Need Japanese readers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Move at will. I know that this is probably the wrong forum to ask, but I can't find the forum where I'd put it. (Did the swapping forum go poof or am I remembering another website?)

I don't want to put it in Share Your Work, 'cause I need more of a fact check than an editing check. And it doesn't belong in the research forum because I'm not asking a specific question.

Anyway, I set a short story in Japan. I've asked a friend of mine to do fast fact check and the rest of my Japanese friends are kinda busy... so I need other people who are Japanese to make sure nothing is off in the portrayal and wallop me if there is anything off.

I've gotten readers who *were* in Japan, but not Japanese... so I need someone who is Japanese to make the final checks.

Story is about 3,800 words. "Michiko finds a kitsune on her doorstep who remembers her, but she does not remember him." Slice of Life, Fantasy.

Has no samurai, geisha, katana, sex workers, anime references, bar workers and is set in contemporary times in Kyoto. Does have a tofu shop owner, an older female and a kitsune (fox changeling). (I avoided all the stereotypes, 'cause I was kinda sick of it, personally.)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Has no samurai, geisha, katana, sex workers, anime references, bar workers and is set in contemporary times in Kyoto. Does have a tofu shop owner, an older female and a kitsune (fox changeling). (I avoided all the stereotypes, 'cause I was kinda sick of it, personally.)

Wait.

Tofu, older females, and kitsune aren't stereotypes?

:tongue

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I lived there for several years. I know it's note exactly the same, but I could at least give you a good idea if there was anything egregious. I've also been to Kyoto several times (LOVE it there). I'll be happy to take a look if you want.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Wait.

Tofu, older females, and kitsune aren't stereotypes?

:tongue

I know how disappointed you are. ^.~ I mean I could have repeated this: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250101 and had a white girl play a Japanese girl in a reincarnation and have her Japanese boyfriend with a given name of Kim.

or gone with Hakama with nothing underneath and done all my research on Wikipedia, thus throwing away all the work I did learning Japanese, going to Japan, talking to Japanese people, making Japanese friends, watching Japanese dramas and learning about Japanese history. Hey, throw some Aiyas in there to make it "authentic"

I, too, wanted a teenage young thing as cover art with someone holding a sword wrong with her top practically non-existent so I could use the education I did have to say the words, "I am not racist."

But you know what writers love to say, it's so overdone. It's cliche, so I had to do something new.

*obviously joking*

I lived there for several years. I know it's note exactly the same, but I could at least give you a good idea if there was anything egregious. I've also been to Kyoto several times (LOVE it there). I'll be happy to take a look if you want.
Thanks. I can send it your way. Should I PM?

I think I cleared most of the major hurdles since I did a fairly good study of Japan, but I just want to make sure that it's not too much of an exogenous view of the people...

Just needs a quick skim. And don't be afraid to hit me hard. =P

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, a PM is fine. And trust me, I have no problem being critical if need be. ;) I'm also just nice when I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.