What were your favorite toys when you were a kid?

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I've been at home for the past couple days, laid up with a mysterious ailment (sore throat & fever, superhuman strength, x-ray vision, overactive imagination). The whole thing has made me nostalgic for some of the childhood toys that always kept me company whenever I stayed home from school:

First off, there was my stamp collection. My mom bought me a softcover beginner's stamp album, the H.E. Harris "Explorer" album, when I was like...four years old. She also gave me a huge bag of worldwide stamps to go with it. The bag included zillions of stamps from Spain that pictured Francisco Franco, for some reason. I really loved working on my stamp collection back then, especially on sick days.

Then there was Sandlot Slugger. This was a baseball toy featuring a plastic mechanical batter that could swat a ping pong ball across an average-size living room, at the touch of a button. I would play this game alone, bashing homers against my bedroom walls, or with my younger brothers standing in as outfielders. Very cool game!

I also loved Sure Shot Hockey, a small tabletop ice hockey rink. With two plastic figurines on each team and a black marble as the "puck", this game was pure lightning-fast excitement. :Thumbs:

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Hula Hoop

My niece (22 years old, now) was a toddler hula hoop master! If hula hoop were an Olympic event, she would have easily won the Gold Medal. Easily. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lincoln logs, slinky, Simon, Spirograph, Rubix Cube, Lite Brite, Viewmaster, Speak and Spell, Little Professor, Inchworm, Operation, Perfection, Superfection

Gitanjali

Banned
Reaction score
MiChX.jpg

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
First I would like to condemn myself as the biggest idiot on the planet for not keeping these toys as they would allow me to retire now.
1.The original superheros line with removeable masks and gloves. Yes they were dolls but they could kick Barbies butt or make her their sex slave (which was inevitable)
2. The large GI Joes. Had the jeep, HQ, several of the 'action figures' (dolls), all with removable clothes so they could get down with Barbie (come on, you know you did this too!)
3. The Six Million Dollar Man, ok it's just doll from here on, with the roll up 'skin' on the bionic arm and leg and the little peephole thru his head like it was bionic and should have been creepy but was so freakin' cool.
4. Smash up Derby. Cars that dent but don't break (right away) AND you can fix the dents! So cool.
5. Big Wheels. Get up a head of speed and brake. Nuff said.
6. Stretch Armstrong. Anyone with an older sister knows that Stretch was in your corner.

I'm sure there's more...

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Before I started school, it was a blue Tonka tow truck. Nearly indestructable. My brother and I had been throwing toys at a beehive in the hedge and were too scared to retrieve them. We were down the last toy, my Tonka truck, when our little brother rode his tricycle by on the other side. The truck split the beehive in half. Little brother set a new tricycle speed record before crashing. He had 26 bee stings on his back. Forty years later, he's still mad about it. I mean, who treats their toys that way?

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Mighty Max playsets. Action Man. Cases of Lego and K'Nex. Tamagotchis!

One of my big favourites: a couple of uncles gave me a pile of their Star Wars action figures, released (I'm guessing) about the same time as the original films. The sort of thing that would sell for ridiculous money now... if they'd been looked after. Oh, the adventures I took Headless Han Solo and The One-Armed Rancor on.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
SNES games, LEGOs, Transformers toys, GI Joe action figures (the smaller kind), Battleship, Chess, assorted other board games I can't remember the name of, marbles, a quite nice Yo-Yo.

Umm, yeah, that was pretty much the main ones...

Oh! What were those little toy cars called? They were really popular... Ack, can't remember the name! I used to put pens/pencils/crayons on the floor in the shape of a race-track (different every time) and act out races with all my little toy cars. It was strangely fun...

Damn, what were they called? *plods off into recesses of mind*

ETA: Matchbox cars they were!

Last edited:

Corussa

I fight like a dairy farmer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sylvanians (and some Playmobil). And I still have them, hurrah. Not here - they're at my mum's house. Don't know how impressed she is about that... :D

What I remember of them is that they frequently seemed to be in disaster situations - there was often a storm coming, or a rising flood, for them to escape from. Yay for drama. Though my brother trailing my porcelain donkey and cart up and down between the Sylvanian houses, chanting 'Bring out your dead', was most definitely NOT appreciated (well, only retrospectively).

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I swear sometimes it feels like Vito is me, posting under a different username. It's so strange how much we have in common, which I noticed some time ago yet attributed to just a fluke. But now, with the addition of his favorite childhood games, I think he must be one of my brothers posting here to freak me out...

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Spirograph

Lite Brite

Viewmaster

I loved my Spirograph and my Viewmaster.

I once asked for Lite Brite for Christmas, but never got it. (I think Santa Claus wasn't very pleased with my behavior that year, if you know what I mean). ;)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I swear sometimes it feels like Vito is me, posting under a different username. It's so strange how much we have in common, which I noticed some time ago yet attributed to just a fluke. But now, with the addition of his favorite childhood games, I think he must be one of my brothers posting here to freak me out...

:ROFL:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I spent most of my time reading, drawing, and playing games.

But I did like LEGO.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
When I really wasn't feeling well (measles, etc.), I had my books all over the bed. If I had any energy atall, it was my cap pistols and holster set.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I spent most of my time reading, drawing, and playing games.

Books are great companions when you're sick, regardless of age. Even when you're pushin' 50, like me! :ROFL:

Drawing was always a fun way to spend an hour or two, when I was a kid. Sometimes I would draw free-hand, other times I would put white paper on top of the newspaper comics page and use a pencil to trace my favorite cartoon characters -- Dennis the Menace, Beetle Bailey, and Charlie Brown.

I always liked board games, too, although my youngest brother always cheated at Monopoly. Definitely not cool! :rant: