PDA

View Full Version : What were your favorite toys when you were a kid?

Vito
10-26-2012, 10:48 PM
I've been at home for the past couple days, laid up with a mysterious ailment (sore throat & fever, superhuman strength, x-ray vision, overactive imagination). The whole thing has made me nostalgic for some of the childhood toys that always kept me company whenever I stayed home from school:

First off, there was my stamp collection. My mom bought me a softcover beginner's stamp album, the H.E. Harris "Explorer" album, when I was like...four years old. She also gave me a huge bag of worldwide stamps to go with it. The bag included zillions of stamps from Spain that pictured Francisco Franco, for some reason. I really loved working on my stamp collection back then, especially on sick days.

Then there was Sandlot Slugger. This was a baseball toy featuring a plastic mechanical batter that could swat a ping pong ball across an average-size living room, at the touch of a button. I would play this game alone, bashing homers against my bedroom walls, or with my younger brothers standing in as outfielders. Very cool game!

I also loved Sure Shot Hockey, a small tabletop ice hockey rink. With two plastic figurines on each team and a black marble as the "puck", this game was pure lightning-fast excitement. :Thumbs:

Lavern08
10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Hula Hoop

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Slinky. And Wahoo! with my dad.

Vito
10-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Hula Hoop

My niece (22 years old, now) was a toddler hula hoop master! If hula hoop were an Olympic event, she would have easily won the Gold Medal. Easily. :)

randi.lee
10-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Lincoln Logs!

Vito
10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Slinky

I always loved the Slinky. But I was always disappointed that I couldn't get it to walk down a staircase, like it did on the TV commercial.

Vito
10-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Lincoln Logs!

I loved 'em, too! One Christmas I received Lincoln Logs from my parents and a biography of Abraham Lincoln from my aunt. So incredibly cool!

regdog
10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Lincoln logs, slinky, Simon, Spirograph, Rubix Cube, Lite Brite, Viewmaster, Speak and Spell, Little Professor, Inchworm, Operation, Perfection, Superfection

Gitanjali
10-26-2012, 11:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MiChX.jpg

quickWit
10-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Vertibird

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSQQo5S5yd0&feature=related

Jess Haines
10-26-2012, 11:32 PM
My Little Ponies, Barbie, Legos, Atari, and my sketchbooks.

druid12000
10-26-2012, 11:55 PM
First I would like to condemn myself as the biggest idiot on the planet for not keeping these toys as they would allow me to retire now.
1.The original superheros line with removeable masks and gloves. Yes they were dolls but they could kick Barbies butt or make her their sex slave (which was inevitable)
2. The large GI Joes. Had the jeep, HQ, several of the 'action figures' (dolls), all with removable clothes so they could get down with Barbie (come on, you know you did this too!)
3. The Six Million Dollar Man, ok it's just doll from here on, with the roll up 'skin' on the bionic arm and leg and the little peephole thru his head like it was bionic and should have been creepy but was so freakin' cool.
4. Smash up Derby. Cars that dent but don't break (right away) AND you can fix the dents! So cool.
5. Big Wheels. Get up a head of speed and brake. Nuff said.
6. Stretch Armstrong. Anyone with an older sister knows that Stretch was in your corner.

I'm sure there's more...

archerjoe
10-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Before I started school, it was a blue Tonka tow truck. Nearly indestructable. My brother and I had been throwing toys at a beehive in the hedge and were too scared to retrieve them. We were down the last toy, my Tonka truck, when our little brother rode his tricycle by on the other side. The truck split the beehive in half. Little brother set a new tricycle speed record before crashing. He had 26 bee stings on his back. Forty years later, he's still mad about it. I mean, who treats their toys that way?

Kaiser-Kun
10-27-2012, 12:19 AM
LEGOs.

Wicked
10-27-2012, 12:21 AM
The original Little People castle, because it came with a dragon.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/74367759/vintage-1974-fisher-price-little-people

I still have the little pink dragon, but she's looking pretty rough.

Six Alaric
10-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Mighty Max playsets. Action Man. Cases of Lego and K'Nex. Tamagotchis!

One of my big favourites: a couple of uncles gave me a pile of their Star Wars action figures, released (I'm guessing) about the same time as the original films. The sort of thing that would sell for ridiculous money now... if they'd been looked after. Oh, the adventures I took Headless Han Solo and The One-Armed Rancor on.

Cliff Face
10-27-2012, 01:59 AM
SNES games, LEGOs, Transformers toys, GI Joe action figures (the smaller kind), Battleship, Chess, assorted other board games I can't remember the name of, marbles, a quite nice Yo-Yo.

Umm, yeah, that was pretty much the main ones...

