PDA

View Full Version : Question about life in US Army

CEtchison
10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
My story involves members of the 1st Batt, 75th Regiment and I have a few minor/hypothetical items and would like opinions. I realize this is kind of small stuff, but if I can get it right, I'd prefer to. :)

1) The battalion has their own chaplain and asst. chaplains. When the battalion is deployed, would both the chaplain and asst. chaplain go? Or does the highest rank remain stateside? Or if they are all deployed and the regiment has members KIA, would any chaplain from the same base go with Rangers as they notify the next of kin?

2) Two brothers serve in the same battalion. On is an E-6, the other a O-4 (medical officer). Since they are immediate family, is it right to assume fraternization rules would not apply? But if the E-6 and his buddies have a barbecue/party/some other type of social gathering, is it right to assume the O-4 would not attend?

3) Lastly, in those social situations, where the E-6 is a squad leader within the Regiment, would a barbecue/party most likely involve members of the squad from top to bottom or only those closest in rank to him such as E-5s to E-7s?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Drachen Jager
10-27-2012, 03:27 AM
I do not have direct experience, my experience comes from the Canadian Army, but it will be similar.

1) Depends on the deployment. Normally all chaplains would go, but one of the assistants might stay under special circumstances. I do not know who notifies NOK.

2) Fraternization rules apply when one is a direct superior to the other. In this case there would be no such conflict. AFAIK Fraternization rules govern conduct that is more intimate than simply attending the same BBQ.

3) No idea, depends partly on the nature of the party. If it was semi-official then all would attend without problem, if it was completely casual it would fall partly down to the nature of the soldiers involved. Some officers prefer to be close with their men, some prefer to remain more aloof.

Linda Adams
10-28-2012, 05:34 AM
I could be wrong on this, but I believe a medical officer -- which would be a doctor -- would not be assigned to a unit like the 75th. That's a medical position, so they likely be assigned to a medical unit and working at the hospital. Even Sick Call had its own unit, and we usually didn't get officer doctors there (often a Physician's Assistant).

Granted, my experience is with the other army units on Fort Lewis and how they operate. By the way, check on this: An O-4 may be an intern. One time I was up at the hospital, and they had a duty roster posted. There was only one person identified as a doctor: the full bird colonel. Everyone else was an intern.

Haggis
10-28-2012, 05:44 AM
My story involves members of the 1st Batt, 75th Regiment and I have a few minor/hypothetical items and would like opinions. I realize this is kind of small stuff, but if I can get it right, I'd prefer to. :)

1) The battalion has their own chaplain and asst. chaplains. When the battalion is deployed, would both the chaplain and asst. chaplain go? Or does the highest rank remain stateside? Or if they are all deployed and the regiment has members KIA, would any chaplain from the same base go with Rangers as they notify the next of kin?

2) Two brothers serve in the same battalion. On is an E-6, the other a O-4 (medical officer). Since they are immediate family, is it right to assume fraternization rules would not apply? But if the E-6 and his buddies have a barbecue/party/some other type of social gathering, is it right to assume the O-4 would not attend?

3) Lastly, in those social situations, where the E-6 is a squad leader within the Regiment, would a barbecue/party most likely involve members of the squad from top to bottom or only those closest in rank to him such as E-5s to E-7s?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

NOK notifications are conducted by military stationed near where the soldier's next of kin live. They are not necessarily in the same unit as the deceased soldier. At least that was true during the Vietnam era. Now, what with National Guard units doing more and more, that may have changed.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe a medical officer -- which would be a doctor -- would not be assigned to a unit like the 75th. That's a medical position, so they likely be assigned to a medical unit and working at the hospital. Even Sick Call had its own unit, and we usually didn't get officer doctors there (often a Physician's Assistant).

Granted, my experience is with the other army units on Fort Lewis and how they operate. By the way, check on this: An O-4 may be an intern. One time I was up at the hospital, and they had a duty roster posted. There was only one person identified as a doctor: the full bird colonel. Everyone else was an intern.
An O-4 would be an Army Major and I can't imagine any circumstances in which he would be an intern. An HO4 (House Officer 4) might be a chief resident, a civilian position in a hospital, but it usually takes at least a half dozen years of service for someone to achieve 0-4--and that's when they've started as a Captain--something doctors can do.

espresso5
10-29-2012, 03:36 AM
I assume you're talking about the 75th Ranger Regiment?
1. Not sure. My guess is that it would depend on the demands of the mission. If the whole BN is deployed I think both would go.
2. There would be absolutely no issue with fraternization in this case as long as they don't go out and cause trouble. Is the O4 a physician? Doctors sort of fall outside typical discipline and army protocol, although the 75th may be different.
3. It depends. There would be no issue with having the whole squad show up, as long as the Joes don't get out of control and the NCOs don't start hazing. If you're talking platoon leaders and company commanders, there might or might not be an issue. We had company BBQs all the time and went out drinking in mixed groups of officers and NCOs (no E1-E4) and there were never issues, but it might be a different story in the 75th. The big no-no in terms of fraternization is romantic involvement between NCOs and officers, or general romantic involvement with individuals in one's chain of command.

espresso5
10-29-2012, 03:45 AM
By the way, check on this: An O-4 may be an intern. One time I was up at the hospital, and they had a duty roster posted. There was only one person identified as a doctor: the full bird colonel. Everyone else was an intern.

In medicine an intern is a doctor who doesn't yet have full licensing, but has a medical degree.

CEtchison
10-29-2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the responses. It's one of those little things I just wanted to double check.

Libby ~ the 75th Ranger Regiment isn't like other groups within the Army. Each battalion is assigned their own medical officer to care specifically for those within the battalion. They are also Airborne qualified and Ranger tabbed since the battalions often conduct missions that are behind enemy lines where an aid station or hospital wouldn't have been established yet.

[QUOTE=espresso5;7707374] It depends. There would be no issue with having the whole squad show up, as long as the Joes don't get out of control and the NCOs don't start hazing. /QUOTE]

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for your assistance.

EmilyR
10-30-2012, 07:21 AM
Okay, so I'm late, but I'll throw my 2 cents in. Both the Chaplin and the Chaplin Assistant can be deployed. I have a friend who is an assistant, and is deployed right now.

As for the whole rank thing and hanging out, here's how it's worked with us. My hubby (E-6) and I have attended many cook outs hosted by officers. They were open to everyone in the unit and were considered a unit function. We often attend cook outs that are for my hubby's unit and just the enlisted guys of all ranks too.

A good rule of thumb is that as long as it's something for everyone, it doesn't usually matter the rank of those attending. When you start hanging out on your down time with people, you usually (but not always) stick with people pretty close to your rank. You start to get into that weird area on what do you do when you have to be the boss of your friends. It's best not to put yourself in that situation.

Hope that helps a little.