How long before a follow-up

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
An agent responded to my query by asking for 25 pages and a detailed synopsis which I sent and was received about 10 days ago.

So how long should I wait to hear back before sending a follow-up e-mail? The agent is not in NYC and was not affected by the storm so that is not an issue.

Richard Paolinelli

Sockpuppet
Banned
Richard Paolinelli Sock
Reaction score
Website
www.richardpaolinelli.com
There's no hard and fast rule. It will take as long as they need. It's best to just keep on writing and wait it out, and be thankful you at least got a response to your query. Many don't.

I am, on all counts above. I was just wondering if I should give it a couple of months or several months before sending a follow-up?

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As has already been suggested, don't nudge until three months have passed.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Was it a partial or is that a standard part of their submission process? If it's a partial, three months. If it's part of their submission process, it's a bit more complicated. I would see if they are a "no response = no" agency or a "please nudge if you haven't heard after x time" agency. Then follow those guidelines.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Yup, three months unless their site states otherwise. Some agencies say when it's okay to follow up, or what their typical turnaround is, on the submissions page. Twitter might give you a good idea on their timing, too. Quite a few agents tweet where they are as far as queries and subs ("finished everything pre-Oct 9. If you didn't hear back, nudge me" kind of thing).

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless otherwise informed by guidelines, two months is enough time to wait. This has been the standard for decades.

This isn't a full novel, and it should never take more than two months.