PDA

View Full Version : Pirating website PSA

CheekyWench
11-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Authors beware...tuebl.com website pirating work. Check to make sure you're not in their database.

Admin Note:
I've deliberately broken the link because this is a particularly unsavory site.

I'd rather not show up on their referral logs, and I'd rather not lend them AW's Google juice.

You can copy-and-paste the link, and prepend an http://

Vespertilion
11-05-2012, 05:35 AM
There are several AWers' works available there.

ETA: From the site--

TUEBL.com offers you the possibility to download a free epub of -deleted-
Like many, we believe that culture should be free and we give you access to thousands of books even if you can't afford to pay for them.

We also offer you the possibility to buy them directly on a famous website.

Whatever you choose, remember that authors have spent days, sometimes months, for your pleasure. Support them if you like what they do.

Well that makes it all better. :sarcasm

CheekyWench
11-05-2012, 05:36 AM
/hiss

Williebee
11-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Thanks, Cheeky. The site has been mentioned before. Sad to see the guy is still in business.

thothguard51
11-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Yes, we have had numerous complaints, warnings, about this guy.

falkvinge.net/2011/12/12/travis-mccrea-is-a-terrorist/

ETA By AW Admin: I'm breaking this link too, for similar reasons.

He now has some trumped up church in Idaho hosting his site on their servers. He claims its a legal 501 deduction. Church founder is also a leader of the Pirate Party of Sweden Youth Group... Hmmm

What he fails to understand is even if the church is a legal 501 and believes if sharing communication, the church is not exempted from breaking laws, and publishing other peoples work without permission is illegal.

I hope the U.S. revokes the churches 501 status. If not, the next thing you know we will have a church of Anonymous and a Church of Wikileaks...

jeffo20
11-05-2012, 06:37 AM
authors have spent days, sometimes months, for your pleasureShoot, I guess my problem is I've been spending too much time on my writing.

frankiebrown
11-05-2012, 07:01 AM
You know, it's funny that I see this today. I was out with some friends last night, and one them said something about how he'd downloaded a thousand books. For free. Illegally. I got so mad! I told him that if someone stole my work that I'd spent months, years even, writing then I'd feel like they'd broken into my home and stolen my cat. It's personal. And he was bragging about it! What's wrong with people?!

thothguard51
11-05-2012, 07:20 AM
What's wrong with people?

The early Internet breed an atmosphere of entitlement that everything on the Internet should be free.

LeslieB
11-05-2012, 09:15 AM

The early Internet breed an atmosphere of entitlement that everything on the Internet should be free.

I think it is a little more complex than that. I know some people see nothing wrong with getting a free electronic copy of a book that they own in a physical format, i.e. hardback or paperback. They feel that they've bought the book already, and shouldn't have to buy it again just to read it a different way. The "I'm going to have to buy the White Album again" routine hasn't hit books yet.

There's also the matter of availability. I confess to having some book pdfs that a friend gave me. I would have bought them, but the physical books are out of print and the publisher has pulled the e-versions from the websites that used to sell them.

Old Hack
11-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Here's an earlier discussion we had about this site. (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250534)

They've done more than pirate books: they've also bullied some of the writers who have objected.

Nasty stuff.

Phaeal
11-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I think cars should be free. And food. And clothing. And houses. Hell, they're more important than culture, aren't they?

Looters are looters.

Period.

Foinah
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I just tweeted that he's a thief. Plain and simple. Pirated books are wrong.

Bogna
11-06-2012, 07:41 AM

I don't think that's it. This isn't a one size fits all problem. Everyone I know that torrents does it because they feel that the products are over priced for their quality. They are not going to pay $20 for a pile of shit or a DVD that they are going to watch once.

Williebee
11-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't think that's it. This isn't a one size fits all problem. Everyone I know that torrents does it because they feel that the products are over priced for their quality. They are not going to pay $20 for a pile of shit or a DVD that they are going to watch once.

