PDA

View Full Version : Another stabbing type question

KyraDune
10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Is it possible to throw a dagger with enough force to pierce through a person's chest into their heart? This would be from a very close distance, about five feet. The killer is a trained assassin. He's a grown man and fairly strong. The victim is also a man, a bit on the thin side, and he's naked.

espresso5
10-30-2012, 06:13 AM
It's possible. I don't know how probable it would be, but it's possible.

Drachen Jager
10-30-2012, 08:50 AM
If the thrower is strong and skilled it's not a problem. A knife might be iffy, but a decently weighted dagger should be able to pierce ribs if it's thrown hard enough.

KyraDune
10-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Thanks.

Bufty
10-30-2012, 06:00 PM
Five feet is pretty near close enough to shove it in. :snoopy:

StormChord
10-31-2012, 02:05 AM
It's definitely possible to throw a dagger with enough precision to pierce the chest, but the force required to actually get through the ribs would be non-trivial. Even nicking the ribs could slow it down enough to minimize the damage.

benbenberi
10-31-2012, 05:46 AM
The big challenge of the scenario is probably not the force per se, but the force combined with perfect aim. The heart is quite well-protected by the ribcage -- even if you're stabbing someone face to face, it takes a fair amount of precision or luck, as well as force, to actually nail the heart in one go. The least bit off in any direction and your blade is bumping against bones and may slide away from the target or bounce off altogether. If you're face to face, the killer may be able to try again if necessary -- with a thrown blade, the likelihood of a miss (or at least a not-through-the-heart hit) is much greater, and there's no second chance.

fdesrochers
11-01-2012, 05:40 PM
I think the question boils down to not "if" but plausibility. I'd have a very hard time believing anyone with intent to throw a knife into the chest of an opponent, even one five feet away, would be able to angle the throw with enough precision to get it in the heart. Even if that person was James Bond, and they've made him do some truly stupid-unrealistic things (I'm not talking about the whole Moonraker thing or anything Pierce Brosnan did either).

Depending on what you want to accomplish, by who and against whom, a thrown knife into the chest/midsection would likely accomplish must the same: anything from incapacitate to kill.