Status
Not open for further replies.

teacher

Still weary, still wandering
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexthomasmahon.wordpress.com
Often on the thread people comment that the main character (MC) has to be likeable.

I totally disagree.

Clockwork Orange and American Psyco featured very disagreeable MCs. In fact, I wanted to beat the crap out of them.

I don't need to like an MC. In fact, I find unlikeable MCs far more interesting, fascinating and entertaining than their do-goody counterparts. Unikeable MCs do those deeds that lurk in our subconscious like murder, aggression, theft.

A goody-two-shoes character on the other hand can be boring, no matter how many damsels in distress or children they save.

In films, I thought Kevin Costner's do-goodey character in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves was so boring. Apparently, Costner cut out scenes that showed Alan Rickman (The Sheriff of Nottingham) as he stole the show.

When I read a do-goody MC I secretly want to find out there's a skeleton in their closet, something saucy or evil like the timid old lady with a basement load of corpses. And that's another point. I don't mind a do-goodey MC turning out to be unlikeable. I don't feel cheated. Nothing wrong in finding out that person you so respected turned to be bad after all.

It happens in real life.

I wonder if the term likeable gets mixed up with interesting or fascinating. Either way, let me keep reading your unlikeable MCs or likeable MCs with skeletons in their closets.

Keep writing folks!

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
ummm...did you look at the thread just a few below this?
and you'll see that lots of people agree with you.

But when people say "likeable" I don't think they're arguing for Mary Sues or Gary Stus. I'm sure not.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
A recent rejection from a small publisher (who is publishing another of my novels) stated that nothing about my MC makes the reader care about him. (Not the character in my blog article.) There's more to it than that, but the caring point was prominent in the editor's critique.

Last edited:

teacher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi Al

When I read a book I don't need to care about the character. I never cared about the two MCs I mentioned earlier.

I never noticed your post further down thread - sorry.

LJD - I know they're not arguing for Mary Sues, but they don't have to be likeable. A lot of times nasty MCs aren't likeable, but still make great reading.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
There are already a lot of threads on this, so I'll just go for the short version of my opinion:

I don't have to like the protagonist as the sort of person I want to hang out with in real life, but I have to enjoy reading about them. When someone says a character isn't "likable", quite often they mean they didn't like reading about them, and don't mean it as a referendum on whether or not they want to be buddies with that character.

teacher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I also like reading the MCs story, regardless of their likeability. In American Psycho the MC is just so horrible, yet fascinating.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Guess I'm the out liner. IMO, if you don't at least respect your MC, how can the reader. Stories like "Naked Lunch" may drew attention from some like a train wreck (hated the MC) but I have to relate to the struggle, turmoil, and POV of both the hero and heroine, otherwise how can I create a fiction world that the reader wants to drop into. I'm sure many will disagree, but I do relate to all my MC even when they are a female.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Likable is the spin word here.

Likable to me means: A character that I'm interested in and would keep with.
Not that he can't be a serial killer who thinks the world's people are meat and he's designed to be hated--that might be interesting, so he's likable. You wouldn't like him in real life, but in a story, you would.

An unlikable character, is someone who just doesn't connect with the reader, or cannot shows their colors in a way that the reader finds them interesting.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the term likeable gets mixed up with interesting or fascinating.

Well, yeah. I'm not going to like a bland, boring MC. I don't think you can totally separate likable from interesting.

I also think you'd be hard-pressed to define "likable" in a manner that applies universally as opposed to subjectively. A character that I like may be someone you hate. So I don't quite understand these questions about whether a character needs to be likable or not because I don't know what "likable" means to the OP.

MCs need to be interesting to the extent that I care. :D

teacher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's true, buzhidao. I think iikeable is subjective. I originally asked the question because I saw the comment appear in crits of other posters and the definition was definitely likeable as in a nice person, although others I think really meant 'identify with.'

I've read a few stories with bland characters but how they get from A to B in the story and the events surrounding them make the story really interesting.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
I wonder if the term likeable gets mixed up with interesting or fascinating. Either way, let me keep reading your unlikeable MCs or likeable MCs with skeletons in their closets.

One of the recurrent comments from betas relative to my latest novel was that my mc wasn't likeable enough. Readers told me, Give us something, some shred of decency or humanity in this guy, something to grab hold of that'll make us stick with him for the next 50 chapters.

So I did. Kind of. My feeling was, the guy's a real shit at the beginning. By the end, he's changed. Not completely, but he has. I wanted to stay true to the character. Having said that, I also knew there had to be some validity to what those readers were telling me: as written, my mc was so unlikeable as to be abhorrent, which was a turn-off.

A writer must find that delicate balance when crafting an unlikeable character. One must be cognizant of the reader: what will compel the reader to go along for the ride? Either the mc is going to be utterly and horrifyingly horrible, his abhorrent actions are going to escalate, he may or may not get away with it, OR, the mc is a shit or a fuck-up but not entirely so, there's a shred of humanity there and by God, by the end of the book the guy's gonna be redeemed, or die trying.

Stick around, reader. You'll see.

Last edited:

teacher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Shreds of decency can take many forms, like being kind to a pet, while keeping grandma chopped up and locked in the fridge.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Like, no. Empathize with, yes. A main character can be totally unlikable, but if readers can't empathize, can't say to themselves that in his position and circumstances they might be the same way, it probably won't fly.

teacher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Empathy is okay if you find yourself hating or liking the same things as the MC, no matter how horrible they are.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A likeable MC is the easiest option if you want readers to enjoy your book. If you feel you can do without it, go for it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Likeability is completely irrelevant. Whether or not I like a character has no bearing on the quality of a story or how much I enjoy it. I want interesting characters with quirks and flaws. Perfect is boring. Always. And sometimes "likeable" is the same as perfect.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Is that "you" the generic you or You there, Sqrl? I can only answer for myself :).

I'm not sure I need the central character to be easily likeable, but if I don't care about them to some extent, why am I even reading the book? Nothing that happens to someone in whom I have zero emotional investment matters to me at all. I can't root for them to achieve their goal if it makes no difference to me whether they do or not. Or if I actively dislike them, and don't want them to win--like Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights. I can hardly read the second half of that book where he just seems to be winning and winning.

There's nothing particularly likeable about The Man in McCarthy's The Road. He's not even a very fleshed-out character. But I cared a great deal that he and his son should be safe. I cared because The Man cared and because the thought of them being killed and eaten was so horrible.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And it depends on what you write. A genre-romance with two characters who are completely unlikeable throughout would be challenging to sell, I should think.

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have to like a main but I do have to enjoy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.