Seattle Washington

L.Blake

Soaking up information.
Registered
Reaction score
I think I have google mapped until I am cross-eyed. Could someone please tell me the busiest street around The Space Needle?

ETA: What about dialect? In California, they say "The 101" but in Utah they say I-15. I'm still talking about roads.

I'm hoping to spend spring break in Washington: Puyallup, Tacoma and Seattle areas.

Thanks.
L.

Last edited:

Karen Junker

Live a little. Write a lot.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.CascadeWriters.com
You want Broad Street or Mercer Street. Broad runs right past it -- Mercer is a block north. They're doing construction on Mercer near I-5 and it's called "the Mercer Mess".

Natives here say "I-5" for the main freeway, not "the"...however, there have been so many new people moving here from all over the world since the boom of places like Microsoft, Amazon, etc., you will hear some people say "The I-5".

There are lots of other ways you can tell a local native from someone who is from out of the area. For example when it's not raining and you can see Mt. Rainier, we say "the mountain is out today". Newcomers sometimes say that about the other mountain ranges, but I've never heard it said of other mountain ranges other than Mt. Rainier before the influx of newcomers in the late 80's. We call Pike Place Market just "The Market".

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of other ways you can tell a local native from someone who is from out of the area. For example when it's not raining and you can see Mt. Rainier, we say "the mountain is out today". Newcomers sometimes say that about the other mountain ranges, but I've never heard it said of other mountain ranges other than Mt. Rainier before the influx of newcomers in the late 80's.

We here in Anchorage say the same thing for the same reason about Mt. McKinley, which we also prefer to call by its native name, Denali.

caw

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
Denny runs alongside the Seattle Center as well. It's pretty busy, but not quite as bad as Mercer since there's no construction.

We drink pop, not soda. I'm sure there are a bunch more little differences in dialect but I'm not consciously aware of them. The biggest red flag that someone is not local is usually them pronouncing Puyallup like "Pew-uh-loop" or using an umbrella for rain.

L.Blake

Soaking up information.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Karen and Canotila.
Blacbird, I'm not sure I could survive in Alaska LOL.

L.