I feel it, I know it, THE TIME IS NOW!

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
Enough sitting on my ass, working 2 seasonal jobs for most of the year and collecting unemployment in between! I'm 29 now and have been waiting on traditional publication for the better part of a decade! From this day forth I resolve to devote 35+ hours a week to building my fanbase and being a successful writer, even if it means self-publication (don't kill me mods)! And if I end up in a homeless shelter at the end of it all, so be it!

If I survive the hurricane (as I'm currently sitting pretty at home in Coney Island against the mayor's orders), that is.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, no bad-mouthing the mods! ;) They/we aren't opposed to self-publishing on the whole, just want every author to make this decision only after being fully-informed.

If you can make a go of it, that's fantastic, and we put in our request early for you to teach us how to do it, too.

Maryn, fingers crossed for your success

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, no bad-mouthing the mods! ;) They/we aren't opposed to self-publishing on the whole, just want every author to make this decision only after being fully-informed...
He must be referring to Old Hack. Everyone knows how much she despises self publishing and goes out of her way to degrade the practice.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing like staring at the razor teeth of a storm to get people motivated..

MorganMarshall

I keep my head firmly in the clouds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gutsandglorybooks.com
Good luck! I mean that. I have one series self-published, but only because I know it's not marketable and I wrote it for my kids. That said, depending on your genre and age group and whatnot, it's entirely possible to be totally successful! (I write MG fiction... not so much for me!)

I feel ya about the letting go. I quit my job because I was tired of giving my all to someone else's dream. I'm now in grad school studying writing and literature. I have NO idea where this will lead me, but at least I'm following my dream!

Way to go, following yours.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the negativity surrounding self publishing. Artists hold their own art shows, build their own websites to feature their art, actors promote their own plays in local theaters, post video to showcase their stage talent, etc. The only reason Dane Cook got as famous as he did, was because he was one of the first comedians to use things like Facebook, etc, to promote himself.

Why are writers scolded by so many (in and out of "the business") for trying to self publish? I don't get it.

I say, go for it glutton. I may just go that route myself one day.

glutton

Banned
Reaction score
I have survived the hurricane, time to self promote! lol

Anyway yeah I think my style (over the top fast paced pulp-type action) is not that traditional publisher-friendly or at least not something they want to take a chance on, so why keep wasting time waiting? Hoping to get my first book out on Amazon within a couple months if nothing goes wrong...