A Career Day Lesson in Obedience

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police," Cop Says Before Tasering Little Boy

During career day, Officer Webb apparently decided he deserved some payola for his appearance.
"Defendant Webb asked the boy, R.D., in a group of boys, who would like to clean his patrol unit," the complaint states. "A number of boys said that they would. R.D., joking, said that he did not want to clean the patrol unit.

"Defendant Webb responded by pointing his Taser at R.D. and saying, 'Let me show you what happens to people who do not listen to the police.'"

Webb then shot "two barbs into R.D.'s chest," the complaint states.

"Both barbs penetrated the boy's shirt, causing the device to deliver 50,000 volts into the boy's body.
The boy was 10 years old and weighed less than 100 pounds. He blacked out when he was tazed. The officer yanked the barbs out and took the boy to the principle's office.
Salon reports that Webb "claims he accidentally discharged the Taser" and "was given only a three-day suspension."

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
In what delsuional world is pointing a weapon at a child (whether or not it "accidentally" goes off) considered a "joke?"

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm speechless. My husband would kill the man.

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Saw this on FB yesterday. Pointing a weapon at someone when it isn't necessary should be grounds for immediate disciplinary action. Discharing that weapon unecessarily should be grounds for immediate removal.

This guy is very lucky to have his job, and to not have met the mom or dad of the kid in a dark alley somewhere.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't it one of the first things you learn? To NEVER point the gun at anyone? Even when it's NOT loaded? We got our daughter a BB gun (she's an awesome shot, BTW), and that was the very first thing we taught her.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can't you get sued for this kind of reckless behavior?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The lightest punishment I could think I for him would be a few months suspension without pay.

If it were my call, this guy would never carry a badge again. That's of course after I had him surrounded in the school playground by dozens of ten year olds armed with tasers.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
He belongs in jail, not merely dismissal.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Assuming we believe it was accidental, the boy could have been killed. That age, that size? Not to mention, I guess the boy should be grateful he didn't point his actual gun at him, and then accidentally fire.

3 days? Way too little.

On the other hand, the teacher in that school can now claim that any kid who doesn't do their homework will be sent to this cops house to do yard work.

Was that evil of me?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Assuming we believe it was accidental, the boy could have been killed. That age, that size? Not to mention, I guess the boy should be grateful he didn't point his actual gun at him, and then accidentally fire.

3 days? Way too little.

On the other hand, the teacher in that school can now claim that any kid who doesn't do their homework will be sent to this cops house to do yard work.

Was that evil of me?

Evil? Nah, teachers like parents need all the ammunition they can get.

Taser guns, I've not had hands on experience, but is it not incredible that one would be discharged by accident, twice?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Yeah, I believe you need two points - on for the current to enter and one for it to exit - so a taser fires two barbs. I'm not sure how standing on the ground calculates into this though. I'm no electrician.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
It's not twice. i believe it is a pull the trigger once and both wires fire event.

Oh, I see. 'Course, the question remains, Why point a taser at a ten year old in the first place? If it were indeed an accident, i begin to feel bad for the cop. Still reckless, careless.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
On top of everything else, he took him to the principle's office instead of immediately calling an ambulance...
Because he knew he fucked up, and didn't want to explain to the 911 dispatcher how a 10-year-old managed to get tazed. A cop who can't take responsibility shouldn't be allowed on the force.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Can't you get sued for this kind of reckless behavior?
Yes, but remember that a policeman is a government employee. When you sue a government employee, the trial is held at a government-owned court with the bailiff and judge also being other government employees. It seems like an uphill battle. At least one can demand a jury trial, with jury members taken randomly (at least before attorneys' interviews and selection) from the population.

With so much extra power in their favor, it would seem that government employees should be held to a higher standard of conduct than an average citizen.

Don, Zoombie, any comment on this?
Yeah, I believe you need two points - on for the current to enter and one for it to exit - so a taser fires two barbs. I'm not sure how standing on the ground calculates into this though. I'm no electrician.
Correct, and with a shot in the chest I imagine it could very well stop the heart beating. That's NOT where you want any electrical current to go. I wonder if there are instructions for Tasers that say don't aim at the chest (which is the exact opposite of what standard police training says).

Without both contacts in the Taser's "bullet," the electricity would have to flow from the victim through their feet into the ground, into the shooter's feet and back to the hand of the shooter. Either one wearing shoes, or a very dry ground, would be enough insulation to substantially reduce the electric shock.
Not me. He pointed a weapon at someone. That's kind of a "101" lesson.
I suppose he DID follow the rule that says "Don't point a weapon at someone unless you're prepared to shoot them."

Of course, why he wanted to Taser a 10 year old is a very pertinent question.