PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Atlas

Zoombie
10-28-2012, 05:56 AM
A profoundly effective, experimental as all hell movie filled with actors working their asses off to expand their range...and it's an intensely problematic film and I can understand completely why some people would never want to watch it.

The basic idea is that the movie is about 6 stories which are intercut and spliced together, with connections through theme, music, incidental details...and actors. Hence why there is a black actress playing a white woman and a white actor playing a Korean man and men playing women and women playing men.

Now...the reason why I am uncomfortable about this is, well...

Hollywood and its relationship to Asian actors is similar to the relationship between a cripple and the bus he has been thrown in-front of. It has gotten better, but there remains a worrying and consistent sidelining of actors of the..."non-white" persuasion.

I was able to get beyond this issue because A) as I've said, the movie has non-white actors playing white people, just as it has females playing males and males playing females and B) A big theme of the film is the interconnection of human lives and how semi-artificial constructs of gender, sexuality and so on are meaningless differentiations between one another when, at the end of the day, we's all peeps.

Plus, the movie is ASTOUNDINGLY well acted, with great special effects and a fantastic editor who makes this almost 3 hour long movie clip by at a fast, unbroken pace.

Also, it has Kieth Davis!

EVERYONE LOVES KIETH DAVIS!

K. Taylor
10-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Yes, at least the main actors were playing 6 roles apiece (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371111/). They've all said they'd be sitting in the make-up chair and have no idea who they were sitting next to until they spoke.

Zoombie
10-28-2012, 07:40 PM
It was easily the best horror action adventure post-apocalyptic high fantasy conspiracy sci-fi thriller drama romance comedy I'd ever seen!

BenPanced
10-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Somebody I know in Los Angeles said the best part of the movie was he was in an air conditioned theater for a few hours.

Zoombie
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I enjoyed it, but I can understand why other people wouldn't like it.

Katrina S. Forest
10-28-2012, 09:10 PM
I had to admire the movie for attempting something this massive.

The make-up was... a real distraction for me. The whole idea of putting the actors in so many different roles hurt more than helped. Some crossover from the different plots would've been fine, but I think they overdid it. Instead of connecting to the characters in a serious moment, I'd be still trying to get over the fact that one actor just didn't look right.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Since seeing the trailer, I'm more interested in reading the book it's based on. The visuals are probably kick-ass on the big screen though.

archerjoe
10-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Since seeing the trailer, I'm more interested in reading the book it's based on. The visuals are probably kick-ass on the big screen though.

The book is great. Haven't seen the movie yet. Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green are great examples of David Mitchell's wonderful writing.

Mr. Anonymous
10-29-2012, 01:27 AM
I have a feeling this will be like Tree of Life and The Fountain and such. Flawed but massively ambitious. I hope it does well.

Walter White
10-29-2012, 08:35 AM
The artful way the trailer depicted the movie as being shot perked my interest. Rottentomatoes however did not seem kind post-release. I may just wait to redbox.

J.S.F.
10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
My thoughts, of which there were precious and few, are as follows.

Tom Hanks is good in anything--except The DaVinci Code. Yeah, I hated that flick with a passion.

Halle Berry got her groove back. Loved her in Monster's Ball, her other flicks...so so, as she was relying on her boobage as opposed to her acting ability. But here, she was just fine.

Flick was too long and appeared rather pretentious at times. Earnest acting or over-acting? You pays your money...

Generally speaking, though, it was well acted.

I also got a little miffed at the actors playing various racial roles but okay. Shit, I got slammed for suggesting an Asian actor actually be cast in an Asian role for Ironman 3 but here, for this flick, it seems okay...whatever. It got a bit confusing but not overly so.

Ultimately, the message is clear even though the movie could be seen by some as very convoluted. Out of five stars, I'd give it a 3.5 to 4 rating.

Thank yuh, thank yuh verra much. I'll be here all week. Serve the veal.:)

LJD
10-30-2012, 06:12 PM
So is it important that you are able to identify the same actor in multiple get-ups? I ask because I am so horrible with faces that I think I'm faceblind, and movies sometimes cause me problems. If this movie relies on me being able to make such identifications, there's probably no point in me watching it...

Zoombie
10-30-2012, 09:08 PM
It's a subtext to the overall themes but not actually important for the plots.

Plus, at the end of the movie, it shows who played who when with what faces, so if you're kind of faceblind, then you'll have their names and faces paired up at the end, which is pretty cool.

AshleyEpidemic
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
I really enjoyed the film. I was more so caught up in all the different genres that were being played with. The actors didn't really bother me too much. It definitely wasn't something that took away from the film. I think if they had cast different people for each of the different periods it would have been overwhelming and much of the point would have been forgotten and lost.