Oh! What were those little toy cars called? They were really popular... Ack, can't remember the name! I used to put pens/pencils/crayons on the floor in the shape of a race-track (different every time) and act out races with all my little toy cars. It was strangely fun...

Damn, what were they called? *plods off into recesses of mind*

ETA: Matchbox cars they were!

Corussa
10-27-2012, 02:46 AM
Sylvanians (and some Playmobil). And I still have them, hurrah. Not here - they're at my mum's house. Don't know how impressed she is about that... :D

What I remember of them is that they frequently seemed to be in disaster situations - there was often a storm coming, or a rising flood, for them to escape from. Yay for drama. Though my brother trailing my porcelain donkey and cart up and down between the Sylvanian houses, chanting 'Bring out your dead', was most definitely NOT appreciated (well, only retrospectively).

Silver King
10-27-2012, 03:47 AM
I swear sometimes it feels like Vito is me, posting under a different username. It's so strange how much we have in common, which I noticed some time ago yet attributed to just a fluke. But now, with the addition of his favorite childhood games, I think he must be one of my brothers posting here to freak me out...

Vito
10-27-2012, 03:47 AM
Spirograph

Lite Brite

Viewmaster

I loved my Spirograph and my Viewmaster.

I once asked for Lite Brite for Christmas, but never got it. (I think Santa Claus wasn't very pleased with my behavior that year, if you know what I mean). ;)

Vito
10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
I swear sometimes it feels like Vito is me, posting under a different username. It's so strange how much we have in common, which I noticed some time ago yet attributed to just a fluke. But now, with the addition of his favorite childhood games, I think he must be one of my brothers posting here to freak me out...

:ROFL:

LJD
10-27-2012, 03:58 AM
Well, I spent most of my time reading, drawing, and playing games.

But I did like LEGO.

rhymegirl
10-27-2012, 04:04 AM
I can't remember that far back.

Ari Meermans
10-27-2012, 04:11 AM
When I really wasn't feeling well (measles, etc.), I had my books all over the bed. If I had any energy atall, it was my cap pistols and holster set.

Vito
10-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Well, I spent most of my time reading, drawing, and playing games.

Books are great companions when you're sick, regardless of age. Even when you're pushin' 50, like me! :ROFL:

Drawing was always a fun way to spend an hour or two, when I was a kid. Sometimes I would draw free-hand, other times I would put white paper on top of the newspaper comics page and use a pencil to trace my favorite cartoon characters -- Dennis the Menace, Beetle Bailey, and Charlie Brown.

I always liked board games, too, although my youngest brother always cheated at Monopoly. Definitely not cool! :rant:

regdog
10-27-2012, 11:29 PM
I loved my Spirograph and my Viewmaster.

I once asked for Lite Brite for Christmas, but never got it. (I think Santa Claus wasn't very pleased with my behavior that year, if you know what I mean). ;)

I asked for a Snoopy SnoCone machine for the longest time and never got one. I found one a few years a ago and bought it :D I refuse to grow up. I also bought the exact same 2 snoopy lunch boxes I had as a kid.

Vito
10-28-2012, 01:50 AM
I asked for a Snoopy SnoCone machine for the longest time and never got one. I found one a few years a ago and bought it :D

I also wanted a sno-cone machine, but never quite pulled it off. Closest I got was a Donald Duck popsicle-maker. :)

Jehhillenberg
10-28-2012, 01:51 AM
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/Egyptian-Pharaoh/playdough.jpg

if it counts

Komnena
10-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Breyer model horses.

LadyV
10-28-2012, 03:34 AM
My collection of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures. I had almost all of them.

Anything dinosaur too.

Cliff Face
10-28-2012, 03:57 AM
OMG, how did I forget dinosaur toys?!

At the age of 5 I knew most of the names of the dinosaurs, common and latin.

Now? Now I know virtually none of them. *sigh* I'd love to reacquaint myself with dinosaurs. :)

KawaiiTimes
10-28-2012, 10:06 AM
paint brushes.

Loveless
10-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Well now, this is pathetic.

I never had toys of my own when I was little. I only remember a dim lit room, a mattress in the corner, and a telly on white noise.

It's no wonder I'm asocial and a nutter :)

stormie
10-28-2012, 10:07 PM
LEGO.

Susie
10-28-2012, 10:47 PM
my walkie-talkie doll. :)

buz
10-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Ninja Turtles. General dinosaur and animal toys. Once my mom got me this pink frilly baby doll; I think she thought I wasn't girly enough...and I was kind of fascinated with it, because when you fed it, it "peed" itself. And I was like WHAT MAGIC IS THIS.

I also had an American Girl doll, but I mostly cast her in scenarios with dinosaurs or wild animals that chased her in the wilderness and she had to kill them to survive.

