What is the best method for promotion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazywritingmom

Complete NEWBIE
Registered
Reaction score
Is it blog reviews, Amazon reviews, advertising, etc....

I have NO idea how to promote my book. Sigh.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Moved to the Book Promotion forum, wherein you'll find plenty of Ideas and Advice.

T J Deen

A Necessary Evil
Registered
Reaction score
I went ahead and signed up for what appears to be the major 3 social nets right now (Face book, Twitter, and Google +) Face book and Google plus both have the option to just sign your book up as a brand under entertainment categories)

Now the point of this was to launch a 'follow me' campaign where one of the lucky followers on all 3 social nets would win a free kindle.

Maybe it's a lame idea, maybe it isn't, but i know people like free things.

adrijus.g

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Have you read this thread yet? Lots of ideas there.

Wow.. so authors shouldn't engage with the people who reviewed their book at all? That's not nice.. As a reader I love to get even a small thank you from author/blogger/musician if I tweet them/comment/review..

I don't want to be pitched again for sure so that is a mistake if you pitch me your next book at once, but if you asked me what I liked, what I disliked etc I will be liking you more and getting more interested in your stuff probably..

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
A writer shouldn't have to ask a reviewer what they liked or disliked about the book: it should all be in the review.

And not engaging about a review isn't the same as not chatting on Twitter or elsewhere.

I note that adrijus advised a number of... interesting promotional activities before he flounced.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I would focus on getting more reviews on Amazon. All of your reviews are written by people who don't review books and so people "can" dismiss them as fake reviews.

- Find a couple people/bloggers who actively reviews memoirs, give them a free review copy, and ask for their honest opinion. Sweeten the deal by offering to giveaway a free copy to one of their followers. They are more likely to accept your request for review then.

- Get involved in GSA groups and maybe they will help with promoting your book.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to promote? Support your publisher's promotion department any way you can. Yep, one disadvantage to self-publishing is that you are the promotion department.

The secret to promotion, of any kind, is that there are no secrets. No one way works best, or for everyone. It's hard work and you have to try, and exhaust, every option before you figure out what didn't work.

There's an adage in advertising that 90% of all advertising dollars are wasted. But you never know which 90% it is.

Test and measure. Then change, test and measure again. You'll never be 100% satisfied, but maybe you'll hit the 10%.

Jeff

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
Brand spankin' new authors such as myself are starting from the very bottom. We have to work our way up. But places like AW helps tremendously in directing you to many resources. I mean, everyone knows that Twitter and Facebook are a must, but what to put on them can be tricky and so suggestions are always helpful. Same with a blog.

I'm always looking for reviews, so I'm seeking out other blogs where people are willing to review your book (and it should be for free!). Same with other sites like Goodreads, etc.

It's all pretty overwhelming, but I'm slowly getting into a groove each day for where I need to go, check, play a little on Twitter, etc.

Deleted member 42

Wow.. so authors shouldn't engage with the people who reviewed their book at all? That's not nice.. As a reader I love to get even a small thank you from author/blogger/musician if I tweet them/comment/review..

No, they really shouldn't.

It's a conflict of interest.

groovy

Registered
Reaction score
which reviewers do you trust?

I see so many different ideas about the best way to have your book reviewed. I would really appreciate what some of you have personally had success at? Which reviewers have you approached that are really worth that free book? And which type of reviewers do you avoid? Any good advice?

thanks in advance

Belld

Wont give up!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm like you. I'm not sure what is the best idea for promotion, but some authors are using youtube to promote, with book trailers. But I'm not sure how well it works as I am new to it and blogging. Thought I might mention it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Bell, how many books have you ever bought because you stumbled upon a great trailer for them on YouTube?

Think about why you buy the books you do. Work out what put them before you. Try to replicate that.

TroyJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tempestworks.com
Bell, how many books have you ever bought because you stumbled upon a great trailer for them on YouTube?

Think about why you buy the books you do. Work out what put them before you. Try to replicate that.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but most of the YouTube "trailers" I see for books are quite cheesy. I can't think of a single one I would buy because of a book trailer.

I didn't even think about doing a book trailer for my new novel for even a second, because, well.. it would be cheesy! :)

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I see so many different ideas about the best way to have your book reviewed. I would really appreciate what some of you have personally had success at? Which reviewers have you approached that are really worth that free book? And which type of reviewers do you avoid? Any good advice?

thanks in advance

Hey Groovy - are you self publishing? If so, I am too and this is what I did. It might be different for another genre - I write YA and there are a ton of YA book blogs out there. Teens are obsessive about books :)

Firstly, try here for a list of book bloggers http://bookbloggerdirectory.wordpress.com/ I'm not sure how up to date it is so be careful.