Melanie Dawn
10-31-2012, 04:15 AM
I need to get out and see this! I would do anything to support the lovely Lana Wachowski (and her brother and their friend) LOL

I think alot of what was done with actors playing different rolls, genders, races was in part due to Lana's transition, as she said in her speech to the HRC.

J.S.F.
10-31-2012, 08:11 AM
I need to get out and see this! I would do anything to support the lovely Lana Wachowski (and her brother and their friend) LOL

I think alot of what was done with actors playing different rolls, genders, races was in part due to Lana's transition, as she said in her speech to the HRC.

---

Great, another 'Vanity Fair' project.:)

Seriously, though, while the critics can carp all they want or praise it all they want, at the end of the day, ain't nothing gonna change the Wachowskis' minds. They made it, it's done, and was it worth it to watch? For me, no, but for others, maybe.

Melanie Dawn
10-31-2012, 11:57 PM
---

Great, another 'Vanity Fair' project.:)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but Lana said because of her transition she found it cathartic and easier to 'express" the cross gender roles.

Jcomp
11-01-2012, 06:00 AM
I'm curious to see how this does in the international markets. Domestically it opened to abysmal numbers for a $100 million budget and looks dead in the water, but the international market can easily turn it profitable if the whole race-bending / yellowface / other-face stuff doesn't keep people away.

Zoombie
11-01-2012, 12:07 PM
BUmmer...why is it movies I loved are tanking this year? First Dredd dies, now this!?

It's a tragedy.

J.S.F.
11-01-2012, 12:34 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but Lana said because of her transition she found it cathartic and easier to 'express" the cross gender roles.
---

What I mean is the Wachowski's tend to do films which get their viewpoint across and don't really care if the fans or critics like 'em or not. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it sort of rules out future success and dealings with the movers and shakers in Hollywood.

Personally, I could care less what Larry/Lana does with his/her life. It's his/her decision and if he/she's happy with it, then fine. My earlier post was not meant as a jab against those who are bisexual/transgender/gay, or anything else in between.

Jcomp
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
BUmmer...why is it movies I loved are tanking this year? First Dredd dies, now this!?

It's a tragedy.

I wasn't surprised that Dredd did so poorly over here. Hard R-rated sci-fi comic book story featuring a character with hardly any significant following stateside doesn't lend itself well to a big box office. I was surprised it did so poorly in the UK. Only $6 million there total. By comparison, Skyfall has already done $32 million in its first week. It sucks for Dredd - I had hoped to see some sequels, but it looks like that's dead.

Cloud Atlas had the somewhat similar hurdles as Dredd. R-rated sci-fi novel adaptation from a book that, while well-regarded, isn't easily translated to film and doesn't come with a massive built-in fanbase. Couple that with the race-bending controversies, a pretty lackluster ad campaign, and a release date that finds it sandwiched between Halloween releases and more reliable / higher profile box office draws upcoming (Flight, Skyfall, hell, even Lincoln potentially), and the movie had very little chance to make an impact unless it got consistently positive reviews and consistently positive audience feedback to generate a good word of mouth. It definitley didn't get the former, and appears to be lacking the latter.

On the bright side, as far as movies you loved, I seem to recall you really enjoying Looper, and it's already grossed over 400% of its budget between domestic and overseas money, and it still hasn't even hit a couple of significant overseas markets like France and Japan yet. Based on its expectations, it's having a terrific run at the box office.

Melanie Dawn
11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
---

What I mean is the Wachowski's tend to do films which get their viewpoint across and don't really care if the fans or critics like 'em or not. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it sort of rules out future success and dealings with the movers and shakers in Hollywood.

Personally, I could care less what Larry/Lana does with his/her life. It's his/her decision and if he/she's happy with it, then fine. My earlier post was not meant as a jab against those who are bisexual/transgender/gay, or anything else in between.

Her transition is complete, no need to either or pronouns, and her legal name is Lana.

dirtsider
11-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I enjoyed it. At first the transitions between the different time periods made it a little hard for me to follow a bit but once I got used to it, it flowed pretty well.

killdeer
11-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I walked into the theater not knowing anything about the movie (friends asked me to see it with them), and watched the whole thing without realizing that all the stars play multiple roles. So I guess my facial recognition is not the best!

I liked the movie a lot. It took me a while to get sucked in, because at first the cutting between all the stories was so choppy. After the opening scenes, we get a little longer to appreciate each plot before cutting away, and the stories start to echo each other more.

If all the different stories connected in the sense of the past plots determining the future ones, I mostly missed it. What connections I did spot didn't seem to matter much. So I just enjoyed it as six stories that echoed each other.

Dodge
11-06-2012, 06:29 AM
I have a feeling this will be like Tree of Life and The Fountain and such. Flawed but massively ambitious. I hope it does well.

Totally agree in that I want to see this, bad. But I am concerned that it will be like the Tree of Life which I tired of quickly.

I may wait until it's on VOD.