PDA

View Full Version : Writer characters in TV/films

flowerburgers
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I was making these gifs today and decided I just needed to share them with you folks:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcuywix1bN1rdt7zbo1_250.gif http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcuywix1bN1rdt7zbo2_250.gif

Every writer has to be just a little bit in love with Diane Chambers, right? Runner-up to this scene is when she's reciting her poetry to a very bored Dick Cavett and asks him for advice.
Dick: Well, it needs a little more--
Diane: Ambiguity, tension, and paradox?!
Dick: Um, yes, exactly.
Diane: WELL, I think I've solved that with "Ephemera 2"... "The sky was gossamer..."

Oh, Diane. At least you try.

So... who are your favorite writer characters in TV/film?

DarkSongofErrin
11-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Nice work with the gifs!

Mort Rainey from secret window is an interesting one

Manuel Royal
11-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Good topic.

Have to admire Diane Chambers' enthusiasm, at least. How many of us could use the boost of that kind of oblivious self-confidence?

Probably my favorite writer characters on tv are the comedy writers on the show 30 Rock. Pathetic, socially arrested weirdos. Since they're also the creations of actual comedy writers, I imagine there are a lot of in-jokes. (And it makes me think of The Dick Van Dyke Show, from my childhood.)

measure_in_love
11-05-2012, 02:05 AM
^ I am OBSESSED with 30 Rock. Tina Fey is my hero.

Also: Basically any Woody Allen film. My personal favorite is the recent Midnight in Paris. It's so brilliant. For those of you who haven't seen it, it has so many 1920s writers who pop up when the main character (also a writer) time travels to the 1920s.

Shadow_Ferret
11-05-2012, 05:02 AM
The only one I can think of is Karl Kolchak.

Vito
11-27-2012, 06:44 AM
Donald Hollinger, Marlo Thomas's love interest on the 1960s TV sitcom "That Girl", was a writer for the fictional magazine "NewsView". (If you can't recall the show, the role of Donald was played by the late Ted Bessell). It's been a long time since I watched "That Girl", but I remember that several episodes focused on Donald's writing career.

And then there's "Newhart", Bob Newhart's 1980s sitcom. In this show, Bob played the character "Dick Loudon", an author of do-it-yourself books.

:Thumbs:

robeiae
11-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Tangentially, my favorite Diane scene was after she had taken ballet lessons from Madame Lihkova.

The gang is watching a tape of her dancing and Diane, unable to recognize her lack of talent, says:

"All my life I wanted to dance so badly!"

Norm replies, "Looks like you got your wish."

A cautionary tale of word choice for writers...

As to favorite writer characters...Richard Castle!

quickWit
11-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Diane Chambers: "Wouldn't it be a great thrill for you to run across a budding poetic genius?"

Dick Cavett: "Only if I were wearing cleats."

:D

Carry on.

itsmary
11-27-2012, 10:34 PM
I really enjoy watching 8 Simple Rules; Paul Hennessy (played by John Ritter), the patriarch of the family, is a sportswriter.

IAMWRITER
11-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Richard Castle.

I love Nathan Fillion. Don't judge me.

Pterofan
11-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Chuck Shirley on Supernatural. Proof that the writer is God.

lbender
11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Donald Hollinger, Marlo Thomas's love interest on the 1960s TV sitcom "That Girl", was a writer for the fictional magazine "NewsView". (If you can't recall the show, the role of Donald was played by the late Ted Bessell). It's been a long time since I watched "That Girl", but I remember that several episodes focused on Donald's writing career.

And then there's "Newhart", Bob Newhart's 1980s sitcom. In this show, Bob played the character "Dick Loudon", an author of do-it-yourself books.

:Thumbs:

I don't remember him being a writer, but I do remember that show as having the greatest ending to a tv series ever.

Richard Castle.

I love Nathan Fillion. Don't judge me.

I like the show a lot also. However, when I tried to read one of the novels they published as being written by 'Richard Castle', I couldn't get past page 10.

jvc
11-28-2012, 03:47 PM
I like the show a lot also. However, when I tried to read one of the novels they published as being written by 'Richard Castle', I couldn't get past page 10.
I did hear they actually published in real life the Nikki Heat novel Castle published in the television series, and wondered if it was any good. I guess this answers my question. :)

IAMWRITER
11-28-2012, 08:29 PM

I've read the first one and I loved it, mainly because I could just picture the TV characters not the book characters. As always it depends on your preference. I wonder who actually writes them though...

jvc
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I've read the first one and I loved it, mainly because I could just picture the TV characters not the book characters. As always it depends on your preference. I wonder who actually writes them though...
Richard Castle, of course. :D

Jess Haines
11-29-2012, 12:43 AM
The actress's name escapes me at the moment, but the woman who played the author in Stranger Than Fiction was quirky and amusing. Puts me in mind of a few people I knew who took themselves and their work far too seriously.

Bloo
11-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris (as someone above mentioned) is fantastic. Though technically not writers, the newswriters/reporters on Newsradio. Bob Newhart in "Newhart" and on "Bob" (he was a comic book writer)

Maze Runner
11-29-2012, 03:21 AM
Michael Douglas in Wonder Boys
Ray Milland in The Lost Weekend
Charlotte Rampling in The Swimming Pool

Beatlemaniac
12-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Jessica Fletcher (Angela Lansbury) in the TV show "Murder She Wrote". She's part of the reason I became a writer!
Of course, there's Joan Wilder (Kathleen Turner) in the film "Romancing the Stone". That opening bit in the movie...how many of us haven't looked like that once in our lives?

lcwrite
12-02-2012, 07:40 AM
On NCIS you have Agent McGee, a writer with a pen name.
There was Dave's World, based on Dave Barry
John Boy from the Waltons

Movies: Funny Farm (?, Chevy Chase)

Bloo
12-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I didn't see Bones on here! Sorry I've really been getting into Bones here lately as one of my housemates loves it, and while they don't make a huge deal about it, Dr. Temperance "Bones" Brennen is actually an author/writer