PDA

View Full Version : How long before a follow-up

Richard Paolinelli
11-02-2012, 10:04 PM
An agent responded to my query by asking for 25 pages and a detailed synopsis which I sent and was received about 10 days ago.

So how long should I wait to hear back before sending a follow-up e-mail? The agent is not in NYC and was not affected by the storm so that is not an issue.

thorjansen
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
There's no hard and fast rule. It will take as long as they need. It's best to just keep on writing and wait it out, and be thankful you at least got a response to your query. Many don't.

Cyia
11-02-2012, 10:12 PM
3 months, minimum, if there was no time mentioned by the agent.

Richard Paolinelli
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
There's no hard and fast rule. It will take as long as they need. It's best to just keep on writing and wait it out, and be thankful you at least got a response to your query. Many don't.

I am, on all counts above. I was just wondering if I should give it a couple of months or several months before sending a follow-up?

Old Hack
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
As has already been suggested, don't nudge until three months have passed.

mayqueen
11-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Was it a partial or is that a standard part of their submission process? If it's a partial, three months. If it's part of their submission process, it's a bit more complicated. I would see if they are a "no response = no" agency or a "please nudge if you haven't heard after x time" agency. Then follow those guidelines.

amschilling
11-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Yup, three months unless their site states otherwise. Some agencies say when it's okay to follow up, or what their typical turnaround is, on the submissions page. Twitter might give you a good idea on their timing, too. Quite a few agents tweet where they are as far as queries and subs ("finished everything pre-Oct 9. If you didn't hear back, nudge me" kind of thing).

Jamesaritchie
11-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Unless otherwise informed by guidelines, two months is enough time to wait. This has been the standard for decades.

This isn't a full novel, and it should never take more than two months.