How common do you think this expression is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I am just finishing my Erma Bombeck entry and I have 2 possible tag lines. My tale is about an encounter with a bear and I thought it would round it off nicely if I could say to the effect, that the experience wasn't all negative - "thanks to the rather large souvenir he left on my step I now have the definitive answer to that age old question about bears, the woods and their bathroom habits."

So my question, is "do bears sh!t in the woods" (like "is the Pope Catholic") familiar to people or is it just a local expression and therefore renders my tag incomprehensible to the majority of people.

Thanks.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
kikazaru said:
I am just finishing my Erma Bombeck entry and I have 2 possible tag lines. My tale is about an encounter with a bear and I thought it would round it off nicely if I could say to the effect, that the experience wasn't all negative - "thanks to the rather large souvenir he left on my step I now have the definitive answer to that age old question about bears, the woods and their bathroom habits."

So my question, is "do bears sh!t in the woods" (like "is the Pope Catholic") familiar to people or is it just a local expression and therefore renders my tag incomprehensible to the majority of people.

Thanks.

Speaking, I think, for all of us in Michigan, it works for us.
biggrin.gif
Not local.

Best of luck.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
It works very well for us in NW Ontario too! The reason I ask is that I read it to a friend (born and bred here) and she had no idea what I was referring to.

Thanks, I will ponder it some more - I like my other tag as well, but this one seemed slightly neater.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The expression about what bears do in the woods is famous out here in Australia, too.

Mac.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mac!

I'm still thinking about it. I've tweaked the tale so much I have no idea if it's even the least bit amusing anymore.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I can say that it's common both in Wyoming and California, and Reader's Digest too, KWIM?
Good luck with the Bombeck competition!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm leaning toward it I think.

PS What's KWIM?

electric.avenue

Registered
Reaction score
Seconded

steadymarvin said:
The expression is well known in the UK too.

I can second that. If I remember correctly, didn't Steve Bell use it in one of his cartoons a few years ago? I think the character portrayed saying it was American however.

Status
Not open for further replies.