Find your genre and find blog sites you think are a good match to your book. Read the regulations on the site very carefully. This takes a lot of time and it's especially hard for self published authors because many don't accept self-published books. Some don't accept ebooks

I don't really know how to answer the 'who to approach and who not to' because I've had a decent experience with all the reviewers I've been in contact with. Some have also approached me for an interview or a guest post etc. I would say to just use your own judgement. If the blog doesn't look professional, or if they don't have many comments/followers, don't approach them.

One good place to network is Goodreads. In the YA groups there are always reviewers around looking for something to feature on their blog. There are also some people who just want a free book. That's why I send them an ebook and not a paperback, because it would cost too much otherwise.

Like many people have said - never reply to a review. It's a safe space for the reader to voice their opinions and should never be spoiled by the writer. It would put me off reviewing a book if I saw that the writer checks up on their own reviews. It would feel a bit weird. Just lurk and then everyone's happy.

Someone reviewed my book the other day and got the name of one of the main characters wrong. My fingers were itching to correct that. But I didn't.

GeekTells

Tick tock...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geektells.com
I can't personally testify to this, but I did read some blog posts from authors who said that the best way to promote your book is to write a new one. Their point was that sales of past books climbed every time they released a new title, and that this beat any other promotional efforts they had tried

I'd post the link(s) if I could remember where I read it.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No need to post a link to that discussion, Geek. It's true, and there are several members here who would agree with you.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I've found that every time I release a new title, sales of the other titles increase, so I believe it is one of the best ways to promote and market your books. Be sure to have links to your other books in your new release, of course.

groovy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Groovy - are you self publishing? If so, I am too and this is what I did. It might be different for another genre - I write YA and there are a ton of YA book blogs out there. Teens are obsessive about books :)

Firstly, try here for a list of book bloggers http://bookbloggerdirectory.wordpress.com/ I'm not sure how up to date it is so be careful.

Find your genre and find blog sites you think are a good match to your book. Read the regulations on the site very carefully. This takes a lot of time and it's especially hard for self published authors because many don't accept self-published books. Some don't accept ebooks

I don't really know how to answer the 'who to approach and who not to' because I've had a decent experience with all the reviewers I've been in contact with. Some have also approached me for an interview or a guest post etc. I would say to just use your own judgement. If the blog doesn't look professional, or if they don't have many comments/followers, don't approach them.

One good place to network is Goodreads. In the YA groups there are always reviewers around looking for something to feature on their blog. There are also some people who just want a free book. That's why I send them an ebook and not a paperback, because it would cost too much otherwise.

Like many people have said - never reply to a review. It's a safe space for the reader to voice their opinions and should never be spoiled by the writer. It would put me off reviewing a book if I saw that the writer checks up on their own reviews. It would feel a bit weird. Just lurk and then everyone's happy.

Someone reviewed my book the other day and got the name of one of the main characters wrong. My fingers were itching to correct that. But I didn't.

Thank you, SarahDalton, I'm going to try it. I self-publish romance e-books for now starting with Kindle Amazon. And, I would like to get as many as I can to review my work. I do notice that no one ever mentions the book clubs. I find them to be unreliable. Thanks again.

sarahdalton

Banned
Reaction score
I've not actually tried book clubs. Do you mean local book clubs?

I guess the problem would be having to give away paperback copies. That's just too costly for me at the moment.

Juganhuy

Registered
Reaction score
It is a combination of everything.

The more your book shows up during a search, the better. I guess people like to see that you are just not on one site. I know when I see a book that interests me is I google it for reviews on different sites and to see whats the cheapest price.

If the book comes back only on Amazon, I probably will not get it.

Start with your core sites (Main book webpage, main blog, main sales output, facebook) the work out from there, referencing those sites.

I built a page to get started in my sig if you want to check it out.

groovy

Registered
Reaction score
Old Timey Book Clubs

I've not actually tried book clubs. Do you mean local book clubs?

I guess the problem would be having to give away paperback copies. That's just too costly for me at the moment.

Actually, online book clubs. I remember when my first suspense novel came out, I found these online book clubs. They offered to review your book and post it on their site. Well, although I received good reviews, they didn't recommend it to their members so no sales, and a few just got free books and kept them. They certainly weren't as popular or professional as bloggers. (this was in '96 when there was no such thing as a blogger) It was like handing your book to a stranger as they passed you by on the street and you'd never hear from them again. I will never do that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.