Italian Translation

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
I've asked in the Italian thread in the International District forum on AW but haven't received much response, so I thought I would ask here seeing how this area gets more traffic. I have a bit of dialogue I want translated. A little about the work, first. My story takes place in the 15th century (Hungary, for the most part). My MC has a tutor who is teaching him Italian, the queen's Italian, as she is from Naples. This is a short greeting my MC says to a group of young women, his wife and her ladies. He says to them:

"Good day, ladies. You all look beautiful on this splendid morning."

He pretty much says it to be a show off, since none of the young women understand a word of it. I don't know if such a short passage would matter with dialect from one area of Italy from another, I suppose just basic Italian would work. I may need more translations again in the future, but that would be the far future, and if needed I'll come back to this thread. Thanks in advance.

xKatya

Registered
Reaction score
I love that you called it "the queen's Italian"... ;)

Er, your problem is going to be that Italian as a unified language didn't really exist in the 15th century. Also, depending on exactly when your story is set, chances are Naples was controlled by the Spanish (specifically the Aragonese) at that time. So it's a complicated question.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
My husband speaks Sicilian dialect, but I think there are a few family members who speak Neapolitan dialect. I'll ask them for a translation, although 'modern' Neapolitan probably differs a little from 'classic' Neapolitan.