• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Not exactly blocked, but close

Status
Not open for further replies.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I'm not even sure exactly what I'm trying to ask. I know everyone gets anxious about their writing, so how I feel isn't unique or even unusual. Having read a lot of sites to that effect that only offer as a cure 'keep writing', I just end up feeling like as long as I'm still able to front up at the page and write something I have no right to complain. As long as I'm ahead of the official NaNoWriMo goal and I can still get words on the page I must be fine.

Okay, the question part is going to go like this: am I fine? Is it really normal to feel terror at the prospect of opening my writing program and seeing my WIP on the screen?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Every word you put on the page makes your story unique/different/special.
Your story is unique/different/special.

Don't try to augment it by adding something "unique", try just to write what you wish and finish it.

You're fine. It's normal to feel hesitant about getting into the work. But, why fear something you have total control over? It's your work, you do what you wish, and break any limits you set. Readers won't lynch you for trying something, you won't get tarred and feathered for telling the story you wish, even if it's not breaking boundaries, being fully exciting or coming out into the world as startlingly unique.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing fairly steadily for the last [OMG!] 8 years - and I still get twitchy when I get ready to start the next story. And I twitch a bit all the way through, to be perfectly honest...

RemiJ

Registered
Reaction score
I've been writing for about six weeks now. Although I've been surprisingly disciplined I have run into a block or perhaps hesitancy would be a better word about three or four times now.

I found that going back and tweaking my outlines pulls me out of it. As I write I sometimes combine scenes that were originally meant as stand alone, or I'll refine the qualities of a character. By doing that I will have strayed from the direction. These choices have so far made the story stronger but they also cause me to lose focus. Strengthening the outline gets me back on track.

Give it a shot it might help you regain your focus. Good luck.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Yes, you're completely normal.

Every time I open a document and I'm starting a new scene, or a new chapter, or, heaven forfend, a new novel, I feel that cold clench of fear. What if what I write sucks? What if it's not as good on paper as it was in my head? Etc. etc.

Once you get going, the fear dissolves into the joy of writing.

If you're having trouble getting started, warmup exercises might be a good idea.

If you're in the middle of a WIP, another good technique is to stop writing mid-scene, so when you come back the next time you're in the middle of the action instead of facing the terrifying prospect of a blank scene. It can also help kindle your enthusiasm to write again--you'll be excited to find out how the scene ends, rather than feel that deadening sense of closure and the difficulty of overcoming the inertia of not writing.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
This isn't my first story (when I introduced myself in the newbie forum I was alarmed to find myself with over 15 complete first drafts) but it's my first large-scale actually planned second draft. When it comes to first drafts I'm a pantser to the bone, so to prepare for the second draft I did enough planning that I could have written a whole extra first draft.

Actually writing the second draft, it almost feels like I've lost my 'safety net'. In the first draft I was at liberty to introduce random fights, throw in a new character because I felt like it or add anything else I wanted. I've never gone as far as "Suddenly, ninjas", though, and it all more or less contributed to the plot in the end. Then for the second draft I have a plan for introducing all that stuff in the right order and making sure it all fits together. It should all work, but I've already had it fall apart once (so technically this is draft 2.1) and I'm worried that it's going to happen again. Maybe I've missed a massive plot hole that the whole story is going to be sucked into as soon as I start the next scene or something like that.

I'm sure it won't fall apart like that, but at the same time I'm also sure it will.

I like this idea of always stopping for the day mid-scene.

Thanks, everyone. Just knowing I'm not the only one who gets scared is helping.

Harmony

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I feel like this. Even seeing a blank screen fills me with terror. Then when I do manage to write something I'm pleased with, my fear is that the next day I will look at it and hate it.

From what I've read it's par the course. I'm trying to have more faith in myself but it's tough. Releasing pressure (i.e by not trying to get published and just writing for fun, if you have that option) can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.