PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Daily Deal

Noah Body
11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Just a quick note to let folks know that if Amazon approaches them to participate in the Kindle Daily Deal program, don't hesitate. I went from around #5,000 to #23 and sold over 3,000 units in 24 hours. This was a couple of days ago, and I just fell out of the Top 100, but the lift was fantastic. Even at the reduced price ($1.99 from $3.99) I had my best single day of sales...EVER.

Still ranked at #1 in Horror, which is kind of cool, though some guy named King is right behind me. :)

leahzero
11-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Damn nice. Congrats!

triceretops
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Noah, is this a voluntary program or do you have to be picked by Amazon?

Link to the information?

tri

bearilou
11-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Just a quick note to let folks know that if Amazon approaches them to participate in the Kindle Daily Deal program, don't hesitate. I went from around #5,000 to #23 and sold over 3,000 units in 24 hours. This was a couple of days ago, and I just fell out of the Top 100, but the lift was fantastic. Even at the reduced price ($1.99 from $3.99) I had my best single day of sales...EVER.

Still ranked at #1 in Horror, which is kind of cool, though some guy named King is right behind me. :)

Ooh, King...is he new? :ROFL:

Grats, Noah! Grats! :hooray: :yessmiley

Luis Samways
11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
congrats man, well done

mccardey
11-04-2012, 09:20 PM

King who?

:roll:

(Yes, I laugh at my own jokes. Bite me.)

Rubay H.
11-04-2012, 10:35 PM
That's awesome! Congrats, Noah.

From what I heard it's like hitting the lottery as far as chances of getting picked up. Is that true?

merrihiatt
11-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Great news!

Just want to clarify that the Kindle Daily Deal is not associated with the other Kindle deal program that requires an author to pay for promotion. I can't remember the exact name of that program right now, but if you have to pay, it's not the program Noah is referring to.

Ann Joyce
11-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Absolutely fabulous...congratulations!

Tienci
11-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Fantastic! Congrats! :hooray:

Noah Body
11-05-2012, 01:35 AM
That's awesome! Congrats, Noah.

From what I heard it's like hitting the lottery as far as chances of getting picked up. Is that true?
It seems that way. I'm not sure how it works on the Amazon side insofar as how they make their choices, but it does seem to consist of someone saying, "I like this one!" (And perhaps with some appreciable sales to back it up--this book's highest reach before being selected was #343 in the Kindle store, so it's not like it was completely unknown, I would guess.)

Noah Body
11-05-2012, 01:37 AM
Great news!

Just want to clarify that the Kindle Daily Deal is not associated with the other Kindle deal program that requires an author to pay for promotion. I can't remember the exact name of that program right now, but if you have to pay, it's not the program Noah is referring to.
No, it's not...but if it can deliver the same kind of exposure, it might be worth springing for, depending on the cost.

Noah Body
11-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Noah, is this a voluntary program or do you have to be picked by Amazon?

Link to the information?

tri
Tri, you have to be picked.

Here's the link to the general info:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kdd_kbhp_cta?ie=UTF8&docId=1000677541&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_r=10YC0Y0VGN5BC8PKRPCV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1412621662&pf_rd_i=133141011

I'll post the agreement they emailed me later...have to run off and see about some trees getting cut down this week.

merrihiatt
11-05-2012, 02:11 AM
No, it's not...but if it can deliver the same kind of exposure, it might be worth springing for, depending on the cost.

All reports I have read (only 4-5), say it made no appreciable difference in sales.

Noah Body
11-05-2012, 02:44 AM
Terms, as emailed to me:

I work with the Kindle Direct Publishing team, and from time to time we reach out to our authors and publishers about participating in certain types of promotions.

We are considering including your book (The Gathering Dead (A Zombie Apocalypse Novel)) in an upcoming promotion in the Kindle Book Store. We would offer the book at a discount we determine off of your book’s list price for a period of up to approximately one day, as a part of the Kindle Daily Deal. Your list price won’t change, so that customers see your list price and the discount.

If your books are included, your royalty will be calculated based on our discounted price (not your list price), up to a discount of 65% off of your book’s list price. For example, if we sell your book at $1.99, where the 70% royalty option applies, your royalty will be calculated as 70% x ($1.99 – delivery costs and taxes). To be included in this promotion, your book must have a list price between $3.99 and $9.99.

The promotion will begin on a date we determine, which we anticipate to be at some point between 10/25/2012 and 11/04/2012.

Here are some other terms:

Not all books made available will be included, so we can’t guarantee yours will be, and we may discontinue the promotion at any time.

You must keep your book in the Kindle Store for at least 90 days after the promotion ends; you can’t un-publish it or terminate your participation in KDP during that period.

Due to system latencies, the exact start and end times of promotions are approximate and can take from a few minutes to several hours, but in some cases this period may be longer.

If you agree to participate, this email and the KDP Terms and Conditions will be the entire binding agreement between you and Amazon Digital Services, Inc. with regard to the promotion.

Except as provided in this email, the KDP Terms and Conditions apply to your book and this promotion.

If you represent a Publisher other than yourself, by agreeing to participate you also confirm that you are authorized to agree on behalf of the Publisher.

If you would like to participate in this promotion and agree to the terms above, please respond to this email stating: “I would like to participate and I agree to these terms.”

merrihiatt
11-05-2012, 06:18 AM
Thanks for posting the contract, Noah.

Rufus Coppertop
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Bite me.)Hell no! I'm scared your avatar might retaliate on your behalf.

Katie Elle
11-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Congrats and thanks. I always wondered if they gave you the 70%

Diane
11-05-2012, 11:02 PM
So you just have to be in KDP and not the Select program? That's really interesting.

Chiquita Banana
11-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Congratulations, Noah! That is so fantastic!!

ZoeYork
11-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Fascinating, thanks for sharing!

MartinD
11-07-2012, 02:14 AM
I love that you've shared so much. Appreciated! Oh, and congratulations!

BAY
11-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up Noah. I didn't even know about it.

Noah Body
11-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up Noah. I didn't even know about it.
No problemo--if they approach you with the offer, seriously consider it. The economics seem to make it worthwhile.