the requested partial later knowing the first agent passed?

waylander
11-06-2012, 01:48 AM
This happens all the time and agents are used to it.

Mr Flibble
11-06-2012, 02:34 AM
That was what I was wondering, that and how to respond to the second agent's request when the first agent had asked for an exclusive partial.

Thank you for your interest in Title. I'd be glad to send you the Whatever Is Requested, but it's currently out on exclusive. I'd be happy to send it to you when that has expired in X weeks.

Will it impact the second agent's opinion of the novel if he gets the requested partial later knowing the first agent passed?Maybe, maybe not - agents will make up their own minds and they know things are subjective to a certain degree(though interest always helps move things along!) As Waylander says, happens all the time.

J.Reid
11-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Exclusives stink. This is one of the many MANY reasons why.

WeaselFire
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Agents pass on perfectly good work all the time. They only have time to devote to the works they know they can sell well. If a work is good but not in their area, they'll pass. If a work is potential competition to another author they represent, they'll pass. If their daughter gets sent home from school for wearing handcuffs to class, they'll... Well, that depends on the genre I guess...

Jeff

Phaeal
11-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Tell anyone who asks for a look before the end of the exclusive period that you've given an exclusive read but would be glad to send them the MS ASAP.

Simple. Honest. Don't try to read the requestor's mind. Maybe he'll be impressed that someone else is reading your work. Maybe he'll just say, sure, send when available and not give the matter another thought until the MS arrives.

Doesn't matter. Simple, straightforward response. The rest is in the agent's hands.

Richard Paolinelli
11-07-2012, 08:42 PM
I e-mailed the second agent back and explained as suggested above, He wrote back and said he had no problem waiting. All appears to be well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

This is actually the third agent (out of just six queries) to ask for a partial now, so I am feeling very good about the novel at this point.