And do they also have a dozen sports cars in their driveway? Two plasma TVs in each room? Three Rolex's for each hand and at least one diamond on every finger? How about piles of fast food bags from all the food they just walked into the restaurant and took?

If not, why not? The logic is the same.

BenPanced
11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Then they can just haul ass down to the library and check out that same book or DVD for free. If they don't like it, they can return it early and forget it ever crossed their path.

CrastersBabies
11-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Do a lot of people actually download books illegally? I mean, BenPanced has it. Libraries. Hello! They even lend out e-versions of books now at some sites.

I just can't imagine pirating a book. For all the enjoyment you get in those 300-500 pages (depending on what you're reading), it's totally worth the price, imho.

People are ass-monkeys.

Vespertilion
11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Do a lot of people actually download books illegally?

Hell, one of the younger guys in my husband's office was talking about looking through his neighbors' computer files (remotely) because he just wanted to see what music, books, and movies they had. He seemed genuinely surprised by the collective D:

"That's not illegal, is it?"
"Yes."
"What, really?"
"Would you break out a window and steal books and DVDs from them?"
"But that's not--I mean... No."

A large group of people just doesn't seem able to categorize intangible property the same as physical property. Something about the ease of making copies, I suppose.

CrastersBabies
11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
LOL, and looking at a computer remotely is not illegal? :)

Vespertilion
11-06-2012, 08:04 PM
LOL, and looking at a computer remotely is not illegal? :)

Right? What's worse is the guy is a freaking law student. Copyright law is what he's studying right now.

aibrean
11-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Shoot, I guess my problem is I've been spending too much time on my writing.

No...he just missed years.

Anyway, I clicked on a book title and got an error page so I'm wondering if the back-end to download is no longer working (the cloud server he's using).

ghost
11-06-2012, 09:08 PM
My page is still working.

They've got both my books up there and have ignored the takedown notices that my publisher has issued. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I think what makes me so angry are his comments about having freedom. He states that everyone should have a *right* to what they want. Don't I have a right to earn a living by writing? He's taking away my right because he's a lazy brat who wants everything for free.

Wisteria Vine
11-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I just found my writing mentor's books all listed on that site. This makes me SO angry. Theft is theft - apparently this loser punk never "got" the whole morals thing.

ARoyce
02-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Does anyone know anything about www.ebookonenote.com? Google just found a listing there for my upcoming book.

nkkingston
02-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Most of the links on the front page actually take to you amazon. It says they'll do that if the torrents get taken down, but I'm wondering if this is a site pretending to link to torrents and actually making money off the amazon affiliate program. It just seems unlikely that if this were a torrent indexing site they'd all have been taken down. Have you checked where the links on the entry for your book actually take you?

Torgo
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
My page is still working.

They've got both my books up there and have ignored the takedown notices that my publisher has issued. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I think what makes me so angry are his comments about having freedom. He states that everyone should have a *right* to what they want. Don't I have a right to earn a living by writing? He's taking away my right because he's a lazy brat who wants everything for free.

It is, as you say, very annoying and wrong.

It particularly irritates me because I believe there are certain renegotiations of copyright that need to happen, which would involve things like getting rid of DRM, ending territorial release windowing, and an end to heavy-handed and unworkable anti-piracy enforcement efforts. Asshats like this guy, on the other hand, can't even make a coherent argument for why he's doing what he's doing beyond just wanting everything to be free, which is stupid.

Dorky
02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
There are so many things I want to say, but Iíll just address these two statements for now.

It particularly irritates me because I believe there are certain renegotiations of copyright that need to happen, which would involve things like getting rid of DRM, ending territorial release windowing, and an end to heavy-handed and unworkable anti-piracy enforcement efforts.
Yes, this is all stuff that needs to happen. I am also an advocate for shorter copyright terms, but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

Yes; in the USA you have a right to try and earn a living the way you want barring illegal activities. No, he is not taking away your rights.