Christian Speakers? Teachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
I was wondering how many on this list suplement their writing with speaking and/or teaching?

I speak regularly on topics releated to chocolate and coffee (subjects of my two books). They are a natural spring board for ladies retreats, Christmas banquets, and a ton of other events. With Valentine's Day coming up again, I regret to say I haven't promoted myself as I should have.

What sort of things do you all write that lend themselves to speaking?

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done enough writing yet, but I'm sure that in the future I'll be able to chime in.

I'm a full-time teacher right now.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
I am doing quite a bit of speaking. I have three requests from writing groups in the next couple of months. I've already done several of these - but some of them pertained to my newspaper column. The new one are all centered around my books.

Nancy

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
CLASS

If anyone wants to increase their speaking skills you might consider CLASS Services. http://classservices.com/ They are a great organization and they are the speaking arm of the Glorieta Christian Writers Conference that Gravity mentioned. Even if you don't have a lot of writing published, you can begin speaking on topics that will support your writing down the road. A great plus for a publisher is knowing that an author can promote their books through an already established speaking platform.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I speak when asked--but it's not my fave thing to do. I give workshops in person and online on topics such as Small-press/epublishing and How to Earn Money Between Books.

The last few conferences I spoke at were the Maryland Writer's Assoc annual conf., the New Jersey Romance Writer's annual conf (part of RWA) and a Christian writing workshop organized by Lisa Crayton.

Sometimes I arrange group book signings and we all answer questions, but those usually are concerned with whatever books we are signing that day.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Idumont,

I do speak to supplement my work...I believe the speaking and writing go hand in hand and both supplement each other. I have not done much speaking lately to do a plethora of negetive events in my personal life, but am starting to "get into the swing of things."

KP99

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So far, I've done presentations about using the Internet in your writing career, breaking into reviewing, goal-setting, writing poetry, using picture books in the classroom (I'm also a school librarian....), and how teachers can get their ideas published (we ran out of seats at that one!) I've spoken at a local writer's seminar, the writer's group I'm VP for, a teacher/librarian conference, a young writer's workshop at our local high school, and an annual book and readers conference. I got paid for most of them, (although not much), got some positive exposure, and made some great contacts along the way.

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I am "gearing up" to speek more frequently. I joined Toastmasters and am growing as a speaker with each passing week. My writing is nonfiction and I want to be prepared to speak on the topics I write.

I would love to hear more about how you land speaking opportunities. So far, my speaking has been limited to Toastmasters and Teaching Women's Bible studies (for large groups, about 200 women). I have not yet had an opportunity to speak at a conference or retreat.

Great thread topic, btw!

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started out by speaking for free at smaller local meetings and seminars on topics I was familiar with. Gradually, I came to the attention of conference leaders who then asked me to speak. Several opportunities came through volunteering myself as a speaker to a conference I had attended a number of times and was therefore familiar with what they were looking for, style of presentation, length, etc. Sometimes, conferences hand out comment cards for conferees to fill out. There is usually a place to make suggestions for speakers/topics for next year. Why not suggest yourself and a favorite topic? The worst they can do is probably shudder and toss your card in the trash, and you'll never know if they do, cuz you won't be there! <grin>

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
One possiblity I will be following through on is teaching adult education (night school) classes on the subject of my non-fiction book.

Just a thought,
Chac

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Great Idea

I really like the idea of teaching classes on the subject of your book. I am working on a nonfiction book that would be great as an adult education class. I could even teach classes at a local hospital on my topic...

The wheels are turning,

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now, I'm not doing much speaking or teaching. I'm juggling jobs, deadlines, kids' needs, husband traveling a lot, college classes, a dance class, and various stuff at church I'm involved in. If I end the day without dropping something on my foot, I'm happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.