Requesting Revisions Before Contract?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Hi --

My agent has informed me that an editor at one of the publishing houses would like for me to extend my novel. The editor is going to pass along some specific revisions/ideas to direct me in the writing. No word, however, about a contract to publish the novel.

I was under the impression that an in-house editor works with a writer AFTER a contract is signed. No? Is it common practice to ask for revisions (including additions) to a manuscript before making a commitment to purchase?

Just curious. I am not opposed to making changes at all --

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
smallthunder said:
Hi --

I was under the impression that an in-house editor works with a writer AFTER a contract is signed. No? Is it common practice to ask for revisions (including additions) to a manuscript before making a commitment to purchase?

Just curious. I am not opposed to making changes at all --

Why not just have a chat with the agent. Say that you don't mind making the changes, but only on the basis of a contract.

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I just went through this -- there was a possibility that a publisher was going to ask for a re-write before making any kind of offer, and my agent said it would be up to me to do it or not.

I think in your case, the publisher is probably not sure enough of the book to make an offer yet and wants to see the end result before deciding. Do you agree with the suggested changes, or haven't you seen them yet?

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
illiterwrite said:
I just went through this -- there was a possibility that a publisher was going to ask for a re-write before making any kind of offer, and my agent said it would be up to me to do it or not.

I think in your case, the publisher is probably not sure enough of the book to make an offer yet and wants to see the end result before deciding. Do you agree with the suggested changes, or haven't you seen them yet?

I haven't seen the suggestions yet -- althought I think the main request is to expand a bit before ending the novel. I believe that doing so could make the novel better, because I see (in retrospect, and from reading the other publishers' very-complimentary-but-still-rejection letters) that I held back a great deal. Not that this novel is short or undeveloped -- but I have always intended to make this into a series, and so didn't develop some points in this, the first. Wrong move.

So, illiterwrite -- what sort of revisions were you going to be asked to undertake prior to an offer, and were you planning to agree to do so? The way you phrase your experience suggests that you got an offer from some other publisher without such strings attached ... or the request was never officially made & the publisher offered you a contract offered anyway ... or am I way off, here?

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
My agent called the editor when she indicated an interest (and when she asked if I'd consider a rewrite); after talking for a while, the editor asked for a meeting with me. I met with the editor and publisher and talked about my book (with my agent). They wanted significant changes, and I expressed enthusiasm about doing them, because I knew they were right. They came back with an offer a day later, so I didn't have to rewrite without a contract, but yes, I would have. Why? Because I knew they were interested, but as a first-time novelist, they couldn't know for sure if I could pull it off (i.e., if I was serious about my writing). I wouldn't have blamed them if they didn't offer before the rewrite (and my agent warned me it could happen).

:) I would say that if you think their changes would make your novel better, then you should do it. They'll see that you're eager to work with them and will hopefully take on your novel after your rewrite!