PDA

View Full Version : Cannibal Holocaust

thekingsguard
10-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Did a retrospective (http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/2012/10/cannibal-holocaust.html) of the film with the release of Paranormal Activity 4. Has anyone else seen the movie? What are your thoughts if you have?

Celia Cyanide
10-24-2012, 05:36 AM
I love horror. But I can't watch real violence against animals.

jennontheisland
10-24-2012, 06:20 AM
It's been on my TBW list for a few months now. I've been working on some cannibalism ideas in my head and I came across it during research.

The animals thing doesn't bug me much. But I want to watch it with someone who will be able to parse it and our reactions to it in an analytical, non-emotional way, and that visit is still a few months away.

I'm really looking forward to it. In a "curious about my reactions" sort of way.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-24-2012, 07:53 AM
What Celia said. The fact that they killed real animals to make a MOVIE is all I need to know about that shit.

seun
10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Can't say this has ever appealed to me. And as the UK release is still cut, I'm in no hurry to watch it.

As for Paranormal Activity 4? Dear God. Make it stop.

Calla Lily
10-24-2012, 03:36 PM
They did WHAT?

Fuckheads.

seun
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Re the animal deaths, there is detailed info here as well as info as to why the BBFC cut the film - not particularly pleasant reading.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/GVV102579/

ETA: I should have pointed out there's a lot more graphic detail here than simply the info on the animal deaths. My bad. I cry your pardons.

Calla Lily
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Not clicking. I'll take your word for it, seun.

seun
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
The interesting thing is they cut a lot more back in 2001 than the most recent cuts, and they freely admit this was down to the 'disgusting' nature of the scenes as well as the film being included in the video nasty farce of the early 80s - rather than because of their own policies being applied properly.

Either way, the film sounds foul.

KateSmash
10-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I've seen the original cut because I'm something of a classic horror film junkie and it's the pretty much the Holy Grail of horror films (mostly because it's so difficult to find). I didn't know then that the animal scene were real. Let's just say that it's one of two films (the other being Men Behind the Sun) that I actually had to turn away from. And made a modest contribution to the local Humane Society the next day, because watching it just left me feeling pretty slimy.

It's not a film for everyone. But it still is one of the best "found footage" films I've seen. It has a pretty unflinching look at the carnage the young film crew leave in their wake for the next story and accolades. Which, I agree with your post, OP, does get lost in the controversy - which is a shame because a lot is said through Cannibal Holocaust that most of its contemporaries couldn't or wouldn't. I mean, it came out in an era when horror was all about who could be the bloodiest and nastiest, and this managed to do it with very little camp. It's always going to have an interesting place in film history, for better or worse.

All that said, I never plan to see it again. Once is enough.

Rhoda Nightingale
10-24-2012, 10:32 PM
THEY. KILLED. REAL. ANIMALS. No amount of "art" can justify that. None.

Kaiser-Kun
10-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Meh, not worth the time. Or the animal blood. If you want to feel disturbed about angry mobs, look up Canoa on YouTube. That gave me nightmares.

thekingsguard
10-25-2012, 01:24 AM
I would like to point out animal deaths were a tragic commonality in cinema back in the 1970s, early 1980s. Apocalypse Now for example, kills three animals on screen, most prominantly, a bull, and people hail it as one of the greatest movies of all time.

When it comes to Cannibal Holocuast, like I said in the article, I compare it to A Clockwork Orange when it comes to movies - you will either love it or hate it, and it will depend if you can look past the gore and content, and look to the cinematography and themes. In either case, it's not a pleasant film, and one that has sparked no end of controversy, deservedly so.

Xelebes
10-25-2012, 02:13 AM
THEY. KILLED. REAL. ANIMALS. No amount of "art" can justify that. None.

Save for husbandry and hunting, I guess.

I watched the film. It wasn't all that much of a gorefest, much more poignant. However, it was a step behind Man Behind the Sun in that regard.

KateSmash
10-25-2012, 03:11 AM
I watched the film. It wasn't all that much of a gorefest, much more poignant. However, it was a step behind Man Behind the Sun in that regard.

Poignancy, gore, or both? The fact that Men Behind the Sun used actual autopsy footage of a child pushed it over in both for me. (And now I'm not going to sleep tonight because I can see it when I close my eyes). Not to mention the very real subject matter which really wasn't touched outside of Hong Kong.

Although as far as exploitation as art statement (intentional or otherwise), I think they're both blown out of the water by SalÚ.

And I should walk away before this thread becomes about my grindhouse obsession.

Kaiser-Kun
10-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Although as far as exploitation as art statement (intentional or otherwise), I think they're both blown out of the water by [I]SalÚ.

My vote would go to August Underground, on the exploitation category...

Xelebes
10-25-2012, 04:01 AM
I've seen the original cut because I'm something of a classic horror film junkie and it's the pretty much the Holy Grail of horror films (mostly because it's so difficult to find). I didn't know then that the animal scene were real. Let's just say that it's one of two films (the other being Men Behind the Sun) that I actually had to turn away from. And made a modest contribution to the local Humane Society the next day, because watching it just left me feeling pretty slimy.

It's not a film for everyone. But it still is one of the best "found footage" films I've seen. It has a pretty unflinching look at the carnage the young film crew leave in their wake for the next story and accolades. Which, I agree with your post, OP, does get lost in the controversy - which is a shame because a lot is said through Cannibal Holocaust that most of its contemporaries couldn't or wouldn't. I mean, it came out in an era when horror was all about who could be the bloodiest and nastiest, and this managed to do it with very little camp. It's always going to have an interesting place in film history, for better or worse.

All that said, I never plan to see it again. Once is enough.

Eh, I found Salo sloppy. Sure, it had the gore and the offensiveness but that is what it was all about. The message the director was supposedly trying to elicit simply did not carry through.

childeroland
10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Real violence against animals for entertainment. Immoral garbage.

KateSmash
10-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Eh, I found Salo sloppy. Sure, it had the gore and the offensiveness but that is what it was all about. The message the director was supposedly trying to elicit simply did not carry through.

Really? I got the whole "Corrupt Fascist Libertines and the destruction of Italian culture through a reconstruction of the arguments of the Marquis de Sade" thing pretty well. Then again, I lived with a gigantic European history nerd too, and he'd never forgive me if I didn't pick up on it. Oh well, different strokes and all that.

But yeah, Pasolini could have done it better. The cinematography was pretty cruddy (though not the worst of the era) and the pacing kind of kills it in the middle.

Kaiser-Kun, I'm going to have to look into August Underground now. I must confess I haven't seen too many of the newer exploitation films. Now I have some new things to torture (pun only half intended) my poor husband with. :D

Celia Cyanide
10-25-2012, 07:20 AM
When it comes to Cannibal Holocuast, like I said in the article, I compare it to A Clockwork Orange when it comes to movies - you will either love it or hate it, and it will depend if you can look past the gore and content, and look to the cinematography and themes. In either case, it's not a pleasant film, and one that has sparked no end of controversy, deservedly so.

A Clockwork Orange is listed on the American Film Institute's list of the Greatest Films Ever Made. Cannibal Holocaust is not. Sure, it invented the "found footage" genre, but look at all the crap we have today because of that particular innovation.

Vaulted
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM
So where does meat come from again? ;)

childeroland
10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Not from animals tortured to death for entertainment.