Boardwalk Empire (TV show)

Scottish Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here watch Boardwalk Empire?

I think it a great show with some brilliant acting but there is just so much going on. So many sepearte story lines! It is getting a touch frustrating

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love it, but I'm glad I'm watching it with other people. That way I can pause it and ask, "Wait, who's that guy again?" and among us all, usually somebody knows his story.

Maryn, longtime Buscemi fan

drzimo

Registered
Reaction score
I love the show, but they'll go whole episodes ignoring a storyline. For instance, I love Van Alden's storyline and there was tons of him in this week's episode, which I loved. But last week he wasn't even in the episode.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. I love the acting.
Same here. Plus, you can't hardly ever predict what's going to happen next. The last couple of episodes, with Nucky on the run, were top-notch and about as good as story telling ever gets on television.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I love this show. Mr Crunchy and I watch it quite religiously, to the point where we find ourselves referencing it in daily life - sometimes Crunchy will start talking in third person like Remus, and sometimes Mr C will giggle like Mickey Doyle.

Oh, and Van Alden is known only as Ugly Face Man, since we kept forgetting his name.

At the moment, I'm more invested in Richard Harrow's storyline than much else. He's the only character (other than Eddie....oh, poor Eddie) that I actually like. Whereas the other characters are pretty much all dislikeable in some way or another, but you're interested in what happens to them nonetheless.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
Van Alden creeps me out.

Every once in a while Mr. Hip starts talking like him and calls me "Agent Bledsoe," and we have a giggle. And we like Mickey's laugh too. I LOVE Richard. His story breaks my heart.

We have to wait for each season to come out on dvd since we don't have HBO. We're finishing up the last 2 discs of Season 2 now.

LOVE this show. Since i write during this era, I'm constantly picking up little details they've included that i can either use or adapt in my own writing.

And bonus? Dennis Lehane, one of my favorite writers EVER is now working on the current season! :D

sharpyetblunt

Registered
Reaction score
I always find the dialogue exceptional. Great monologues. I don't mind the large cast of characters. Even if we only get a scene of Rothstein one week, it's usually a great scene.

MD.Cristian

Banned
Reaction score
The ''Richard Hower'' character played by Jack Huston is by far the most interesting,I only hope they would show more of him,just that last scene alone when he kills like 10 men in the brothel was beyond words.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
The ''Richard Hower'' character played by Jack Huston is by far the most interesting,I only hope they would show more of him,just that last scene alone when he kills like 10 men in the brothel was beyond words.

I adore him. How he manages to be both heartbreakingly sweet and coldly, efficiently brutal in the space of a few episodes is just magic. I hope this isn't the end for him and Julia Sagorsky, though. I'd dearly love to see Richard happy for once.

MikeCheck

Registered
Reaction score
It's the classic HBO show: great acting, extremely slow sometimes, lots to keep track of, and, most of all, highly addictive.

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I just started watching it this week. I just finished episode 5. Who would ever have imagined Steve Buscemi as a romantic lead? And it's believable! Of course, I also have a thing for Rumpelstiltskin on Once Upon a Time. Strange, seemingly-unlikable guys are just my type I guess hahaha.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Reviving this long dead thread just to comment that I finished the series last night. I thought the ending was one of the most satisfying series endings I've seen. Also, I had no clue who the young guy really was right up until he revealed himself! That's rare on tv.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
The END-END was satisfying, but it pissed me off that they skipped over Rothstein's murder, the St. Valentine's Day massacre, the big crash---

In my opinion, they could have done so much more with that time period than what they did at the very end. Steve Buscemi must have wanted to do something else, and they couldn't do everything they wanted to do before he left. To me, the time jump was too abrupt after all the other seasons were only a year apiece between them.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
I SO agree! In the after episode interviews Terrance Winter said he wanted to go out with the audience wanting more. But the SKIP between seasons 4 and 5 was way too big (and lacked any sort of precedent). (Part of the reason I think the whole Tommy boondoggle was so successful was that we--the audience--had never had to deal with a seven year gap before.) They easily could have squeezed at least two more seasons in between 4 and 5.

Maybe they figured without Richard and Owen no one would care! (<--S'a joke!)

Last edited: