Questions to ask an agent during critique session

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
Next week I'm sitting down with three different agents at a conference for a 10-minute-10-page critique session. Following advice on Ms. Shark's blog, I would like to bring a page with questions.

I just don't know what to ask. This is my first time. I'm so freaking nervous!

Here is what I have already:

-Does the voice come across well in the first ten pages?
-Do you feel like you are connecting with the main character on the first page?
-After finishing the first ten pages, do you feel like reading page #11?
-Does the premise strike you as fresh or overdone?
-What would be your #1 reason to reject or accept further request for this project?
-Do the first ten pages come across as polished?

any other ideas?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I would not ask the agents any of the questions you possed. Why?

Most of the questions you pose show insecurity and the agents want to have confidence that you know what you are doing. Let them tell you what worked for them and what did not, and then go from there...

But that is just my take. Good luck...

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
Next week I'm sitting down with three different agents at a conference for a 10-minute-10-page critique session. Following advice on Ms. Shark's blog, I would like to bring a page with questions.

You might want to have some questions ready, but in my experience, expect the agents to take the initiative. If they've already read your stuff, they'll have notes and advice, and just ten minutes to get it across. Don't be surprised if some of their advice may conflict, one with the other. Be ready to take notes.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

I just don't know what to ask. This is my first time. I'm so freaking nervous!

Here is what I have already:

-Does the voice come across well in the first ten pages?
-Do you feel like you are connecting with the main character on the first page?
-After finishing the first ten pages, do you feel like reading page #11?
-Does the premise strike you as fresh or overdone?
-What would be your #1 reason to reject or accept further request for this project?
-Do the first ten pages come across as polished?

any other ideas?

Some or all of these may be (should be) answered in the course of the critique.

Of the entire list, the next to last strikes me as the one you want to ask, assuming that it didn't get covered during the agent's remarks.

theDolphin

Aquarius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrockwell.com
Hi Bukarella!

I think it's always good to be prepared, even if you don't end up needing the questions you bring. To that end, I think your list is a great start, and you can just check them off as they're covered, if they are. So good job!

The only other things I can think of to add to your list would be dependent on the kind of book you're writing, so it's harder without knowing anything about it. Do you have any questions about it that relate to its genre, or the style you're shooting for, that kind of thing? You don't necessarily need them, but that's something you may want to consider.

At any rate, good luck! Sounds like it will be a really exciting and informative day. I hope it all goes well. :)

NicolaD

This will all make sense tomorrow
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with thothguard51. Let the agent lead, and if feel like you need clarification on a comment, ask for it.

If you want to write something down, write a few stats and facts on your ms. Wordcount, genre, plot outline, if it's a stand alone or part of a series etc. Honestly, when you're freaking-out nervous it is AMAZING the really dumb, basic stuff that can flee your brain.

Good luck with your sessions! :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Agree with others above: let the agent lead. However, if silence falls, your list of questions should be adequate to fill the allotted time.

I'd also have a kick-ass elevator pitch memorized, in case the agent asks for it -- or in case you actually are on an elevator with another agent or three.

Yes, the most important question is: Would you ask for more or reject based on these pages, and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.