Poll Tax?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
So I voted today, by absentee ballot. Enclosed in the ballot paperwork was a big pink slip of paper stamped with this notice:

POSTAGE REQUIRED FOR RETURN: $1.30.

On the front of the envelope, where I've always seen "Postage Paid," etc. now appears "The Post Office will not deliver this without additional postage attached."

W.T.F?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything wrong with having the person voting pay the postage to send their ballot in, as long as there is also an option to drop it off at the election office. When I renew my car tags by mail I have to pay the postage and also have to pay the County Clerk's postage to send the sticker back (they charge $2.00 to stick it in an envelope and mail it).

I am wondering why they couldn't make it so it can be mailed in a normal business envelope (perhaps because of the length or thickness of the paper used, I would guess; but it seems like with a little effort they could make one that would work).

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
FVAP provides the following information:

When mailed from any U.S. post office, U.S. embassy or consulate, or APO/FPO mail facility, the hardcopy voter registration/absentee ballot form is postage-paid. In order to receive free postage, the online version of the form must be mailed in an envelope printed with our postage-paid envelope template. You may mail the completed form in an envelope with proper postage affixed. Ensure that your form is postmarked (see postmarking instructions below) and sent to arrive before your State's specific deadline. You must pay postage if the materials are mailed from a non-U.S. postal facility.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
So I voted today, by absentee ballot. Enclosed in the ballot paperwork was a big pink slip of paper stamped with this notice:

On the front of the envelope, where I've always seen "Postage Paid," etc. now appears "The Post Office will not deliver this without additional postage attached."

W.T.F?
Vote in person on Election Day, commie. Like a real American.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
FVAP provides the following information:
When mailed from any U.S. post office, U.S. embassy or consulate, or APO/FPO mail facility, the hardcopy voter registration/absentee ballot form is postage-paid. In order to receive free postage, the online version of the form must be mailed in an envelope printed with our postage-paid envelope template. You may mail the completed form in an envelope with proper postage affixed. Ensure that your form is postmarked (see postmarking instructions below) and sent to arrive before your State's specific deadline. You must pay postage if the materials are mailed from a non-U.S. postal facility.
I had the hardcopy version, and both the instructions and the return envelope noted it would not be delivered without additional postage. It will definitely be mailed from a U.S. postal facility. Apparently someone in the state of Florida has not read FVAP FAQ.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Dammit, I knew I missed something on those fake absentee ballots I sent out. It's getting harder and harder to suppress a vote these days!

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
eh, i didn't think twice about tossing two first class forever stamps on my ballot and getting it out. Vote tax or not, it's vitally important to vote.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. My AZ mail-in ballot was forwarded to me with the return envelope postage-paid, and said so very clearly on the front.
To be fair, that's been the case for Florida, at least since 2007 when I went on the road. This is the first time I've been required to pay any postage.

I didn't faint, Richard. I figured you'd see the principle behind the relatively innocuous act.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got family and friends who mistrust the absentee ballot.

So depressing. So sad. :(

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting where I mistrust ANY ballott counted by ANYONE ANYWHERE (Especially Minnesota) and only slightly more mistrusting of what will replace it one of these days. :)

Vaulted

Must try harder.
Registered
Reaction score

What kind of envelope is this? Seems a lot to pay to mail a standard business envelope (50c down here).

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of envelope is this? Seems a lot to pay to mail a standard business envelope (50c down here).
Oh, it's definitely over-sized and has two pages of very-thick, almost cardboard forms in it. It came in an even more over-sized envelope with a few other bits of paper explaining this and that, including the pink postage announcement, printed on its own sheet of paper as well. Just the return package weighed 50 grams. It's almost as if whoever designed it didn't have to concern themselves with printing or distribution costs at all. :rolleyes:

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Personally, I think absentee ballots in all states should come with a postage pre-paid envelope, but this is what we get for not having a national standard for how elections are run.

In any event, considering that states attempting to impose voter suppression laws (and possibly succeeding) will end up charging voters a shit-ton more to exercise their civic right and duty, I'm having a hard time worrying about the cost of a couple of postage stamps. (Massachusetts also requires the long distance voter to put a stamp on the envelope.)

My suggestion would be this: Let's all vote for people who (a) actually believe in democracy and (b) actually believe the US is one nation, indivisible, and then when they take over Congress, make them pass legislation to standardize, streamline and eliminate pay-to-play costs in our elections.

calieber

Couth barbarian
Registered
Reaction score
eh, i didn't think twice about tossing two first class forever stamps on my ballot and getting it out. Vote tax or not, it's vitally important to vote.

True as far as it goes, but as a basic principle of democracy it shouldn't be something one has to directly pay for. Precisely because it is so important.

Melanie Dawn

Gypsy, wasted from the hips down.
Registered
Reaction score
True as far as it goes, but as a basic principle of democracy it shouldn't be something one has to directly pay for. Precisely because it is so important.

i get what you're saying, but this and payments to my therapist are the only time i mail anything, i have had a book of FCF stamps sitting under my monitor for almost a year... so ya. Not a huge expense.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

In Oregon we don't have election day voting places. It's all mail-in or drop-off ballots. I always drop ours off at the library.

I just looked inside my envelope to check the mail-back envelope: postage required, but it doesn't say how much. So I guess I could take it to the post office to weigh, or just stick a bunch of stamps on it and hope it makes it.

I usually miss the mail-in cut off date, so I slide ours into the Official Plastic Ballot Box at the library front desk.

I kinda miss going to the polls, as I have in other states. I liked seeing the people lined up to vote.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Is it? To vote in a broken, corrupt system is to endorse it's evil; to condone and consent the destruction of our republic and the further establisment of plutocratic corpotyranny in its place.

I voted for Obama last time. Then he decided to throw out the Constitution and become judge, jury, and executioner without oversight, by executive decree. People died. Some innocent. I helped kill them by voting for Obama. Not again.