I thought moon shoes were pretty rad for a while. ...I thought almost everything was rad for the first five minutes. :P

My favorite video game was E.V.O. for a long time.

kkbe
10-28-2012, 11:17 PM
A mouse tree house (w/ elevator). Came w/ a mouse family. I loved it.
Troll Village w/ plastic cave, rock formations, palm trees and stuff.
Creepy Crawlers, you could make bugs: pour the gook in the molds, shut the lid and cook it. The plate got hot like a waffle iron. I burned myself a lot.
Oh yeah, an Incredible Edibles, same deal. Kind of.
We had this space age doll house, all these brightly colored, clear plastic parts you had to put together. We never actually played w/ it. It took hours and hours to put the thing together and by the time we were done, we were sick of it. :D

Vito
10-28-2012, 11:28 PM
a telly on white noise.

Perfect for drawing on the TV screen! Check it out...

http://superradnow.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/685b4a22824392ef_landing.jpg

Goldenleaves
10-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Paper, pencils, books.
Books, paper, pens.
Crayons, books, paper.
Oh yes, and scissors and sellotape.
And comics.

Given all these things I would happily make heavily populated castles, boats, zoos, all sorts which could then be disposed of when I got tired of them.

Way more fun than stuff from the shops which didn't live up to my expectations.

IAMWRITER
10-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I remember this :
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUQY4qWv8gJT6kZlBSl3KXWJhCZ8iWD 2ibbQlKkut5LVcVJnLw
and thinking about it now, it was disgusting. But then it was one of the "it" things at school and you had to have one.

Other than that it was wrestling figures and LEGO which I still have but will never part with.

(And yes, I was the ultimate tomboy!)

LJD
10-29-2012, 04:13 AM
OMG, how did I forget dinosaur toys?!

At the age of 5 I knew most of the names of the dinosaurs, common and latin.

Now? Now I know virtually none of them. *sigh* I'd love to reacquaint myself with dinosaurs. :)

We had lots of toy dinosaurs too.
And books about dinosaurs were always being signed out from the library.
I remember many of the names, but not as many as I knew when I was 7. My dad would read all these library books to us and I would say, Daddy, that's not how the name is pronounced! (Translation: that's not how you pronounced it last time.)

Cliff Face
10-29-2012, 04:21 AM
Mmm. I didn't have all that many dinosaur toys (enough to play out some violent attacks :tongue) but had a few books about them. I think at one point I knew the names of roughly 30 or 40 dinosaurs, along with memorised pictures...

That's a lot for a 6-year-old to know! I now know roughly 4 or 5 off the top of my head...

reiver33
10-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Lego!

buz
10-29-2012, 06:40 AM
That's a lot for a 6-year-old to know! I now know roughly 4 or 5 off the top of my head...

My acquaintance with young children is limited, but from what I can tell, a lot of kids are very good at accumulating a vast amount of knowledge about a particular subject. Often dinosaurs or trucks or something...I once had an 8-year-old lecture me on the history of the Knights Templar.

As far as life experience goes, they don't know much, but when it comes to soaking up facts, kids can be pretty damn smart :D

Then of course you get older and forget it all and you're like, crap bitches, I used to be so smart, what the hell?

I blame puberty. Puberty ruins everything. :P

lastlittlebird
10-29-2012, 06:54 AM
I was a dab hand at knucklebones. I remember being absolutely thrilled when I got to play with a set of real (sheep) knucklebones on a school camping trip.

I'm not sure I can pick a favourite though. I was always very sensitive to my toys' feelings.

Cliff Face
10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Then of course you get older and forget it all and you're like, crap bitches, I used to be so smart, what the hell?

I blame puberty. Puberty ruins everything. :P

LOL. I blame Primary School.

Once I started playing sports at school, I stopped obsessing about dinosaurs... Now I'm too unfit to play anything but bowling, and regret not sticking it out with the dinosaurs. :tongue

Bogna
10-29-2012, 07:05 AM
My giant pink plastic Barbie house, all of my Babies the their mountains of clothes. I also loved Duplos. I still love Duplos more than Legos. I had the Victorian era Playmobile house (all of the levels) and tons of add ons to the Playmobile world. I still love that thing to death.

Walter White
10-29-2012, 08:31 AM
1st generation gameboy. Would take up the entire front pocket of a pair of jeans.

KellyAssauer
10-29-2012, 02:32 PM
My favorite play toy when I was a kid...
was little Billy Wallace who lived door.

:Shrug:

regdog
10-29-2012, 03:17 PM
http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss171/Egyptian-Pharaoh/playdough.jpg

if it counts

My mother wouldn't allow Playdough in the house, but my aunt did:D.
I wasn't allowed finger paints either and I loved that stuff.