PDA

View Full Version : Wreck-It-Ralph

Zoombie
11-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Loved it! You don't have to be a fan of video games to enjoy it - though that does help. The characters are well written and acted, the plot is actually pretty creative, and the jokes are vastly more hit than miss.

Also, Jane Lynch's character gets ALL the best lines.

So, yeah...

Go see it.

Nooooooooooooooooooow.

EDIT: Funnily enough, the cameo that made my friends laugh the most wasn't any of the video characters...it was someone who I had to have identified by my friend.

It was Skrillix.

Kitty Pryde
11-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Agree! GREAT movie. Tons of adult humor and enough slapstick and action to keep the most ADD of small children engrossed. The writing and voice acting is so strong. The cameos are hilarious--they even had Beard Papa, of all the sugary food mascots they could have used.

It's also a great plot that plays with tropes, subverted tropes, genre savvy, medium savvy, defying archetype, etc. basically a TVTroper's dream come true. From a kid POV, the plot is really simple: if he can get a medal, his coworkers will like him. from an adult perspective, there's a lot more going on, with will vs destiny, changing who you are, rewriting reality, sacrifice, social status, etc. And it had a really masculine woman fall in love with a really feminine man, which you almost never see in any mainstream media, so good on them. And it had Mentos in Coke!

J.S.F.
11-04-2012, 02:30 AM
I enjoyed it. The group therapy session was a standout. Very funny and well worth buying when the DVD comes out.

And Jane Lynch DOES get the best lines!

GiantRampagingPencil
11-04-2012, 04:26 AM
Just got back from the theatre. It was really, really good. A tad maudlin at the end, but great.

Sol Quince
11-04-2012, 04:35 AM
I just want to see it because of sonic the hedgehog..
How big is his role in the movie?

Kitty Pryde
11-04-2012, 04:44 AM
I just want to see it because of sonic the hedgehog..
How big is his role in the movie?

He does a PSA video in the video game train station, and that's about it. His villain, Doctor Whoever, is in a few scenes but IIRC doesn't have any lines. But there are many non-Sonic reasons to see the movie!

There was only one other nerd in the theater when I went to see it, and he happened to be sitting right in front of me. We were both cackling like loons at a lot of the nerdy humor when the rest of the theater was silent. Everyone else probably wondered what we were smoking (and if we would share)!

Sol Quince
11-04-2012, 05:09 AM
He does a PSA video in the video game train station, and that's about it. His villain, Doctor Whoever, is in a few scenes but IIRC doesn't have any lines. But there are many non-Sonic reasons to see the movie!

There was only one other nerd in the theater when I went to see it, and he happened to be sitting right in front of me. We were both cackling like loons at a lot of the nerdy humor when the rest of the theater was silent. Everyone else probably wondered what we were smoking (and if we would share)!

tehe, well I still want to see the movie :)

Zoombie
11-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Doctor Whoever

Robotnic :D

MttStrn
11-04-2012, 10:25 AM
When the one dude uses the Konami Code to open the one door, I almost lost it.

Sol Quince
11-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Robotnic :D

Eggman? Does he not go by Doctor Eggman in the movie?

Zoombie
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I'll be buried in the cold cold ground before you EVER get me to call Robotnic Eggman.

calieber
11-05-2012, 10:44 PM
I enjoyed it. The group therapy session was a standout. Very funny and well worth buying when the DVD comes out.

I'm going to have to get the DVD just to catch all the background bits.