Selling a US book through a UK agent?

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm an American based in London. My novel (chick lit/contemporary women's fiction) has an American MC but takes place in several European countries, including the UK. I think it will probably appeal mainly to US readers.

Should I or should I not submit to UK agents? I've had conflicting advice.

Many thanks in advance.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Try them. What's the worse they can do?

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
True. At least the one I have an intro for. Who knows - maybe he'll have some advice.

I'd still welcome input on whether it's worth researching and specifically targeting UK agents for a novel about a US MC for a US audience. (A published author in a similar position to mine told me "they all work internationally these days," but I also asked one UK agent who said not to bother.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It's always easiest to have an agent who lives in the same country that you do.

Your agent will define the home territory for your books, though, so if you prefer to be published first in the US you might want to find yourself a US agent.

Agents do of course sell foreign rights, and will either do that themselves or will work with coagents in other countries: but if you feel that your book is going to have more chance in America than in the UK you might well be wise to find a US agent, not a UK one.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Pay attention to what Old Hack says about home vs foreign territories when you consider an agent. UK agents will sell UK rights as domestic and US rights as foreign, which will impact the percentages paid out from your advance and royalties.

Having said that, with the internet and email, it's no real hardship to be a US author with a UK agent, nor do UK agents have a bias against non-domestic clients.

Either way - good luck with your submission. (But don't call it chick lit. That's a well-beaten dead horse.)

Transatlantic

Should be writing!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. That's the kind of thing I wanted to know.

Now, crossing all digits as I fling myself into the querying process.